Who thinks our problems are down to Morris?

oldtimeram

26 minutes ago, David said:

Didn't we finish in the top 6 last season regardless of all this "interference" poor appointments and recruitment? which was better than the season before. 

Aye, but we've done no better since he's come in, have we?

For the record, I'm a fan of MM. I'm a fan of anyone that will put their hard earned into DCFC.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

Speechless.

and so you should be spouting nonsense like this. Clough barely got close to a top 8 finish with these players, let alone a play off final. It was McClaren's team, make no mistake. There are still as many Clough signings involved this season as there was in that play-off side. So if you credit him for a play-off final he had no involvement in, you should criticise him for the current problems that he has also nothing to do with.

2 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

and so you should be spouting nonsense like this. Clough barely got close to a top 8 finish with these players, let alone a play off final. It was McClaren's team, make no mistake. There are still as many Clough signings involved this season as there was in that play-off side. So if you credit him for a play-off final he had no involvement in, you should criticise him for the current problems that he has also nothing to do with.

Even McClaren gave credit to Clough; let it go.

Mel Morris has made it enjoyable watching Derby again, if I ever met him I would hug him and pat him on his head lots.

There have been real mistakes in recruitment, but only mistakes that  are mistakes in hindsight. The only signing I was ever against was Blackman, it was as baffling then as it is now.

As for those saying get back Clough, if we kept him we would never have loaned Thorne, would never have thumped forest 5-0, had a crackin day out at Wembley (bar 60 seconds), got 20 plus goals a season out of Martin and got nearly 20 million for Hendrick and Martin.

Even if we resigned to champ footy for the next 20 years, I wouldn't change things for the world.

29 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

The recruitment policy is the problem, some proper duds. It goes deeper than just ability though, say what you like about Nigel Clough but one thing he did do was put together the right temperament and mentality in the dressing room. His side that got to the playoff final are still the benchmark in spirit and belief here.

1 minute ago, cannable said:

Even McClaren gave credit to Clough; let it go.

Either engage your brain and see what I am responding to, or butt out! If Clough put together a temperament and mentality capable of reaching the play-offs, he would have done so. He didn't. It was McClaren's mentality that was positive and got us to Wembley, not Nigel's "try not to lose" mentality. End of.

Nigel bought the ingredients but didn't know the recipe.

our problems go back to the fateful prem year, we didn't bounce back and have had the stench of failure around the club and fans since then.  We are tinkering with a failed squad and have recruited poorly.  Sometimes I wonder whether the only way to escape this is to have a clean slate by relegation followed by a storming season to follow.  Confidence grows from confidence.  Some of our current players must be dreading match day

5 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Either engage your brain and see what I am responding to, or butt out! If Clough put together a temperament and mentality capable of reaching the play-offs, he would have done so. He didn't. It was McClaren's mentality that was positive and got us to Wembley, not Nigel's "try not to lose" mentality. End of.

Nigel bought the ingredients but didn't know the recipe.

I believe he was referring to the team spirit and 'honesty'… 

17 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Aye, but we've done no better since he's come in, have we?

For the record, I'm a fan of MM. I'm a fan of anyone that will put their hard earned into DCFC.

In what way?

14/15 - 8th
September 2015 - Mel completes the purchase of Derby
15/16 - 5th 
16/17 - ?

If we finish higher than 4th or gain promotion each season has been an improvement on the last.

An owner bankrolling the investment in players can neither spend well or badly. All he can do is, within a predetermined budget, back the manager. Mel doesn't scout the players - all he does is back the judgement of others and provide the cash.

As far as his judgement of managers goes - that remains to be seen because Nigel Pearson brings to the table a massive change of direction.

I would add that only the players signed by NC were subject to bids in the close season and the only 3 NC players that played last night were by far the best 3 players. 

Bring back NC as director of football and SM as Head Coach. Easy. 

3 minutes ago, eddie said:

An owner bankrolling the investment in players can neither spend well or badly. All he can do is, within a predetermined budget, back the manager. Mel doesn't scout the players - all he does is back the judgement of others and provide the cash.

As far as his judgement of managers goes - that remains to be seen because Nigel Pearson brings to the table a massive change of direction.

