Vydra out wide?

RiddingsRam

9 hours ago, RiddingsRam said:

Never heard him say Vydra is the future but that's good to hear . Heard him say how much work KP had been doing which is another plus . 

I've never heard anyone say it, and it's a refreshing perspective I hadn't even considered before. He's only 24. Maybe there's more to come. Maybe he's still learning and he's a late bloomer. I do genuinely think he has the finishing, the instinct and the pace. He just needs to work on his positioning and then he'll likely come good

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Well he would need to be helping olsson out a heck of a lot as Russell spent most of Saturday's game doing just that

Did he ? I'll probably get chased through the town centre with pitch forks but I thought Johnny was poor yesterday especially in the first half.  He was slow to track and looked slightly reluctant to track back . 

26 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Well he would need to be helping olsson out a heck of a lot as Russell spent most of Saturday's game doing just that

Did you only see the second half?

First half he was absolutely appalling. Looked both uninterested and unfit.

Really don't get why he always seem to get praise no matter what he does.

6 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Did you only see the second half?

First half he was absolutely appalling. Looked both uninterested and unfit.

Really don't get why he always seem to get praise no matter what he does.

Haha pleased it's not only me we seemed to post at the same time with the same opinion . 

7 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

Did he ? I'll probably get chased through the town centre with pitch forks but I thought Johnny was poor yesterday especially in the first half.  He was slow to track and looked slightly reluctant to track back . 

Really hope Vydra comes good, think he will take some time on the sidelines and on the training ground learning to link the play a bit more as he is clearly very quick, makes good runs and is a good finisher. Think this time on the sidelines will do him some good to learn his new role as I do see him as someone who could learn to play the role for us. Also he is 5'11 I think and he can leap too, which does help when playing lone CF. I think we will be what we need in the CF role given time. 

11 hours ago, jono said:

He could undoubtably play on the right in a 433 but I don't think it would be the best use for his talents. For me the key is having the right man with him .. I actually think he could have played in yesterday's system but with Hughes in Butterfields role. Hughes releases the ball much more quickly and that would combine our system with his strengths and darting runs. I'd start the next game with Hanson again in the DM role with Johnson and Hughes (if fit) higher up. And Vydra leading the line. 

Not for me. Butterfield was outstanding yesterday. I think Hughes, Bryson and co should be on the bench versus Wolves. Great options available to us though if we need them.

I don't mind Vydra. But I don't see why you'd go out the way go try and fit the team around him.

You wouldn't do it for Bent. Why Vydra? Because he runs? So do greyhounds and horses. 

He's going to have to fit in. Prove himself. Earn his place. Show us that he can fit into what we want. 

Start changing a system that suits everyone else to please one bloke? Who does Vydra think he is? Pearson? 

Apart from Watford he's not really had a great time which suggests it's not just us that can't find these amazing runs he makes. 

I wouldn't change a thing for him. Not until he shows us a reason to. He's not played well enough

I think we should question why Bent, Vydra, Weimann and Blackman, who have all scored goals for previous teams, have all struggled at Derby.

I think the answer lies with the support they receive from the forwards who play alongside them.

We love to play three up top but have found the selection of those three increasingly difficult in the past two years, such is their inconsistency.

15 hours ago, jono said:

That would be an interesting prospect .. Does Crouch need a swan song ? I don't see how Mac would work it but a clever player like Crouch who knows 

I can't see it personally but over the years in football there have been some unconventional signings of wise and crafty heads that have been final pieces of jigsaws. 

My mate is a season ticket holder at the Potters and really rates Crouch. Thinks he is unlucky not to get more game time and could do a fantastic job for us....

2 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

I think we should question why Bent, Vydra, Weimann and Blackman, who have all scored goals for previous teams, have all struggled at Derby.

I think the answer lies with the support they receive from the forwards who play alongside them.

We love to play three up top but have found the selection of those three increasingly difficult in the past two years, such is their inconsistency.

I'm not sure if they have scored many goals for other teams have they? Apart from Bent. No checked though.

4 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Bent is older and slower.

Vydra has had two good seasons in 5.

Weimann scores 1 in 5 

Blackman had a 12 game purple patch in an otherwise unremarkable career.

It's not like we signed Shearer or Henry.

Vydra strikes me as a player in a very similar mould to Russell, Wiemann and Ward i.e. a small, energetic hard working forward, just a bit better technically. With that in my mind I could really see him playing well in one of the wider positions of a front three particularly if we brought in a strong link-up player for the central role

However I can also see him adapting to the central role himself, I believe he has all the necessary attributes (in particularly he seems very sound technically) for playing there. At the minute I think the biggest problem right now with him is not being familiar with what the role requires and making the right movement at a given time (i.e. when to come short, when he should spin in behind and where to make his runs). This is something I believe (and hope) can be coached into with time, after all he's only in 24 and in McClaren we have one of the best coaches around. 

16 hours ago, Tombo said:

I've never heard anyone say it, and it's a refreshing perspective I hadn't even considered before. He's only 24. Maybe there's more to come. Maybe he's still learning and he's a late bloomer. I do genuinely think he has the finishing, the instinct and the pace. He just needs to work on his positioning and then he'll likely come good

not the only late bloomer weve got.......

lets dig Steve up as the solution to our no 9 conundrum:lol:

16 hours ago, LeedsRam1999 said:

Really hope Vydra comes good, think he will take some time on the sidelines and on the training ground learning to link the play a bit more as he is clearly very quick, makes good runs and is a good finisher. Think this time on the sidelines will do him some good to learn his new role as I do see him as someone who could learn to play the role for us. Also he is 5'11 I think and he can leap too, which does help when playing lone CF. I think we will be what we need in the CF role given time. 

In the midst of our stuttering season I have been really impressed with Vydra. He could have at least doubled his tally given a bit of luck. He is very quick to react, he makes great darting runs that need to be picked up by the midfield much more. He is strong and can head a ball. He will score goals for us and be a constant threat. He needs better service but that will come as the midfield gains confidence. 

Archived