Derby Telegraph is @&%#*>?$%¥

ollycutts1982

42 minutes ago, David said:

Don't install ad blockers, just boycott sites that use excessive ads. Without ads sites like this wouldn't exist. 

It's not realistic to expect Derby fans to boycott the DET website - it's the most definitive source of DCFC news we've got.

Going forward, the web needs an alternative business model because ad-blockers are getting more and more widespread and it's unlikely that the genie will be put back in the bottle. The blame lies mainly with sites like the DET because their ads are so intrusive they render the site almost unusable so you have little choice but to use an Ad-blocker and as David says, once it's installed, by default it blocks everything .

Maybe you could look at something like the Guardian 'supporter' model, particularly for people who want to block ADs? That would give you a multi-tiered 'Spotify type' 'offer' - free access with ads or ad-free access for a small fee. Personally I'd be happy to pay a regular micro-donation for visiting sites like DCFC Fans. Have you looked at options like flattr? See https://flattr.com/about.  

I appreciate sites likes this need ads to survive but I just don't want to be advertised at and I find personalized ads showing me things I've just looked at or holidays I've just been on (!) particularly irritating and actually rather creepy! That's why I also block trackers using Ghostery

https://www.ghostery.com/

For the record I have previously donated to dcfcfans...

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, ollycutts1982 said:

Derby Telegraph website when accessed by mobile is horrendous. As if the constant pop ups and direct links to other sites wasn't bad enough what is the 'take a survey to access article' pap. I am useless with technology and I accept that, though I'm 34 and should be more clued up I'm proud to say my childhood was spent playing football, building dens, falling off my bike, hedge hopping and knock a door running.

If I am missing some basic technology training please enlighten me. 

Use ad blocker sorted.. 

8 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

My problem is less about the ads (everyone has to pay the bills) but more with the absolute state of the content. Clickbait, old news and non stories. Its an absolute load of tripe.

So many bad clickbait links - number 8 will shock you.

They really do need to sort that site out, it really is truely awful- makes reading it absolutely impossible, and surely the whole point of the website is to give up to date news on Derby to people with and interest, these excessive adds make it impossible. It just seems like a massive money making scheme to me using all those adds, there's no way they need to ruin the site with the number of adds to cover costs, just adds around the page are enough surely?!

The ads on this forum are fine in that they are not intrusive until my fat fingers press in the wrong place. Those on the DET are irritatingly intrusive, especially the ones that demand you take a survey and those that obliterate the whole screen even though the fat fingers haven't clicked on them. But I do find they vary in intensity during the day and when they intrude I go elsewhere

For those of us that live outside the area the DET is a source of information, first and foremost about the Rams but also about the town. Of passing interest perhaps but I like knowing about the changes around the town that I lived in for the first 22 years of my life and which I still call home. Occasionally I also learn about roadworks that affect my route to the Ipro.

All print media, national and local, are under financial pressure. I rarely buy a paper now and used to get one every day - I get 99% of my world, national and local news from the internet and I suspect many others do too. Ads therefore form a vital part in maintaining a free press which we will all miss if it goes. If you think the DET is bad, try the Ilkley Gazette. 

16 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

The ads on this forum are fine in that they are not intrusive until my fat fingers press in the wrong place. Those on the DET are irritatingly intrusive, especially the ones that demand you take a survey and those that obliterate the whole screen even though the fat fingers haven't clicked on them. But I do find they vary in intensity during the day and when they intrude I go elsewhere

For those of us that live outside the area the DET is a source of information, first and foremost about the Rams but also about the town. Of passing interest perhaps but I like knowing about the changes around the town that I lived in for the first 22 years of my life and which I still call home. Occasionally I also learn about roadworks that affect my route to the Ipro.

All print media, national and local, are under financial pressure. I rarely buy a paper now and used to get one every day - I get 99% of my world, national and local news from the internet and I suspect many others do too. Ads therefore form a vital part in maintaining a free press which we will all miss if it goes. If you think the DET is bad, try the Ilkley Gazette. 

Want to make fat fingers slimmer, then click www.digitdiet.com

Want to share information about fat fingers then click www.survey-monkey:sausagehands.co.uk

Want to see celebrities with fat fingers then click www.porkiecelebs.co.uk

Want to keep your fat fingers warm in the winter click www.glovesrus.com

Want to stick two fat fingers up in the air and wave them around then click www.nottinghamforest.co.uk

Archived