Wolves vs Derby County - matchday thread.

Rev

1 hour ago, B4ev6is said:

I tell you why bittness towards nigel pearson he beaten out attacking style of play out of our players he got rid of chris martin were many derby fans want him back.

He got rid of the best goal keeper in the champership in lee grant and did damn best to get rid of our remaing best players.

Pearson thought he was here for the long haul and was making decisions based on this rightly or wrongly. I don't quite think he took the job with the intention of destroying a perfectly good side with a view to getting the sack a couple of months in.

I too do not understand this Pearson hatred. We were appalling under him for 2 months that's all and now he cannot do anymore damage as Mel acted quickly and the chapter is over.

We seem to be in a much better place now so lets just be thankful for that and forget about Pearson. He's not important.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Don't really get the bitterness towards Pearson, especially when half of the criticism is based on assumption not fact. I couldn't care any less. 

As long as we win, that'll do me. Two wins on the bounce for the first time this year will be a sweeter feeling than any ill feeling towards an opposition manager. 

You're right but I still would love to see his blockhead crying as we smash them.

I know he did what he thought was best at Derby.

But, I didn't like him before Derby. Always thought he's a loon. He's always told people stuff like "you'll know when I'm angry". He's always come across to me like an arrogant nut job. 

Then he comes to Derby, gets rid of Martin (how can he not be worth a place in the squad?), Grant and Buxton (players who I personally liked). From then on he needed good attacking football to win me over. It was negative *****. He expected 20 blokes to adapt to him rather than meet them halfway. And the results were awful.

And, I know it's not his fault, the constant banging on of "at Leicester..." did my fookin head in.

He got promoted and stayed up. He didn't win the PL. He didn't do anything more than get promoted and stay up. Paul Jewell did that. Twice. Two different clubs. And while we were going well under Mac every bad result was met with panic and comments about needing a proven manager like this knobber. 

"Pearson would have this team promoted. He wouldn't stand such gutless performances. At least the players would give 100% under him"

So maybe it's not fair and maybe it's petty. But I'd love him to take over and then we smash them. 

But he'll take over and they'll win. Cus that's what Derby do to us. 

Even his hair pisses me off

I'd just like us to smash them regardless of Pearson or not, I lived on the same street as the Molineux for 2 years in student halls only recently so would love to see us beat the Wolves. However it is a hard ground to go to. Only giving away supporters the lower tier of the East Stand makes it harder to create a good away atmosphere (also on TV doesn't help that). The Wolves faithful are mainly mad as hatters and are always in voice behind their team. I went in the home end against Walsall (East stand upper) in their League One season where they were beaten 1-0 and still not a negative atmosphere.  However, they were smashing League One at the time :lol:

12 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

I tell you why bittness towards nigel pearson he beaten out attacking style of play out of our players he got rid of chris martin were many derby fans want him back.

He got rid of the best goal keeper in the champership in lee grant and did damn best to get rid of our remaing best players.

Best keeper in the championship? Don't make me laugh. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. At the time the decisions he made were the right ones for me.Grant had the opportunity to earn more and play in a higher division, Pearson didn't 'get rid' at all. Easy to say it was the wrong decision to send Martin out when he is now scoring goals. At the time he went about 14/15 games without scoring and him and Pearson didn't see eye to eye. You're not going to keep someone if they aren't on board with your footballing philosophy, especially if they're mardy like Martin which could spread to and infest the rest of the dressing room. 

18 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Best keeper in the championship? Don't make me laugh. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. At the time the decisions he made were the right ones for me.Grant had the opportunity to earn more and play in a higher division, Pearson didn't 'get rid' at all. Easy to say it was the wrong decision to send Martin out when he is now scoring goals. At the time he went about 14/15 games without scoring and him and Pearson didn't see eye to eye. You're not going to keep someone if they aren't on board with your footballing philosophy, especially if they're mardy like Martin which could spread to and infest the rest of the dressing room. 

Honestly I think it was easy to say it was the wrong decision at the time given how late it was in the window, that he went out on loan and that an adequate replacement wasn't acquired. That's without arguing over whether he would have come good again.

3 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Honestly I think it was easy to say it was the wrong decision at the time given how late it was in the window, that he went out on loan and that an adequate replacement wasn't acquired. That's without arguing over whether he would have come good again.

I think that blame falls on the recruitment team rather than Pearson himself. I doubt Pearson made a last minute decision to get rid of Martin, he probably wanted him gone a lot sooner but the board tried to be clever by trying to get more money for him. I agree that I would have signed a like for like replacement but a better version than Martin.

Just looking at the fixtures after this game, other than Norwich they are very favourable until the New Year.

