What positive changes could improve things?

Chester40

I'm bored of the 'how long should he get' threads and some of the negativity in general. Soooo what can the club and Nige do to improve things?..and this does NOT include sacking the manager. 

I'm thinking a free cuppa/pint for all fans still in the ground at full time to generate atmosphere....and Weimann getting an extended run in the team, Hughes to be released to roam forward with Bradley told to anchor the midfield.... I know the suggestions are all fraught with drawbacks,  but it's just a starter for 10!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Chester40 bravo !

my initial response would be to start blooming clapping and cheering players names before kick off .. We have gone so quiet !

i don't mean singing and cheering in the match ( God forbid )  .. There has been little to inspire that but the basic pre match positive vibe has dipped to near silent levels and it is only the PA system and the dire music that even attempts any level of get up and go.

I think you are right about Weiman .. He is a Pearson sort of player, has skill and energy I could se him taking Wilsons place if he doesn't get in the groove pretty sharpish. 

Hughes .. I think NP has seen that and we won't see him too defensive as the season progresses. Johnson .. Please can we have the Jonno back that first came here .. Fingers crossed 

free cuppa if the crowd hits 30k or if we are 2 up at half time and free beer if it's both ! 

15 hours ago, jono said:

@Chester40 bravo !

my initial response would be to start blooming clapping and cheering players names before kick off .. We have gone so quiet !

i don't mean singing and cheering in the match ( God forbid )  .. There has been little to inspire that but the basic pre match positive vibe has dipped to near silent levels and it is only the PA system and the dire music that even attempts any level of get up and go.

I think you are right about Weiman .. He is a Pearson sort of player, has skill and energy I could se him taking Wilsons place if he doesn't get in the groove pretty sharpish. 

Hughes .. I think NP has seen that and we won't see him too defensive as the season progresses. Johnson .. Please can we have the Jonno back that first came here .. Fingers crossed 

free cuppa if the crowd hits 30k or if we are 2 up at half time and free beer if it's both ! 

That one baffled me ! Since when have we stopped applauding the players names as there read out before kick off ? I've been doing that since I was a kid ! 

1 minute ago, HantsRam said:

Invite the 3000 Liverpool fans to every game to start the singing. Thought they were great - all their songs seemed to be positive messages. No "we hate xxxxx" or "you're s*** and you know you are" type stuff.

Weren't they singing a song about man utd being ***** ?

51 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

That one baffled me ! Since when have we stopped applauding the players names as there read out before kick off ? I've been doing that since I was a kid ! 

Me as well. In fairness I don't think we have really stopped but on Tuesday in the east stand it felt like I was the only one doing it. I suppose there were a lot of "occasion" supporters on Tuesday and not the usual crowd which goes some way to explaining it. 

33 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

Weren't they singing a song about man utd being ***** ?

couldn't hear that one - but was in west stand. My abiding memory was that "poetry in motion.....la la la la laaa" to the tune of Brown Girl in the Ring plus a few bursts of Fields of Anfield Road or whatever it is. they just seemed to be bouncing up and down and clapping incessantly.

thought the south stand did their bit as well - not a bad atmosphere I thought.

1 minute ago, jono said:

Me as well. In fairness I don't think we have really stopped but on Tuesday in the east stand it felt like I was the only one doing it. I suppose there were a lot of "occasion" supporters on Tuesday and not the usual crowd which goes some way to explaining it. 

Yep, and most of them Liverpool fans. I had a row of 6 next to me (all sitting where STH usually sit...).

To be fair, they weren't being obvious about it or particularly obnoxious, I just noticed a fist pump or two when they scored. Still annoyed me though.

However, back to the topic at hand. I do think the pre-match 'hoorahing' of names has died down a little, perhaps reflective of the trepidation we are going into games with at the moment. 

I'm not sure we're really in need of measures to address the current lack of form just yet, but FWIW I'd like to hear the South Stand doing what the South Stand was established to do, which is sing... preferably songs other stands might join in with (traditional ones, not crappy 'since I was young' ****) and try to drown out the opposition fans a bit. Couldn't hurt could it? 

I have a good few mates at work who support other championship clubs. A good few of them go to away games. Every one to a man has said "No wonder your team is not playing well, I have never been at a stadium where the home fans are so quiet and never get behind their team" there is no passion, whether you agree with what the manager is doing or not.

Get behind the lads before during and after and see what happens.

YOU MIGHT JUST BE SUPRISED!!!!!!!

Totally agree.

Took a foreign friend to the Newcastle game the other week as the guy I usually go with couldn't make it.

He wished he was with the Newcastle fans.

We certainly don't make it intimidating for the opposition and other then the south stand trying to generate a bit.. the atmosphere is on a whole ****.

1 hour ago, HantsRam said:

couldn't hear that one - but was in west stand. My abiding memory was that "poetry in motion.....la la la la laaa" to the tune of Brown Girl in the Ring plus a few bursts of Fields of Anfield Road or whatever it is. they just seemed to be bouncing up and down and clapping incessantly.

thought the south stand did their bit as well - not a bad atmosphere I thought.

I'm not condoning smoke bombs ! But I did think they looked impressive under the I-pro lights!

Archived