Why are we terrible?

wixman1884

Why are we terrible?  

154 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I can see it as an equation ....

X = FRICTION/UPSET = Team of big personalities made cynical by disappointment and run of changes in management, now being squeezed by authoritarian experienced manager into a new shape.

Y = LACK OF CONFIDENCE = Pressure of looming rich fan owner, expectations of fanatical support and lack of luck.

X   x   Y   = Terrible (right now)

The answer is .....(if I was Mgr)

A = COMMITMENT. I would have a team meeting and straight off the bat ask everyone if they liked playing for DCFC, if a player didn't have his hand up in 5 seconds he'd be out the door.

B = HARD WORK. I would train like mad to play 4-4-2 and 4-3-3, and shift between the two. On a good day it would look like Creuyff total football, might look like the Keystone cops for a couple of games. I would also tell the team I wanted every player in the squad to have a shot on goal every game (bar GK). We would let in some howlers over the season but we would suddenly become edgy and unpredictable in attack. I would tell them they could plan this out themselves and surprise me.

A  x  B  = Winning

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, robglosta said:

For me it was not bringing in Pearson as soon as we got rid of Clem. This period could have been at the tail end of the season, giving Nigel plenty of time to assess the work needing to be done over the summer. As it is, we're probably 3/4 months behind and in the teething stages now, rather than early this year. 

As NP threw his hat into the ring as soon as Clement was sacked I would guess he would have been doing his homework on Derby long before July.

Pre-season seems to have been long enough for other managers in this division, why not NP?

2 hours ago, oldtimeram said:

They don't want promotion because nearly all of them will be out on their ear if they do.....oh dear, their big fat pay cheques at risk!  Other teams do not have a bunch of big time Charlies and play together as a team and are probably not on obscene wages, so the incentive to get promoted is still there.

Additionally, they are overrated prima donnas and i do not rate our manager either.   Well done Mel, you have played another blinder yet again.

They are all on contracts that probably include promotion bonuses and would have to be paid up if sold once we got to the Premier League.

On the flip side of the coin, if we fail to get promoted because of their lack of effort, their contracts will not be renewed and nobody will want to buy them.

In summary, your logic is flawed.

15 hours ago, wixman1884 said:

I've assembled the answers based on murmurings on the forum. Let me know if other options need adding.

I personally went with Nigel Pearson, although I was tempted by 'Paul Clement in a tracksuit'.

Great thread,the only thing that has made me smile at work today.

I have no answers to the question though I'm afraid.

5 minutes ago, TelTheRam said:

2 words - poor recruitment.

Thorne, Shackel and Carson are the only players brought in that have actually improved the first 11 since Clough got sacked.

And of those, 1 has been injured for months , 1 can't pass the ball and the other regularly hoofs in into touch.

I wouldn't even say Shackell. His inability to pass in a team that passed it out from the back took away as much from the team as his other qualities added. 

4 minutes ago, TelTheRam said:

2 words - poor recruitment.

Thorne, Shackel and Carson are the only players brought in that have actually improved the first 11 since Clough got sacked.

And of those, 1 has been injured for months , 1 can't pass the ball and the other regularly hoofs in into touch.

Rubbish.

All of our strikers, even Blackman, better than Sammon. I can't be bothered to remember the squad players that have been replaced by better.

Anya, better than Ward for example. Vydra better than Martin.

2 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Rubbish.

All of our strikers, even Blackman, better than Sammon. I can't be bothered to remember the squad players that have been replaced by better.

Anya, better than Ward for example. Vydra better than Martin.

Not better. Just different.

The fit is as important as the individual.

Just my opinion.

Sammon was not really first 11 by then - Martin had come in as a big improvement.
Anya may well be better than Ward, undoubtedly so is Ince, but Ward and Russell provided balance - something we seem to have been missing for months.
I've seen nothing from Vydra yet to convince me he's better overall for the team than Martin.
Maybe with time and fitness he will prove a good investment.

32 minutes ago, cannable said:

Not better. Just different.

The fit is as important as the individual.

21 minutes ago, TelTheRam said:

Just my opinion.

Sammon was not really first 11 by then - Martin had come in as a big improvement.
Anya may well be better than Ward, undoubtedly so is Ince, but Ward and Russell provided balance - something we seem to have been missing for months.
I've seen nothing from Vydra yet to convince me he's better overall for the team than Martin.
Maybe with time and fitness he will prove a good investment.

Well if you're both taking about the team, it improved in league position last season, so you're taking nonsense either way. Which way do you want it? Team players? We've done better in the league. Individuals? Well those players have been promoted to the PL as vital players. 

5 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Well if you're both taking about the team, it improved in league position last season, so you're taking nonsense either way. Which way do you want it? Team players? We've done better in the league. Individuals? Well those players have been promoted to the PL as vital players. 

I don't really know what you're trying to say

15 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

The closest we've been to automatics is with Ward, Martin and Russell as our front three, we've not done better in the league since.

5 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Read the thread then. If you're going to pick up on all my posts, at least look at what I'm replying to.

Performances were worse and we accumulated fewer points. This isn't before even taking into account the mitigating factors which resulted in our collapse the year previous.

I'm not quite sure what past promotions has to do with anything. 

55 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

It should never be about individuals - and that, in my opinion, has been the problem.

only bring someone in if they are going to improve the team, and fit in with those already here.

19 minutes ago, TelTheRam said:

It should never be about individuals - and that, in my opinion, has been the problem.

only bring someone in if they are going to improve the team, and fit in with those already here.

Okay so if it's not about individuals, how can the transfers be deemed as bad, if we've improved on the previous season? 

4 hours ago, kingsy1884 said:

I went for Clement. They guy was a jumped up PE teacher a decent assistant manager at most.

We should have appointed Warburton as soon as we had the chance he was perfect to take the team forward at that time.

But that's  history a mini revolution was needed and NP is certainly on his way to doing that. It is a matter of time before it all clicks.

Like Mourinho

A jumped up stockbroker

Why is it certain to click? 

Archived