Steve Mc worried for Derby!

irobinson

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Let's pretend the results didn't improve and we did sack Pearson.....

How much money would we have spent on sacking managers over he last few years? I could be very wrong but I would imagine our spend on sacking managers isn't far off the money Leicester spent assembling a team that won the premiership? 

The actual problem isn't how much we've spent sacking managers, it's how much we've spent appointing the wrong managers in the first place.

3 hours ago, admira said:

So ..... who would have him back then? Let's face it, the football was the moist enjoyable we had witnessed for years.

Not me. SM had a great first season - but the moist enjoyable football pretty much dried up after the Brighton playoff games.

The results were good in the first part of the following season and I was happy enough with that. But the performances were never convincing and reminded me of the spluttering (lucky?) promotion season under Billy.

Then in the second part of the second season came the great bottling - and at the same time there was SMs embarrassing responses to questions about Newcastle. By this point SM sounded as lost and clueless as PJ - which might be one of the reasons he got sacked.

He continued to sound just as clueless when managing Newcastle - which might be one of the reasons he got sacked again.

If Pearson goes then Mel should leave SM well alone and try and steal Benitez away from the Geordies. Karma.

11 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

The actual problem isn't how much we've spent sacking managers, it's how much we've spent appointing the wrong managers in the first place.

I can't really fault the appointment of Clement. When you get a young but highly though of coach looking to make his first steps into management and he claims that he buys into the club's philosophy it must seem like a no brainier. 

Unfortunately we had nothing to go off of - no track record, no indications to his style of play during his interview etcetera.

2 minutes ago, cannable said:

I can't really fault the appointment of Clement. When you get a young but highly though of coach looking to make his first steps into management and he claims that he buys into the club's philosophy it must seem like a no brainier. 

Unfortunately we had nothing to go off of - no track record, no indications to his style of play during his interview etcetera.

You can fault it. We should have been looking to get in an experienced manager who could take the squad we had and kick it on another 5 or 10%. We weren't a 'project' a rookie could cut his teeth on, the building had already been done, it just needed an experienced head to put the finishing touches on.

5 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

You can fault it. We should have been looking to get in an experienced manager who could take the squad we had and kick it on another 5 or 10%. We weren't a 'project' a rookie could cut his teeth on, the building had already been done, it just needed an experienced head to put the finishing touches on.

I don't understand all this experienced manager stuff. I'd say getting a manager that fit is much more important than experience.

I would have him back tomorrow - IF Nigel Pearson had already left. Until that happens, then Pearson has my continuing support, as all previous managers had while they were in the hot-seat.

I just wish that it was a bit more enjoyable, one way or another.

26 minutes ago, ramesses said:

Not me. SM had a great first season - but the moist enjoyable football pretty much dried up after the Brighton playoff games.

The results were good in the first part of the following season and I was happy enough with that. But the performances were never convincing and reminded me of the spluttering (lucky?) promotion season under Billy.

Then in the second part of the second season came the great bottling - and at the same time there was SMs embarrassing responses to questions about Newcastle. By this point SM sounded as lost and clueless as PJ - which might be one of the reasons he got sacked.

He continued to sound just as clueless when managing Newcastle - which might be one of the reasons he got sacked again.

If Pearson goes then Mel should leave SM well alone and try and steal Benitez away from the Geordies. Karma.

Performances never convincing? During our first season under McClaren we had a number of OK performances. In fact, we won three games 1-0 on the bounce (QPR, Brighton and Sheff Wed) and neither was exactly a dominating performance.

I think a few are clouded by our form at the end of the 2013/14 season where we played five average sides on the spin and pretty much won them all comfortably (Barnsley, Blackpool, Watford, Huddersfield and Doncaster).

Not all of the 2013/14 season was as rosy. Beofre we beat Forest 5-0 we hadn't scored for four matches, including two home games against Bolton and Millwall.

The first half of the 2014/15 season fell in line. Some spectacular wins against the likes of Fulham (5-1 and 5-2), Wolves (5-0), some easy wins (Brighton 3-0, Reading 3-0, Bolton 2-0), some solid wins over good teams (Blackburn 3-2, Bournemouth 2-0, Watford 2-1) and some mixed results (2-1 losses to Brentford and Wigan, a 0-0 with Millwall).

To suggest we were anything like our Billy Davies side is mindboggling. Under BD we used to get dominated, and somehow emerge victorious usually via a late Steve Howard goal. 

