Defenders who can defend...

SuperDerbySuperRams

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Albert said:

Moving to one striker would also give the wide men a bit more freedom as well, making them essentially forwards, we could call it 4-3-3 or 4-1-2-3. 

Would definitely suit the majority of the team, but then we have the problem of the striker. Vydra has always struggled as a lone forward according to Watford and Reading fans and we've probably got under a 20% win percentage with Bent there. And I doubt Wilson, Blackman or Weimann would have much success without a strike partner either. 

Just now, Angry Ram said:

So he comes unstuck when asked to defend... My point exactly.

That wasn't exactly my point. Sure he makes mistakes but when we are playing an attacking, high pressing style with a high defensive line his pace and his ability on the ball are key to the play style.

Just now, brady1993 said:

That wasn't exactly my point. Sure he makes mistakes but when we are playing an attacking, high pressing style with a high defensive line his pace and his ability on the ball are key to the play style.

I've checked his job description and it definately says defender.. 

3 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

Would definitely suit the majority of the team, but then we have the problem of the striker. Vydra has always struggled as a lone forward according to Watford and Reading fans and we've probably got under a 20% win percentage with Bent there. And I doubt Wilson, Blackman or Weimann would have much success without a strike partner either. 

Whilst this is true. I could see it working if he's well supported by the midfield and wide forwards. Particularly if the front three is allowed to be fluid with each playing rotating between the positions.

29 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Of course you defend as a team. And the defence has seemed the least of our problems this season. However, when we finally scored a home league goal I was imaging the team would come together with great new resolve and say to each other that we will do everything to keep this lead. Blackburn will not pass. The season turns round now.

Instead we concede two goals in three minutes.

Somewhere there is a huge lack of mental strength among these players. I don't see how people can blame Pearson for the players condeding two in such quick succession, nor for conceding in the final minute at Bristol. For me the players have shown their true colours and it's likely that significant further changes are going to be required. Gutless.

It looks as if we're taking two steps back to hopefully go three or four forward. It's very probably going to be a grim transitional season. At least Vydra scored...

I keep telling myself that (about the steps forward) but there's no guarantee they will come. We were so close the last 3 years and we've decided to reinvent the wheel.

Just now, brady1993 said:

Whilst this is true. I could see it working if he's well supported by the midfield and wide forwards. Particularly if the front three is allowed to be fluid with each playing rotating between the positions.

There's another problem though. For the two centre mids to have freedom to support the striker they really need a holding mid to cover for them, so that means someone playing out of their natural position for a few months until Thorne's back.

Just now, Cam the Ram said:

There's another problem though. For the two centre mids to have freedom to support the striker they really need a holding mid to cover for them, so that means someone playing out of their natural position for a few months until Thorne's back.

True but surely Johnson we could be adapted to that position or we could play Hanson ?

15 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

No where near as frequent with him on the field...

I would bring up stats pointing out how we concede a pretty much identical number of goals per 90 minutes with and without him but it's a Saturday night and I can't really be bothered, but such stars do exist.

18 minutes ago, nottingram said:

I would bring up stats pointing out how we concede a pretty much identical number of goals per 90 minutes with and without him but it's a Saturday night and I can't really be bothered, but such stars do exist.

Tell me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure last season we set some sort of defensive record..

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

We haven't actually got many of those, but the system we play we are wide open with our two best attacking midfielders trying to defend all the time, I do not rate Carson either another who helped take Wigan down from the championship.

Exactly this, how many shots has he saved this season?

Today 2 shots on goal = 2 conceded

Ipswich 2 shots on goal = 1 conceded

He needs dropping and so does Keogh and Christie the last 2 are reckless and it shows. 

3 hours ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Those 2 goals were just inept defending. You can't blame the system for that. 

Shackell gets slated because he can't play a 30 yard diagonal, but he's a bloody good defender. 

Pearce lost more than he won in the air today. Unacceptable 

Your completely right, shackell can't play a 30 yard pass, the problem being he thinks he can. 

As a straight defender we missed him today and I would have him above both keogh and Pearce in that respect but distribution wise he's a liability.

just depends what your preference is  

I think that Shackell has been appalling this season. He's always struggled with passing, but now he's lost all positional sense, looks slower than the Titanic and completely disinterested. Pearce hasn't been perfect, but a he has been a significant improvement on Shackell. Then there's the rumours of dressing room issues which feature Shackell. I have absolutely no idea if they are true, but if they are, he shouldn't be in the team anyway.

Archived