Next England Manager?

sage

Who will be the next manager?

Southgate has the job for the next 4 games, which will take us to late March. 

When Big Sam was appointed I seem to remember them interviewing Eddie Howe and Steve Bruce, as well as speaking to Wenger.

Was anyone else involved? 

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I'd go for Eddie Howe and give him at least two competitions. I feel we need somebody who isn't just after his last paycheck and will bring a bit of exuberance to the role. I think currently we have a decent group of young technically good players (think alli, lallana, barkley, stones) who would respond to Howe's coaching methods and management.

I'd like someone who has an existing knowledge of the English game. Wenger would be a good appointment, track record of encouraging English talent. 

In all honesty, I'd love the FA's attention to be turned towards instilling a winning mentally within the youth ranks, as has been done in Germany. As Stuart Pearce commented, the only player who had experienced winning internationally in the Euro squad was Ross Barkeley. If a group of players were brought through together and had a habit/mentality of winning in an England shirt, I think we'd see England return to be revered on the World stage.

It won't be Wenger mid way through a season. Pardew is the favourite - he seems to do alright at his jobs to start with, but then fall apart. Bruce is the only other person I could see taking it or at least the only other I would want to take it (don't want it to ruin Eddie Howe).

Looking at a list of some of the odds there doesn't seem to be many standout candidates - Hoddle, Southgate, Bilic, Mancini, Redknapp, Moyes, Ranieri.

12 minutes ago, GenBr said:

It won't be Wenger mid way through a season. Pardew is the favourite - he seems to do alright at his jobs to start with, but then fall apart. Bruce is the only other person I could see taking it or at least the only other I would want to take it (don't want it to ruin Eddie Howe).

Looking at a list of some of the odds there doesn't seem to be many standout candidates - Hoddle, Southgate, Bilic, Mancini, Redknapp, Moyes, Ranieri.

I think it may well be Wenger.

Southgate is in charge for the next 4 games, taking us to March 26th. After that game, we are looking at June, which is after the end of Wenger's contract.

If we do this, I hope he has someone like Howe in his team on a part time basis to groom him (ooer) for the future.    

8 minutes ago, sage said:

I think it may well be Wenger.

Southgate is in charge for the next 4 games, taking us to March 26th. After that game, we are looking at June, which is after the end of Wenger's contract.

If we do this, I hope he has someone like Howe in his team on a part time basis to groom him (ooer) for the future.    

I suppose I should have read your initial post a bit better :D. That is interesting if it will be close to the end of the season when Southgate steps down - I think with Wenger he wants to try and win the league again before he steps down at Arsenal, but I don't see him doing it anytime soon, so could be him.

12 minutes ago, David said:

Wenger would be perfect, wouldn't need to spend a penny.

Bottles the big games but we never make it that far anyway so wouldn't effect us.

Doesnt look great in swim shorts tho but then neither would Allardyce.

We would at least play good football on the way to bottling big games which would be a refreshing change.

Doesn't really matter who is in charge, they're going to encounter the same problems as the current English squad is full of average players all playing at clubs with different systems and playing style.

The Premier League's existence means the English national team will never have some sort of identity, thus will always look like a bunch of strangers when together at the major tournaments.

Wenger's sides have always played entertaining football, yet with 11 English players and limited training time there is absoloutely no way he could get close to replicating an Arsenal side with the national team.

Archived