One person talking some sense.

Im immensely frustrated today - the problem with the club last year or so is nothing more than the huge influx of big budget players creating a bloated squad of egos and a toxic dressing room in the process. Poor performances follow. Mel's only sin is in licensing that and supporting the purchasing whims of the managers. Now Pearson has brought in Vydra - that's his big 8.5m investment. Vydra needs to be producing quickly or he will slowly find himself in the scrap heap of occasional squad player. Like so many others. 

4 minutes ago, sage said:

I would add that only the players signed by NC were subject to bids in the close season and the only 3 NC players that played last night were by far the best 3 players. 

Shotton, Albentosa, Warnock...ok Warnock went on a free but wasn't the deal pretty much done between the two clubs to let him go for free

We only had fees for 2 Clough players

MM is probably not perfect but then again who would be the perfect owner / chairman?

During the clubs most successful years the chairman (a local businessman) was at odds with outspoken manager Clough who went on to prove to be one of the very best in history. Successive chairmen then took the club to the brink of extinction. Bob Maxwell came in and achieved success before leaving the club relegated & short of cash. Lionel was almost too genuine for his own good and couldn't keep the books balanced, after some fantastic seasons and the move to Pride Park. The 3 Amigos were a disaster . The North American - Canadian consortium lacked full transparency & were biding their time in the hope of a windfall.

I think Mel is the best option for the club, but he needs to create a stable harmonious  environment, which may lead to success.

footnote:

The four main west midlands clubs are in Chinese ownership, but only one of these clubs is in the PL. Give it another ten years and most top flight English clubs will be in foreign ownership. It will probably happen to DCFC eventually and that will be for a new generation of DCFC supporters to preside over.

9 minutes ago, David said:

Shotton, Albentosa, Warnock...ok Warnock went on a free but wasn't the deal pretty much done between the two clubs to let him go for free

We only had fees for 2 Clough players

Sorry, i meant deadline day. 

Though i would suggest Shotton and Albentosa aren't examples of a good recruitment policy.

I think for what he's put into the club Mel's match tickets have cost him a lot more than anyone else watching and I don't expect he's altogether happy with what he's seeing right now either.

If you appoint staff and give them the reigns you have to back them. Did he appoint the wrong staff? You would think that Pearson, Powell, Idiakez, Philips & Co should be capable of getting us out of this division.

Maybe he should have questioned it when he was asked to overload the squad for megabucks, but then he would have been accused of not backing his managers I don't think he can ever win.

34 minutes ago, cannable said:

I believe he was referring to the team spirit and 'honesty'… 

well 'he' is capable of defending/explaining himself surely? but even so, the team spirit increased with the feelgood factor, and the positive intent ON the pitch. Nigel deserves immense credit for weeding out those that didn't give a toss about Derby. We could've done with Nigel taking over from Colin Todd 15 years ago.

21 minutes ago, sage said:

Anya and Pearce were 2 of the best 3 players last night. Obviously Hughes had a much better game (well, first half anyway!)

Nigel Clough would've been definitely promoted with someone like McClaren as his right hand man, but Nigel only trusts who he trusts, and that has ultimately, in my opinion, held his managerial career back. 

3 minutes ago, sage said:

Sorry, i meant deadline day. 

Though i would suggest Shotton and Albentosa aren't examples of a good recruitment policy.

Profits on both players?

7 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

well 'he' is capable of defending/explaining himself surely? but even so, the team spirit increased with the feelgood factor, and the positive intent ON the pitch. Nigel deserves immense credit for weeding out those that didn't give a toss about Derby. We could've done with Nigel taking over from Colin Todd 15 years ago.

Anya and Pearce were 2 of the best 3 players last night. Obviously Hughes had a much better game (well, first half anyway!)

Nigel Clough would've been definitely promoted with someone like McClaren as his right hand man, but Nigel only trusts who he trusts, and that has ultimately, in my opinion, held his managerial career back. 

Profits on both players?

Yes and Hendrick fetched £10.5m this summer, 

How did they do after Buxton got injured in the 2014/15 season? What happened to our league position? Laughable to suggest they weren't poor signings. 

Archived