Derby Telegraph is @&%#*>?$%¥

ollycutts1982

Derby Telegraph website when accessed by mobile is horrendous. As if the constant pop ups and direct links to other sites wasn't bad enough what is the 'take a survey to access article' pap. I am useless with technology and I accept that, though I'm 34 and should be more clued up I'm proud to say my childhood was spent playing football, building dens, falling off my bike, hedge hopping and knock a door running.

If I am missing some basic technology training please enlighten me. 

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Wolfie20 said:

I don't even bother visiting their site any longer because I know what I'll get - total frustration and a total waste of time. It's  complete garbage!

I try to resist as much as possible but when on my lunch other than in here always end up having a quick butchers even though it makes my p155 boil. 

30 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

Derby Telegraph website when accessed by mobile is horrendous. As if the constant pop ups and direct links to other sites wasn't bad enough what is the 'take a survey to access article' pap. I am useless with technology and I accept that, though I'm 34 and should be more clued up I'm proud to say my childhood was spent playing football, building dens, falling off my bike, hedge hopping and knock a door running.

If I am missing some basic technology training please enlighten me. 

I've just got the top of the page and what looks like a load of tipex on my screen!

23 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Use ad block. Theres plenty of apps for it. 

:thumbsup:

It is a nightmare without. 

20 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

Cheers Radio, any pointers as which one is best? As mentioned I am a total novice. 

Type 'ad block' into Google and then click the first option on the page, it'll act as an extension to Google Chrome (I presume that's the browser you use?) Once installed, a red or green icon will show in the top right hand corner of your browser, this enables you to block ads that you don't wan't to appear on the sites you visit.

Just remember to turn it off when you visit the forum otherwise @David will be after you. :ph34r:

59 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

I don't even bother visiting their site any longer because I know what I'll get - total frustration and a total waste of time. It's  complete garbage!

The content is also very poor and uninformative so it's a double whammy. Click, get tons of pop ups, only to read something quite obvious and just a repeat of news elsewhere reported. Sorry DET but you need to step up your game. 

2 minutes ago, David said:

Don't install ad blockers, just boycott sites that use excessive ads. Without ads sites like this wouldn't exist. 

Would you not suggest that using exceptions to manage this? I agree with you, we need to support forums somehow but the local paper down here Brighton is much worse than the telegraph so I get round it that way.

2 minutes ago, ShoreRam said:

Would you not suggest that using exceptions to manage this? I agree with you, we need to support forums somehow but the local paper down here Brighton is much worse than the telegraph so I get round it that way.

Once an ad blocker is installed it will remove ads on every website you visit, will people whitelist every site as they go on? Can't see it happening. Be nice if after installing a blocker you clicked a button to block the site you're on but there you go.

I use firefox with the adblock extension, works ok on my android. 

And yes, turn it off on the forum, we've got to keep david in Beemers and savile row suits. 

Thing is, its just an escalation with ads, a constant war between ad blockers and ad coding. If you wander onto the DET site withithout any its almost unusable.  

Trying to access DET was driving me insane. Then I consulted Mr.Google re. Ad Block  and sanity was restored.   Windows 10 / Internet explorer 11./standard Google./ Firefox...works fine. I get occasional requests to remove it if I want to read further on some sites but usually don't bother.    Windows 10  /Skygo also seems to have finally settled down.    And I have managed to reset my computer so that I don't get continually told that the page has a syntax fault and everything seizes up!!  Life is much calmer .and the air less blue.........

Archived