What could have happened if Zamora missed?

RamsPolls

We got promotion and in the first season in the prem we took it by storm, we not only won the league we continued on into 14/15 completely unbeaten for a total of 60 games.

We managed to lift the Champions league trophy, first time of asking beating Barcelona in the final 4-2, the following season we managed not only to win the prem and champions league, but also the FA cup.

World football coined the term ''the Derby Way''..........

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

Just not a massive fan of his. 

At times he can be good, but he's far to rash in his judgements, 

Reading at home 14/15 season. When their striker ran through on goal he went diving in at the last minute and the striker just stood still and watched Keogh glide past. 

Was almost comical.

He was covering for Albentosa who was painfully out-paced… diving in was all he could do.

We'd have been fine. Teams that are promoted who have good technical players, control Championship games and pass it tend to transition seemlessley; Swansea, Southampton and Watford survived. Even a Blackpool side whose strike force comprised of Luke Varney and DJ Campbell were 40 minutes away from survival!

Look at Bournemouth, they had nearly all of their summer signings injured for large chunks of the season, Arter missed the start of the season and Wilson missed most of it. Their most used starting XI featured ten players who were already at the club. They finished 15th and they tailed off once survival was secured as well. We were a better version of Bournemouth.

They survived with a weaker pool of players than the one which got them up and yet some Derby fans feared the Premier League?!

Come on, do people really think **** like Villa, Hull and Sunderland were better than us? 

15 minutes ago, toddy said:

We got promotion and in the first season in the prem we took it by storm, we not only won the league we continued on into 14/15 completely unbeaten for a total of 60 games.

We managed to lift the Champions league trophy, first time of asking beating Barcelona in the final 4-2, the following season we managed not only to win the prem and champions league, but also the FA cup.

World football coined the term ''the Derby Way''..........

1 hour ago, RamsPolls said:

As an avid Derby County fan. 

I sometimes sit and wonder into space and think what could have happened if Zamora had scuffed that shot in the last minute at wembley? Or what if Rob Green didn't have a worldie that day. 

If we were promoted that day at wembley, where would we be now?

Personally I think we'd be a firm mid-table prem side with European ambitions (Europa league).

Would we still have Mac as manager? I'm not so sure. 

Where do you think we'd be?

That day at Wembley can only be classed as bad luck. Keogh (As much as I hate him) wasn't to blame. It could have been anyone who missed that ball and we would also place blame on them. 

Think about it - if we had been promoted that day, would we be in the mess that we're in today? 

Probably not. 

Would we be arguing about what manager should rescue this team and rekindle this squad.

Again probably not. 

It's all very fine margins. 

If only Zamora missed that shot.

So where do you think Derby County would be today if Zamora had missed?

If we had gone up and survived that first season then I think we'd be comparable to Watford or Bournemouth.

I'd also like to think that the new fans attracted to the Club because of promotion and the opportunity to watch Premier League football on their doorstep would be a lot more supportive of their own players and particularly the team captain, than some of the current lot are.

13 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

Does anyone think we could have expanded the stadium if we got promoted?

I know it was an idea from the club when we started selling out week in week out.

No. We already have to work quite hard to fill it now. Why should the club piss money away expanding the stadium to accommodate fans who only turn up when the Premiership looks likely and will inevitably disappear at the first sign of us having a poor season?

I would not have had that dreadful night in Ripley and would have got up the next day before tea time.....I sometimes hate loving football so much.  That was one time. 

Archived