Mel Q&A with Marketing Derby

Day

Mel's comment re 'not sure if fans would want me' is a concern. I think we should value what we have in Mel, a wealthy fan in charge of a club he clearly loves. I am sure he understands that certain matters could been handled differently over the last 12 months or so but we do need to show our support. If Mel is reading you would be very welcome in the East Stand (as I am sure you would anywhere in the ground).

I am less comforted by the by the effects of booing on potential incoming transfers. Whilst I don't doubt that this could be a factor the underlying cause, I would suggest, is not the 0-0 scoreline but the preceding 45 minutes of turgid dross and hoofed diagonal passes. Not acceptable to boo but often an understandable reaction borne out of frustration. I have never once known the team to be booed back on, the half time break generally allows some perspective (well until the ball goes from an attacking free kick all the way back to Carson!)

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Not sure he should of said that, mind... 

The truth hurts sometimes, a lot of "fans" need to take a good look at themselves and their actions on match days so we can get that feel good factor back. 

8 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

I'm liking what I'm seeing but this should have all been done when/just after Pearson was hired. Since then, there has been silence from the club and a lot of confusion with the fans - following the perceived departure from last year's plan & the Derby Way.

Better late than never.

Was that at the request of Pearson? Maybe he said if I come I don't want any involvement from the chairman.

We all loved having an open club with snippets from Mel, with Pearson here he was head honcho, but was simply awful when speaking to the media.

There really is a section of our fan base that don't understand the simple word 'support'. 

There have been many situations already this year where a stadium full of fans getting behind the team would have had a better effect than a portion of the vocal minority booing, loudly moaning and getting on the players backs. 

For those that don't think it makes a difference, read many post match reports from players who have had difficult games or teams that were under the cosh and teams have got behind them. They are always very quick to point out how much of a help the fans were. 

The frustrating thing is that our support has the ability and capacity to make a positive difference, but more often than not we don't:-(

11 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Not sure he should of said that, mind... 

Interesting comments. Sounds to me like there will be other candidates to Powell 

Me neither, seems like a sly dig at the fans and let's be honest it's a small minority who boo.

Think I would have been tempted to say the fans are very reluctant to part with £25 to go and watch a team with no obvious plan playing out drab 0-0 matches without hardly any shots on target!

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Me neither, seems like a sly dig at the fans and let's be honest it's a small minority who boo.

Think I would have been tempted to say the fans are very reluctant to part with £25 to go and watch a team with no obvious plan playing out drab 0-0 matches without hardly any shots on target!

What was meant was different to what you're implying - it was about recruiting players. But if the fans can have their say then so can Mel. If they can't stand the truth of the effect their boos have then they have a choice...

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I disagree.

I'm glad he said it, glad he feels a bit of negativity from the fans, he knows he's going to have to really engage and make sure the relationship improves with the fans.

The booing from the fans being wrong I agree with as this never helps and we could do so much better by actually supporting. 

4 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Was that at the request of Pearson? Maybe he said if I come I don't want any involvement from the chairman.

We all loved having an open club with snippets from Mel, with Pearson here he was head honcho, but was simply awful when speaking to the media.

Maybe & of course we might never know. Whatever the reason, you're right in that we all enjoyed the previous period of openness and that made the silence in recent months all the more weird.

The club has lost some connection with the fans and it looks like they've realised that and are taking steps to re-engage.

Interesting to see Mel reminiscing about the good times when Mac was here. I doubt he would be asked or would come back but it's good to see that Mel considers that time as a high point in recent times. He clearly wants to get back to that.

2 minutes ago, England Ram said:

I disagree.

I'm glad he said it, glad he feels a bit of negativity from the fans, he knows he's going to have to really engage and make sure the relationship improves with the fans.

The booing from the fans being wrong I agree with as this never helps and we could do so much better by actually supporting. 

Let's be honest how many prospective players are going to know that 500 Derby fans booed when they were 0-0 at half time against Blackburn?

Compare that with how many know, or believe, that our club is run by a trigger happy mad man, who bursts into the changing room, fires managers at the drop of a hat and spies on the team using drones...

He can bury his head in the sand all he wants but the fans will be the least of any prospective players worries.

3 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Maybe & of course we might never know. Whatever the reason, you're right in that we all enjoyed the previous period of openness and that made the silence in recent months all the more weird.

The club has lost some connection with the fans and it looks like they've realised that and are taking steps to re-engage.

Interesting to see Mel reminiscing about the good times when Mac was here. I doubt he would be asked or would come back but it's good to see that Mel considers that time as a high point in recent times. He clearly wants to get back to that.

Bringing Steve Mac back could work, but obviously a big gamble which could all turn sour again.

However, bringing back Simmo seems like an obvious decision. Powell as boss, Simmo as assistant. I'd settle for that.

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

Let's be honest how many prospective players are going to know that 500 Derby fans booed when they were 0-0 at half time against Blackburn?

Compare that with how many know, or believe, that our club is run by a trigger happy mad man, who bursts into the changing room, fires managers at the drop of a hat and spies on the team using drones...

He can bury his head in the sand all he wants but the fans will be the least of any prospective players worries.

I remember Sky Soccer Saturday taking the pss out of us when fans were booing after 1st or 2nd game this season. I think footballers would be aware of this sort of thing.

3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

you say that, but players talk to other players. What do you think Nick Blackman would say to a player who was considering an offer to join?

Just now, ariotofmyown said:

I remember Sky Soccer Saturday taking the pss out of us when fans were booing after 1st or 2nd game this season. I think footballers would be aware of this sort of thing.

I very much doubt there are many players that get to watch Soccer Saturday.

1 minute ago, Mostyn6 said:

you say that, but players talk to other players. What do you think Nick Blackman would say to a player who was considering an offer to join?

'Don't join and double your wages, because there will be a handful of idiots that boo you on a Saturday afternoon if we are not winning at half time'

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

Quite a few would know about the ongoing fans reactions becasue it has been publicised regularly throughout the season in the newspapers, on sky, on terrestrial tv also. 

We know Mel is not blameless and that he may also influence some decisions, I'd argue it is more likely to be prospective managers rather than players though. 

I know you have issues with how Mel has conducted himself so we probably won't complexity agree on all these points though. 

We can probably agree that if recent events have opened the eyes of chairman, prospective manager, players and supporters for the need to do each of their respective roles a bit better than that can only be a good thing for the club moving forward. 

Just now, England Ram said:

Quite a few would know about the ongoing fans reactions becasue it has been publicised regularly throughout the season in the newspapers, on sky, on terrestrial tv also. 

We know Mel is not blameless and that he may also influence some decisions, I'd argue it is more likely to be prospective managers rather than players though. 

I know you have issues with how Mel has conducted himself so we probably won't complexity agree on all these points though. 

We can probably agree that if recent events have opened the eyes of chairman, prospective manager, players and supporters for the need to do each of their respective roles a bit better than that can only be a good thing for the club moving forward. 

I have been very supportive of MM and have been critical of the fans that have abused him.

Have MMs eyes been opened? Up until a few days before the suspension he was telling people that NP was definitely the man to take us forward...

5 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Trigger happy mad man?!

If Mel read your post he would no doubt think why do I bother!

why is he trigger happy, do you know all of the facts? The Clement sacking is widely acknowledged as being because of non football issue's, we don't know exactly what happened between MM and NP but I would bet money on Nigel being capable of blowing his top.

We have a great owner who isn't blessed with hindsight (which certain fans are lucky to have and judge him with it) and I'm certain that we will get back to that SM buzz.

I hope Pride Park is rocking against the Dirties, COYR.

Archived