Simon Dawkins appreciation

niram

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was in San Francisco a while back and watched him play vs LA Galaxy with an old Gerrard in midfield. Fans were pretty decent but open air meant that sound did not travel at all.

Trying to post a pic but the insert media function on this forum is dire.

10 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

Trying to post a pic but the insert media function on this forum is dire.

It's not dire, just only available to Members+ ideally the button shouldn't even appear to those that don't have permissions.

If you upload to Imgur, then paste the direct link in here it will show up

1 hour ago, DRBee said:

We were really poor with him in the side weren't we ! Idiot

Attractive play and scoring loads of goals is what I go to see and whatever you say we were in the top one or two teams for scoring goals with MacClaren. Our foot ball is barren at the moment and not half as enjoyable.

You might want to check that thing flying over your head before calling him an idiot?

3 minutes ago, Coconut said:

You might want to check that thing flying over your head before calling him an idiot?

I don't blame people for missing sarcasm at the moment. There are way too many genuine posts floating around expressing those kind of sentiments for it to be amusing.

Just now, rammieib said:

When I see B4 suggesting we bring back a player who only contributed in one game (Fulham away), I really want to find the nearest razor blade and use it on myself!

It was an awesome game for him though (an assist, a great goal before this, and then this lovely bit of skill): 

1 hour ago, David said:

It's not dire, just only available to Members+ ideally the button shouldn't even appear to those that don't have permissions.

If you upload to Imgur, then paste the direct link in here it will show up

It is on imgur, if I direct link it then it auto embeds but doesn't show?

52 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

It is on imgur, if I direct link it then it auto embeds but doesn't show?

The link that you're posting should end in either .png .jpg .jpeg or .gif

On the image page hover over the image and you will see a link and a box with an arrow in, click that arrow and then get share links, bottom left you will see a link for BBCode (forums), thats the link you want 

Just remove the [ img ] and [ /img ] either side

Looks like they've updated the site, used to be a lot easier than that before.

3 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Blimey there are some rose tinted glasses in this thread. Dawkins was tidy but mostly anonymous a few notable performances aside.

He did a similar job to Hughes in the final third. The only difference is people expect that of Hughes and appreciate him for it.

1 hour ago, David said:

The link that you're posting should end in either .png .jpg .jpeg or .gif

On the image page hover over the image and you will see a link and a box with an arrow in, click that arrow and then get share links, bottom left you will see a link for BBCode (forums), thats the link you want 

Just remove the [ img ] and [ /img ] either side

Looks like they've updated the site, used to be a lot easier than that before.

I'm posting the direct image link that's why I didn't understand why it wouldn't show. Let me try here:

Edit: It previews fine but never shows. Oh well. Even the link button won't work for me, not my day I guess.

http://imgur.com/AJiGglt

13 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

I'm posting the direct image link that's why I didn't understand why it wouldn't show. Let me try here:

Edit: It previews fine but never shows. Oh well. Even the link button won't work for me, not my day I guess.

http://imgur.com/AJiGglt

You need to right click on the image, click copy image location and then paste that into the post.

Edit: Or maybe not, hasn't worked for me. Haha, that was a pretty useless bit of advice from me.

24 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

You need to right click on the image, click copy image location and then paste that into the post.

Edit: Or maybe not, hasn't worked for me. Haha, that was a pretty useless bit of advice from me.

That's the thing, pretty experienced with forum stuff like this. Couldn't work out why it wouldn't show when it previews fine.

25 minutes ago, Tombo said:

He was underrated here I think, but this is a bit much. Can someone post highlights to a game he played this well in  that isn't that one game versus Fulham? 

It's the same thing as the non derby fans who say 'I've seen Will Hughes a bunch of times and he never does anything'.  You won't find many games where Dawkins dribbles past 5 players and lashes it in from 30 yards.  What you will find is hundreds of little things, where he controls a pass perfectly, gets his head up and quickly passes it to a free team mate, or takes a pass, turns out of trouble and lays it off correctly.  It might not win you a game on it's own, but a couple of players doing that reliably allows the rest of the team to function so much better.  

Nowadays if Christie picks up the ball and passes it to Ince, Ince is almost certainly going to dribble towards goal and have a shot.  A few times it will go in, and you can make an awesome highlights reel from it.  But the rest of the time, Christie is having to be wary because he knows Ince is going to lose the ball.  Whereas with Dawkins you could give him the ball and go, knowing full well that there's a very good chance that if you make a run, he'll get the ball to you, and also be in space to take it back off you if you get in trouble.

Archived