Why are we terrible?

wixman1884

Why are we terrible?  

154 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Rubbish.

All of our strikers, even Blackman, better than Sammon. I can't be bothered to remember the squad players that have been replaced by better.

Anya, better than Ward for example. Vydra better than Martin.

Ward, since 2013/2014 has in 105 appearences scored 15 goals and assisted 12.

Anya sice 2013/2014 has in 101 appearences scored 6 goals and assisted 16. Those aren't the stats of someone better than Ward.

Connor Sammon scored 8 league goals in his debut season at Derby, in a team managed by Nigel Clough. Blackman will be lucky to score a single goal this season. Sammon also had physicality on his side, making room for other players, whereas Blackman does the opposite.

Stats, don't back up the idea that Vydra is better than Martin either. Vydra has scored 61 goals in his entire career. Martin scored 62 whilst at Derby. Not to mention all of those assists Martin managed to rack up whilst he was here as well.

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

Okay so if it's not about individuals, how can the transfers be deemed as bad, if we've improved on the previous season? 

That's the thing we didnt improve. Bear in mind that glut of injuries to Buxton, Martin, Eustace, Thorne, Bent and Grant in 2014/2015 which obviously contributed to our end of season collapse.

2013/2014, 85 points +32 goal difference. Finsihed 3rd in league.

2014/2015, 77 points +29 goal difference. Finished 8th in league.

2015/2016, 78 points +23 goal difference. Finished 5th in league.

That is not the trajectory of a team that has had good trandfer business. Good transfer business should see an improvement in goal difference and points tally, none of which we see here.

9 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

That's the thing we didnt improve. Bear in mind that glut of injuries to Buxton, Martin, Eustace, Thorne, Bent and Grant in 2014/2015 which obviously contributed to our end of season collapse.

That is not the trajectory of a team that has had good trandfer business. Good transfer business should see an improvement in goal difference and points tally, none of which we see here.

Do Newcastle United count as transfer business? 

5 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

Bigger reasons though = 

2013/2014 = robbed by Bobby Zamora in 90th minute

2014/2015 = Mac's head turned by the barcodes (don't care what anybody says, it was) plus teams started to figure us out

2015/2016 = Lost Clement, Wassall inexperienced, but still in play-offs that is progress.

Someone did say elsewhere on the forum that in the last three years nine teams have gone up and we weren't one of them  ==== Burnley (twice), Foxes, QPR, Bournmouth, Watford, Norwich, M'boro, Hull. We should have been really

It all comes back to the Manager,

We just have to keep grinding away like Boro and Leicester did.

I think the manager is trying to make too much of a change to the side that was moderately successful. He overhauled when he should have tweaked. So it's the manager for me.

It would come good eventually, you can see that with how the side currently plays, but it will take time and a couple more transfer windows. Will Mel give him the time? Nah. We'll be looking for a new manager by Christmas.

1 minute ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

Bigger reasons though = 

2013/2014 = robbed by Bobby Zamora in 90th minute

2014/2015 = Mac's head turned by the barcodes (don't care what anybody says, it was) plus teams started to figure us out

2015/2016 = Lost Clement, Wassall inexperienced, but still in play-offs that is progress.

Someone did say elsewhere on the forum that in the last three years nine teams have gone up and we weren't one of them  ==== Burnley (twice), Foxes, QPR, Bournmouth, Watford, Norwich, M'boro, Hull. We should have been really

It all comes back to the Manager,

We just have to keep grinding away like Boro and Leicester did.

Not disagreeing with everything you've said. A couple of key points though, even though teams figured us out in 2014/2015, they did so at the start of the season and we were still in the promotion places at Christmas. Injuries decimated that promotion charge. I am confident when I say that if even one of those players had stayed fit then we would've made the playoffs.

I wouldn't say 2015/2016 was progress. It was progress in the idea that we played better at the end of that season than the end of the season before, true. I am of the opinion though that the season as a whole was a step down from the previous season. Less goals scored, lower goal difference, duller football (as a whole).

You're right it does all come back to the manager, which is why I am unhappy with people having a go at the players when three different managers (who were sacked rightly or wrongly) were able to get better out of these players than the one we have at the moment. Players who have provided some of the best entertainment I have seen during my time as a Derby fan, who suddenly 'aren't good enough' despite being a top six team and scoring goals for fun for the large part of the last three seasons.

1 minute ago, TobyWanKenobi said:

I think the manager is trying to make too much of a change to the side that was moderately successful. He overhauled when he should have tweaked. So it's the manager for me.

It would come good eventually, you can see that with how the side currently plays, but it will take time and a couple more transfer windows. Will Mel give him the time? Nah. We'll be looking for a new manager by Christmas.

I really hope you are wrong but I fear you might be right. I don't think we are as far off from hitting a good streak as some people think.

All the anti-NP folks have to think hard about what they are wishing for. Who would replace him that was any good? Mac coming back would present difficulties I think. 

Got to give NP a season.

1 minute ago, PodgeyRam said:

Not disagreeing with everything you've said. A couple of key points though, even though teams figured us out in 2014/2015, they did so at the start of the season and we were still in the promotion places at Christmas. Injuries decimated that promotion charge. I am confident when I say that if even one of those players had stayed fit then we would've made the playoffs.

I wouldn't say 2015/2016 was progress. It was progress in the idea that we played better at the end of that season than the end of the season before, true. I am of the opinion though that the season as a whole was a step down from the previous season. Less goals scored, lower goal difference, duller football (as a whole).

You're right it does all come back to the manager, which is why I am unhappy with people having a go at the players when three different managers (who were sacked rightly or wrongly) were able to get better out of these players than the one we have at the moment. Players who have provided some of the best entertainment I have seen during my time as a Derby fan, who suddenly 'aren't good enough' despite being a top six team and scoring goals for fun for the large part of the last three seasons.

A lot of good points, but it does all hang around the manager.

Look at Raffa at the moment - holy cow.

Could all be about to turn though ... we have had no luck. A win yesterday would have done the team a world of good I think, even a crumby one. 

1 minute ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

A lot of good points, but it does all hang around the manager.

Look at Raffa at the moment - holy cow.

Could all be about to turn though ... we have had no luck. A win yesterday would have done the team a world of good I think, even a crumby one. 

Indeed it does, which is why some of get frustrated when our current manager seems to be impervious to criticism.

You make your own luck in football, by working harder than the opposition yes, but mainly by playing to the strengths of your players and attaccking the weaknesses of your opponents. Can't compain about the draw yesterday, Bristol deserved it.

What's up with you lot...comparing us with Leeds etc? yes we have had a few changes in the management department but for (apparently) good reasons. Mac left  because of his Newcastle flirtation, Clement because of his belief we didn't need to get out of our own half to win and had lost the plot, plus other alleged reasons. Wassall was only a stop-gap, so Pearson has stepped in. I don't see any reason why we should not boot him into the long grass if he can't get his act and the players together. He has had enough experience, after all. But I wait to see it in action.

Archived