How many games under Steve McClaren did you come out thinking 'we were second best there'... Leeds away, Boro away and Wigan at home? Any more from the 30+ matches before the end of season collapse?

1 hour ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

According to someone I know personally that works at the club he had a contract offer from Newcastle long before we sacked him regardless of the fact we had given neither party permission to discuss terms.

hahahahaha, if the club (I'm assuming you mean Derby?) knew he had a contract offer, the could've a) taken Newcastle to a tribunal, and b) waited for McClaren to resign.

The point however remains the same. If some geordie Slapper offers you the chance to move in with her, and you ignore her and carry on living with your current, loyal mrs. Have YOU done anything wrong? NO.

17 minutes ago, cannable said:

I don't understand all this experienced manager stuff. I'd say getting a manager that fit is much more important than experience.

Indeed. Darren Wassall was the absolute definition of a rookie manager, yet still did better with this gruop of players (so far) than the much more experienced Nigel Pearson.

Forget it, he's been and gone.

We have to get behind Pearson, no choice now but to suck it up and stick with it.

It's like asking a roofer to repoint your chimney, when he's got up on the roof he's seen a load more problems he didn't spot when quoting the original job.

You're not sure if he's genuine or ripping you off, but now he's taken the tiles off its too late to go back.

8 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

We have to get behind Pearson, no choice now but to suck it up and stick with it.

It's like asking a roofer to repoint your chimney, when he's got up on the roof he's seen a load more problems he didn't spot when quoting the original job.

You're not sure if he's genuine or ripping you off, but now he's taken the tiles off its too late to go back.

Rubbish, you tell him to get down and call in another roofer that someone you trust called Sam or Mel recommended to you!

27 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Performances never convincing? During our first season under McClaren we had a number of OK performances. In fact, we won three games 1-0 on the bounce (QPR, Brighton and Sheff Wed) and neither was exactly a dominating performance.

I think a few are clouded by our form at the end of the 2013/14 season where we played five average sides on the spin and pretty much won them all comfortably (Barnsley, Blackpool, Watford, Huddersfield and Doncaster).

Not all of the 2013/14 season was as rosy. Beofre we beat Forest 5-0 we hadn't scored for four matches, including two home games against Bolton and a relegated Millwall.

The first half of the 2014/15 season fell in line. Some spectacular wins against the likes of Fulham (5-1 and 5-2), Wolves (5-0), some easy wins (Brighton 3-0, Reading 3-0, Bolton 2-0), some solid wins over good teams (Blackburn 3-2, Bournemouth 2-0, Watford 2-1) and some mixed results (2-1 losses to Brentford and Wigan, a 0-0 with Millwall).

To suggest we were anything like our Billy Davies side is mindboggling. Under BD we used to get dominated, and somehow emerge victorious usually via a late Steve Howard goal. 

How many games under Steve McClaren did you come out thinking 'we were second best there'... Leeds away, Boro away and Wigan at home? Any more from the 30+ matches before the end of season collapse?

There was a gradual evolution under him. The most attractive and most clinical attacking football took place during his first four months of his tenure, when we were slightly naive. He tried to find the perfect balance between attack and defence following Birmingham away and it all just clicked when Thorne came into the side.We were at our absolute best from Forest to Wembley. The following season was all about control.

That poor goal scoring spell followed the late collapse away at Brum, he tried to make us perfect, we were more defensive minded in those few games in between Brum and Forest. Before Birmingham we would press until we'd won the ball back and went for the jugular. After it we would immediately look to get into our shape defensively. Sadly this resulted in us relying on a screamer from somewhere. 

Then Eustace became suspended and Thorne came in. He started running the show by himself, he made the niece. This allowed us to have an extra runner in Jeff. I think this is when it clicked in McClaren's mind - the perfect balance is to totally control games.

And this is why I think Mascarell played so much. He had it in his locker to control a game. The idea the following season was to just control, break the opposition down. We would press high again but rather than going for the jugular we would, in McClaren's words, "look to get six passes off" because he believed this is how many it took to shift control in your favour. We scored 100 goals that season and broke defensive records. It wasn't as pretty as the previous season but performances in general were miles better.

How many times did we rip a team apart early on and then just controlled? We murdered Brighton and Charlton early on - we'd done enough in both games after just twenty minutes - we just bossed the rest of both games without really looking to score again but at the same time prevented them from getting back into it. These games were frustrating but in hindsight were our way of keeping the opposition at arms length and not risking anything.

The football wasn't as enjoyable but by Christ we were amazing and I think Thorne would have taken us back to our very very best.

Archived