Of course every game is tough but if we could rack up a few wins we'd set ourselves up well for the second half of the campaign.

All ifs and buts though but I think there are reasons to be confident.

1 minute ago, McLovin said:

I think that blame falls on the recruitment team rather than Pearson himself. I doubt Pearson made a last minute decision to get rid of Martin, he probably wanted him gone a lot sooner but the board tried to be clever by trying to get more money for him. I agree that I would have signed a like for like replacement but a better version than Martin.

I think you are being far too generous to Pearson and too harsh on the recruitment team here after all there was very little transfer talk (either ins or outs) till very late in the window and for all their failings the board has a good track record of bringing in targets once identified.  We shouldn't have been thinking of letting Martin go unless we had a replacement nailed on. Either Pearson decided to act far too late in the window and was burned because of it or he completely misidentified what to 'fix' in the squad or a combination of both. My suspicion is it was a little of both.

Martin was never going to excel in plan Ostrich uber allez, as such, I could see the reasoning. Pearson obviously planned on Vydra and Willson to be quick running onto shackell's deadly clearances. A Marin Vydra combo might have been good. 

As things have not gone well that way, and Mac is back, hindsight is always 20/20. 

If we get him back by refunding some of the loan fee, do it. If its going to cost a lot, move onward. 

3 hours ago, McLovin said:

Who would you have signed?

37 minutes ago, bcnram said:

Who would you have signed?

Tell you what i watched a bit of the Brum derby yesterday - looking at Kodija and McCormack yesterday - we got away there!!!

Kodija (£11m - has no ball control and runs into blind alleys)

McCormack - (£12-14m) - looked overweight and not interested yesterday - couldn't move - taking his money

Murray did well fro Brighton and at the weekend - but not exactly pulling up trees

Where are Rhodes and Wickham?? not doing anything

Think we did well getting Vydra - one to develop - just need another bigger version to go with him - young and hungry....

17 hours ago, Warren Hobhead said:

Hughes back in for Hanson, my only change. That's not because I was unimpressed by Jamie on Saturday, far from it. Be good to get Bryson back involved too but I feel he'll have to settle for a place on the bench and be ready to take his chance should it arise. 

Very difficult place to go to, Molineux, but we've become hard to beat the last half-dozen games. I'd be happy with a point but if the players are on their game (ala Cardiff recently) we can take three points and go into the break confident of attacking the top six with (on paper) some easier fixtures on the horizon.

Why change a winning side? Hughes to start on the bench for me... 

21 hours ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Tough game, attritional but we keep our discipline and see out the clean sheet. Not sure where our goals will come from so I'm going for a drab goalless draw. Be ok with that i guess.

Tony mate, I've given you a like because your one of my online like mind/mates ...But reckon you're wrong on this one. Not saying we'll win but I smell goals in this one. Rams resurgent confidence and then some silly mistakes .. Thundering panicky 2-2 

anyway .. Chatter over .. I want to see us as Saturday last with the following changes ..

Lowe for Olson.

Hughes for Butterfield.

Vydra for Bent

maybe give Weiman a go instead of Johnny 

not because Jacob or Darren did anything wrong but because I want to see Vydra / Hughes in tandem, and I like Bradley Johnson in a forward role .. He has got his swagger back and we need to use it. He drops those annoying looping balls in to the box that panic defenders

8 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

What sort of message does that send out? 

Play your heart out, beat a very good opposition, back to the reserves when the regulars are back. 

The problem is Hanson was pretty bad on saturday and made quite a few bad mistakes. A number of times he had the ball stolen from him in dangerous areas leading to some of Wednesday's best attacks, his ball retention wasn't good enough and put us under pressure also he wasn't showing for the ball enough (particularly when the centre backs had it) with the play often bypassing him completing. 

Hughes in for Hanson on saturday we will be a better team for it.

14 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

What sort of message does that send out? 

Play your heart out, beat a very good opposition, back to the reserves when the regulars are back. 

Yes.

What if there would've been Baird playing as CB instead of Pearce... Would you still stick with the same team? Or if old players are included, would you sit Martin on the bench if Sammon played while we won? It would be madness!

If it ain't broke, don't fix it is old wisdom in modern management. Fix it, before it becomes a problem is way better approach.

Hughes in for Hanson, Johnson goes back to holding. You just have to manage Hanson, tell him he's done well, and earned the trust when he's needed and he'll be getting opportunities if he keeps it up. He'll understand Will coming back in. 

Wide forwards are all a bit much of a muchness, so any 2 of the usual. Back 5 pick emselves.

The only question in my mind is do we start Dazza Bent again? he's got a week for his poor old legs to stop aching, so I think so.

Also, I think we'll lose.....lunchtime, away at wolves.....

Archived