Wolves vs Derby County - matchday thread.

Rev

19 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Convinced that Bradley Johnson was possessed by the ghost of George Thorne during that first half.

Whilst I see your point and thought Johnson had a good game. I think we wouldn't have looked so erratic in the second half with Thorne there. I don't mean this as a slight on Johnson, just that I think Thorne is fantastic at 'managing' how a game plays out and would have kept us a little bit more composed.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Wasn't that just a typical Steve McClaren Derby game? 

It must have been fantastic for the neutrals - but my nerves are still jangling. If the one in the first half that hits the post and rolls along the line goes in, we perhaps run out 5-0 or 6-0 winners. As it is, it was a very long and very brown trousery second half.

1 hour ago, toddy said:

Fabulous win at Wolves, game of two halves but to be fair we should have had 4 by HT and game over.

They came out more direct, we lost Christie Hanson had a bit of a mare at RB - Russell went to sleep to let them in for the first, get some luck with the pen, theirs deffo not one. And made it difficult for ourselves, went to sleep again for their 2nd.

Overall, great 1st half performance  - very much like 13/14 season display, 2nd half a bit like late 14/15 season!

Great team performance, Ince and Hughes both stood out and a  worldy from Benty :thumbsup:

Mac starting to work his magic!

Going to Molineux and getting 3 pts is fantastic. 

Who needs Martin!

I know me and you haven't see eye to eye a lot but it's great to hear you upbeat again. That feel good feeling seems to be coming back :lol:.

Out to lunch in Brum with old friends but listened to first half while on the way .. Courtesy of Radio WM ! Funny listening to the enemy, you get another view .. They reckoned we could have been 4 up at half time and were fulsome in their praise of Lowe and our speed on the counter. Slagging off their own lack of effort and commitment. Missed the second half fun, sounds like it was a bit squeaky towards the end ? 

Ahhh 2-3 away from home ...Now that's my kind of score line :D ..... Well done lads. 4 points off the play offs. Momentum is gathering 

Carson 6 - Couldn't really have stopped either goal but flapped badly at a cross

Christie 7 - Got forward well without finding an effective cross, defended ok, but didn't have to do much

Lowe 6 - Excellent first half, but let people run off the back of him second half. Partially at fault for their two goals

Keogh 6 - Awful defending when we weren't under pressure first half, much better in the second half

Pearce 7 Usual safe and sound performance from Mr Consistancy

Johnson 7 Excellent first half, Thorne like, got swamped a bit second half, 2 poor headers

Butterfield 5 Poor for me, Beavered away but needed to dominate more when they were awful

Hughes 8 Masterclass midfeild display, hindered by a harsh booking that helped them physically dominate us second half

Ince 7 Took his goal well and earned the penalty, still frustrates by refusing to attack crosses better

Russell 6 Worked hard, put some good crosses in but tired and sloppy second half

Bent 7 Played very well for 60 minutes, great goal but missed 3 other chances. Vydra needs to come on 10 minutes earlier

Hanson 5 They got behind him early on, offered nothing going forward  but defended well late on

Vydra 5 Very busy, stretched them well but missed a sitter

They were awful first half and we played well and should have been 3 or 4 up at half time. Sometimes it hard to judge exactly how well you played when the opposition is so poor. Hughes and Johnson ran midfield and our full backs pushed them back.

First half they set off like a steam train and outmuscled us in midfield. Hanging on for a while but started to push them back again with around 20 minutes to go.

In our next 5 games we are playing 4 relegation candidates so are well placed to go top ten before Xmas. 

25 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Wasn't that just a typical Steve McClaren Derby game? 

It was certainly a typical mcclaren-with-bent-upfront game. If you'd put that game in the second half of 2014/15 it wouldn't have looked out of place, and with no Martin or Thorne in the side again, it's not hard to see why.

A few things I saw today were I thought first half we were great. should have had a better lead at half time.

Second half was disappointing that we didn't take off from where we left.

We made a lot of mistakes which allowed Wolves back into the game. the wolves fans who were clearly booing individuals in their team when they had the ball in the first half got behind the team in the second . the mistakes we made helped them get a goal back. I could see the ince penalty quite well and he did well in the box. thank god we got the penalty . after that wolves had the occasional surging attack which we found hard to defend . they pulled another back and that left me squeezing my cheeks together for the last 10 minutes . 

Yet again the phantom beer flingers were present.

59 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Whilst I see your point and thought Johnson had a good game. I think we wouldn't have looked so erratic in the second half with Thorne there. I don't mean this as a slight on Johnson, just that I think Thorne is fantastic at 'managing' how a game plays out and would have kept us a little bit more composed.

I would be very interested to see how a Thorne, Johnson and Hughes midfield looks. 

27 minutes ago, Gritters said:

Yet again the phantom beer flingers were present.

Next time, I'm going to video them and report them to the club.

Message to beer throwers - I WILL try to get you banned, you fecking inconsiderate imbeciles.

That first half performance was unbelievable we could of scored every 5 minutes, should of been out of sight at half time and we deserved to be, dug In deep at the end and a great result, happy to see bent and Ince back on the score sheet! And yes I'm going to say it.. I thought Russell was very good today...

3 minutes ago, EastHertsRam said:

I thought that, I've got the game on, Brighton are clicking into place quite nicely, taking full advantage of Norwich's dip in form as well. 

Yeah they're good. It's doubtful they'll have the injury problems they had last season too. March and Lualua should be back soon.

Carson 6

Christie 7

Lowe 7

Keogh 6

Pearce 6

Butterfield 7

Hughes 7

Johnson 7

Ince 9

Bent 7.5

Russell 5.5

Subs

Hanson 5

Vydra 6

Bryson N/A

Thought Ince was superb today, and very intelligent the way he played most of the game. Showed a lot of maturity today especially in last 5/6 minutes.

Seen some critics of Butterfield today and I don't get it..... thought he was pretty tidy throughout and very unlucky not to score.

Bent did well. Lowe too.

Thought Hughes was great 1st half, his YC hindered him I felt in 2nd half. 

Thought Pearce was the man at fault for the first goal..... let his man chase past him to get to ball.

Signs are encouraging..... shame there's a international break....

Butterfield made some good driving runs today, but second half he often took a touch and lost it rather than playing a first-time pass. It was really frustrating as he does have quality.

Thought Christie was really good. Their LW barely threatened first-half, but the moment Christie came off they soon started to target Hanson and their LW started to come alive.

We are playing just like I hoped we would, already we look like the SM mk1 side that looked like they could beat everybody.

the first half was brilliant and that second goal is a product of what this squad can achieve, Will is looking back to his best.

The break is no bad thing, most of the squad will get a couple of weeks improving on the training pitch.

29 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

Yeah they're good. It's doubtful they'll have the injury problems they had last season too. March and Lualua should be back soon.

Yes. If Sheffield Wednesday want to know what real good luck is, it's them facing a depleted Brighton in the semis last season. Not a disputed penalty. 

Archived