Vydra out wide?

RiddingsRam

Stick with me , I don't want us to convert another centre forward into a winger but ....... We've spent  £8million on this guy , who clearly has bags of talent but looks as though he may struggle to play the centre forward role our system is dependent on playing . So how do you think he would play in a wide forward role ? Obviously got pace . Good finisher . Good work rate.  Has all the attributes to me . 

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest, I thought with Bent up top yesterday then Anya and Vydra on either side would have been an interesting selection. As it was, neither Anya or Vydra started which I still cannot fathom but hey, we got the win.

I'd certainly try Vydra there and see what happens. From what I've seen of him when he does come deeper into wide areas to retrieve the ball, once he gets it he seems to want to drive towards goal and will take defenders on. I don't think he'll be cutting to the byline and whipping crosses in as naturally he will gravitate towards the centre but maybe it's a goer.

Yeah, why not.

10 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

Stick with me , I don't want us to convert another centre forward into a winger but ....... We've spent  £8million on this guy , who clearly has bags of talent but looks as though he may struggle to play the centre forward role our system is dependent on playing . So how do you think he would play in a wide forward role ? Obviously got pace . Good finisher . Good work rate.  Has all the attributes to me . 

Good finisher? Jury must be out on that one still surely?

McClaren commented in the post-match interviews that Vydra is the future but he brought Bent in to play a particular role yesterday, which he did well. 

Bent knew what was expected having worked with McClaren before. I  thought he did it really well, sorry I doubted McClaren when I heard he'd been selected!

I think it will take Vydra a little longer than one week to understand the new system and a little bit of time on the sideline taking a breather while watching and learning will be good for him, imo.

@McLovin, it's not just about making clever runs, it's about being in the right places for the way the team is playing. It will come - he's a good player. 

2 minutes ago, angieram said:

McClaren commented in the post-match interviews that Vydra is the future but he brought Bent in to play a particular role yesterday, which he did well. 

Bent knew what was expected having worked with McClaren before. I  thought he did it really well, sorry I doubted McClaren when I heard he'd been selected!

I think it will take Vydra a little longer than one week to understand the new system and a little bit of time on the sideline taking a breather while watching and learning will be good for him, imo.

@McLovin, it's not just about making clever runs, it's about being in the right places for the way the team is playing. It will come - he's a good player. 

Never heard him say Vydra is the future but that's good to hear . Heard him say how much work KP had been doing which is another plus . 

15 minutes ago, TopRam said:

If he's going to play out wide I hope its he'd be taking Russell place! 

Russell had a quiet game. But I don't think we want to play a centre forward out wide. 

He could undoubtably play on the right in a 433 but I don't think it would be the best use for his talents. For me the key is having the right man with him .. I actually think he could have played in yesterday's system but with Hughes in Butterfields role. Hughes releases the ball much more quickly and that would combine our system with his strengths and darting runs. I'd start the next game with Hanson again in the DM role with Johnson and Hughes (if fit) higher up. And Vydra leading the line. 

1 hour ago, RiddingsRam said:

Never heard him say Vydra is the future but that's good to hear . Heard him say how much work KP had been doing which is another plus . 

Rams player interview: "Matej has got great qualities, Matej is the future of this club but (after the last three games)we felt we needed something different, Benty provided that."

McClaren crams so much into a three minute interview it's difficult to catch all the points.

6 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Crouch/Vydra partnership from Jan?

That would be an interesting prospect .. Does Crouch need a swan song ? I don't see how Mac would work it but a clever player like Crouch who knows 

I can't see it personally but over the years in football there have been some unconventional signings of wise and crafty heads that have been final pieces of jigsaws. 

Archived