Defenders who can defend...

SuperDerbySuperRams

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not the defenders, it the whole style and system. We've trashed a side and a system that nearly got us up in three consecutive systems, and in it's place now have this garbage. The changes aren't working, and the question now is whether we bed in for the long haul and wait for the side to adjust or cut our losses and bring someone in who can actually manage Derby as Derby. 

I'm at a loss to see where we are going, and at this point have zero confidence in Mel's Derby. All the money in the World can't cover terrible work in the backroom. 

5 minutes ago, Albert said:

It's not the defenders, it the whole style and system. We've trashed a side and a system that nearly got us up in three consecutive systems, and in it's place now have this garbage. The changes aren't working, and the question now is whether we bed in for the long haul and wait for the side to adjust or cut our losses and bring someone in who can actually manage Derby as Derby. 

I'm at a loss to see where we are going, and at this point have zero confidence in Mel's Derby. All the money in the World can't cover terrible work in the backroom. 

Those 2 goals were just inept defending. You can't blame the system for that. 

Shackell gets slated because he can't play a 30 yard diagonal, but he's a bloody good defender. 

Pearce lost more than he won in the air today. Unacceptable 

Of course you defend as a team. And the defence has seemed the least of our problems this season. However, when we finally scored a home league goal I was imaging the team would come together with great new resolve and say to each other that we will do everything to keep this lead. Blackburn will not pass. The season turns round now.

Instead we concede two goals in three minutes.

Somewhere there is a huge lack of mental strength among these players. I don't see how people can blame Pearson for the players condeding two in such quick succession, nor for conceding in the final minute at Bristol. For me the players have shown their true colours and it's likely that significant further changes are going to be required. Gutless.

It looks as if we're taking two steps back to hopefully go three or four forward. It's very probably going to be a grim transitional season. At least Vydra scored...

2 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Said it looks along, Keogh is only half decent when he has a better player beside him. 

Keogh's great when the team is pressing high up the pitch and your looking to control the game, in fact he's probably the best centre back in the league when those are your tactics. He comes unstuck when he's asked to sit back and your just looking to contain.

Just now, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Pearce didn't play last season. Keogh only performs with Shackell next too him

Keogh is fine with Shackell and fine without him. Pearce I agree maybe isn't as good a defender as Shackell but the fact they both have no protection and screen in front of them lands firmly at Pearson's door.

13 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Keogh's great when the team is pressing high up the pitch and your looking to control the game, in fact he's probably the best centre back in the league when those are your tactics. He comes unstuck when he's asked to sit back and your just looking to contain.

So he comes unstuck when asked to defend... My point exactly.

Archived