Spitting

Tony Le Mesmer

Just wondered about your views on spitting in football. Personally I think it's vile and it's gradually crept in over the years to now become the norm. Players of 5 or so years back never used to do it so what's changed? A friend I spoke to about it suggested that maybe it was to clear their airways but yesterday I saw Everton boss Ronald Koeman just casually goz whilst on the touchline and tonight whilst waiting to come on for Barcelona, Denis Suarez just spat on the floor - both having done no running whatsoever. I regularly see subs spitting whilst warming up / waiting to come on and managers are at it now. Referees and linesmen are up and down all game yet I've yet to see any of them spitting. It's disgusting and IMO there is just no need for it. It's a bad example for young kids who think it's cool and think nothing of doing it whilst walking down the street. Classless scruffs.

Opinions?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I think it is fine to some degree since it does clear the airways and that's necessary in the game. But it's an epidemic within the game since as you say it happens far too much to only be happening in moments of necessity. It's gone far beyond necessity. I have seen the officials do it too to be fair.

You're right to say it sets a terrible example though. The fact you see kids just spitting everywhere because they think it's cool has a direct relationship with footballs addiction to spitting.

I was watching an U11 game this morning, and I saw one of the kids spit while waiting in the penalty area for a corner to come in. It was such a shame to see, and it has come as a result of watching the pros do it on the telly.

Some footballers really don't understand that they are viewed as role models for the youngsters.

Another was the coach of one team berating the referee every minute or so. This was an U11 game... What kind of example is he setting? Such a moron.

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

You never see tennis players or the like doing it. Its disgusting another thing they should bring in a booking for.

I agree. It's the most vile thing and completely disgusting. Makes me feel sick. If I see someone do it in the street I want to punch them :( 

1 hour ago, Anon said:

The idea of spitting in the street is disgusting. In sports, however, if phlegm is interfering with my breathing I'm going to spit.

It's a fair point anon but as Paul says you don't see tennis players doing it nor athletes nor sportspeople in many other sports and in football its not just a few times, it seems to be all players all through the game.

I played footy at a decent level up to about 15 or so years ago and never spat once. Nor did most other players I played with / against. I'd argue that it is more of a culture change amongst young footballers in general rather than a desperate requirement to clear the airways to improve performance.

14 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

What's wrong with swallowing it?. Swallowing is the future.

Spit or swallow wolfie. They are the two options although don't really want to go down that sordid avenue......:lol:;)

Maybe players should have pockets in their shorts to store handywipes to spit into and have waste bins near the goals so they can easily dispose of their offending clinical waste before corners? :p

41 minutes ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

How often do you see it in rugby? It does not happen but not with the vile performance some footballers manage.

Mouth guards make it different, as someone who's played both sports competitively in the past few years. Spitting some sometimes necessary.

Archived