Big wake up call to Tom Ince

Sparkle

4 hours ago, europia said:

Tom Ince has been at the club a tad longer than the new manager though. He has also had plenty of opportunities to stake his place in the team. 

In the time he's been here, he's been a large reason to why we have been one of the best attacking teams in the division.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Coconut said:

Exactly.

When he was at his best (on loan) it was when played with Bent, because for some reason opposition teams still believed that Bent had pace - they'd be busy worrying themselves about what he was doing and it would open up the space for Tom Ince.

That still stood in 2015/16 on the rare occasion they played together (Bristol being the obvious one), but now I think other teams have finally realised that Bent is shot and hardly needs worrying about.

If you put Ince in a team that isn't full of pace and moving the ball quickly then his lack of awareness in tight spaces, his tendency to take 5 touches when 2 will do, and his insistence on getting it on his left foot all become an issue.

Ironically, with the signings of Vydra (especially) and WIlson/Anya, we have some players who the opposition might have the same 'fear factor' about with their pace, which would open up the space for Ince, and he isn't playing!

ps, What the hell has happened to his ability to take a free kick? Good on loan, but absolutely turd for a whole season. Maybe you could put that down to confidence, but I don't think it should make such a dramatic difference to dead ball situations.

Yes I would have liked to see him play with Anya. Ince likes to cut inside, Anya can take a man on and can go wide. So having both would give the oppo a major headache. But I dont think theyve had any gametime together .  

34 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Yes I would have liked to see him play with Anya. Ince likes to cut inside, Anya can take a man on and can go wide. So having both would give the oppo a major headache. But I dont think theyve had any gametime together .  

I'm not sure whether Anya has beaten his man on the outside once in either of the last two games.

Our strikers are reminding me of the deaf stunt man from the Fast Show. When Kev Phillips said " Make sure you're clinical in front of goal " I thought you said scoring goals is not my role.

Anyway in my opinion I would like to see Dean Saunders in as forwards coach great striker great sense of humour which is needed now.

13 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

Under Wassall our form was that of play off contenders. 1.68 points per game gets us in the play offs 2 out of the last 3 seasons (coincidentally the 2 years we did make it in). That was with the same mentally weak squad. The same bunch of players who 'don't care'. For me Pearson has to get us to above 75 points this season otherwise a better manager has taken this squad backwards from somebody who runs our academy and is still employed by us. 

(Wassall had to contend with getting us out of a bad place under Clement, Pearson came in with a clean slate and the whole summer to work on things) 

i will give Pearson time but as far he isn't covering himself in glory. 

Didnt Clement get us to top of the league for a bit too? Wassall wouldnt have done well with us if he had stayed on.

Ince is really being punished for that Burton performance. Good god. (And Johnson for misplayed passes in Game 1). 

Let it go, Nigel ...

and leading 1-0 away with a bit to go is Johnson time not ince time.

Both players can win games and should be given the opportunity to do so.

• 3 months later...
8 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Looks like the wake call arrived with a manager who tries to use him with his game talents - simple really why couldn't Pearson do that with anybody?

Fixed

On 9/14/2016 at 00:11, Millenniumram said:

I think it'll be a different manager who knows what he's doing and starts playing him, because he's on of the best wingers in the division, unlike butterfield who, a good player as he is, is a bloody centre mid!

Quoted for truth!

7 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Haha does look like I sometimes know what I'm talking about:D

We never doubted you for a minute.

It was the rest of the time that was the problem.

;)

Archived