And so it begins... Enjoy the next few years

Bris Vegas

Perhaps a little dramatic but inclined to in agree in part. If he wanted to start again at Derby with fresh system, fresh players etc then I think we needed to change far more players than we have.

does worryingly seem like we're going to be trying to fit square pegs into round holes for the next few months. 

Fingers crossed it all works out but personally would be surprised if we made the top six this season. Don't think I expected to be saying that when I renewed my season ticket.

also worried that Pearson and Morris will come in for some quite harsh criticism for this deadline day, negative atmosphere at the ground seems to always translate into poor results.

going to be a very interesting September 

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This will all end in tears. Proper train-wreck stuff.

Can't believe what has happened to this club in the short space of 18 months. 

Derby have been used as an example of what not to do when getting promoted. Now they should be used as an exampe of not what to do when deciding to throw £30m+ in a bid to get promoted.

Just now, Bris Vegas said:

Derby have been used as an example of what not to do when getting promoted. Now they should be used as an exampe of not what to do when deciding to throw £30m+ in a bid to get promoted.

Who do you think will get promoted Bris?

Just now, Cam the Ram said:

Who do you think will get promoted Bris?

Had Newcastle and Norwich as top two from the start. Think Brighton and Wednesday are in for good seasons again, and with Martin uptop Fulham could be top six too.

Derby will finish closer to the bottom six than the top six, IMO.

1 minute ago, Bris Vegas said:

Had Newcastle and Norwich as top two from the start. Think Brighton and Wednesday are in for good seasons again, and with Martin uptop Fulham could be top six too.

Villa will be top six as well without a doubt  and expect wolves to do well also

Why are you so optimistic for Newcastle and not ourselves? They've gone out, signed lots of players you'd expect to be top end Championship players for large fees and presumably large wages, just like we did with Johnson, Butterfield, Weimann etc, but you are angry at what has happened to us in the past year or 2 but believe Newcastle will benefit from it.

Enjoy the next few years? I certainly will!

Having spent the last 20 watching shockingly amateurishly run to the point of extinction lower league clubs and wave after wave of non descript basement hoofers in the inglorious surrounds of barren and decrepit ramshackle old football grounds in front of sometimes hundreds of fans AND paying just slightly less than i'm paying now at Derby then my God. Oh yes. Oh yes I will enjoy the next few years alright. Hey, I could even take a Derby relegation in my stride and i'd still think myself lucky as hell.

Next week I could be watching an 8 million pound Czech striker instead of Big John Parkin or Ade Akinfenwa and on top of that I would actually be familiar with most of the opposition instead of trialists from Queen of the South and journeymen pro's whose highest accolade in the game is making 100 appearances for Stevenage.

I'll be in my comfy seat in the NS with a birds eye view of the game and a pitch in pristine condition rather than my usual seat at York which was knackered. Bent forward at an angle so I had to tense my legs all game just to stay level. Moving to a different seat wasn't an option as there was always loads of space - just that ALL the seats were like this. Unchanged probably since the 1800's.

The bogs at the iPro actually have seats on AND TOLIET ROLL!! FFS! What's not to enjoy?! You'll not get that at Rochdale.

Not attempting to belittle anyone's passion for Derby and their sense of injustice and frustration about what they perceive as a club being badly run. I've no right to do so as although I've been through some dire seasons myself and can empathise with all of that, i'm a new fan here and haven't done the hard yards yet. I'm here for the duration now though and being used to total ***** i'm perhaps grateful to actually be going to watch something that both looks and feels like a proper football match when I go and watch Derby.

Fans expectations all differ and Bris Vegas expects more than the club can give him at the moment rightly or wrongly and I think we should respect his views. I have been in a similar situation with York City when the time came to admit that supporting the club was flogging a dead horse and it was time to think of the future and who I want my kid to grow up watching.

With York it's slightly different because knowing what I do and who I do behind the scenes, I am 100% convinced that the club will be going under within a decade, perhaps sooner and it's run like this is the preferred option. I've offered my help off the pitch voluntarily and helped out as best i could financially but you just get taken for granted. A community club with an 'all in it together' ethos isn't supposed to operate in this manner with a clear divide - us and them. Feeling alienated, disenfranchised and ripped off by the club you support for year upon year upon year takes it's toll, is deeply upsetting and some fans approach such a situation differently. Some take a drastic approach which is kind of what I did.

I'm not one of these fans who says they've had enough of the club at any point in time because things aren't going well but then return when things improve. That's not acceptable IMO. You either make a decision to cut ties with that club for good (like I did) or you see it out right to the bitter end warts an' all. There can be no in-between. Just my opinion, not criticising anyone who follows their club in fits and starts like this.

York are a club with an insurmountable number of issues including not even having a stadium to move to when the lease finally runs out on Bootham in a short time and it's clear to see a terminal decline and they just don't have the finances, the passion and desire and the common sense to rectify the situation whether that be from the board, the trust or the fanbase.

In comparison, Derby have so many positives to speak of and I just hope chasing the holy grail of Prem riches doesn't change the mindset of fans into one of entitlement. Expectation is killing football IMO. Hope is far more realistic and a lot more romantic.

By all means tell me to keep my snout out. As I said, newbie fan of 5 games but just my opinion on it.

7 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

So you predicted two of the relegated clubs with their parachute payments and two of the beaten playoff teams from last year would be good? Way to go out on a limb there, Bris.

1 minute ago, Cam the Ram said:

Why are you so optimistic for Newcastle and not ourselves? They've gone out, signed lots of players you'd expect to be top end Championship players for large fees and presumably large wages, just like we did with Johnson, Butterfield, Weimann etc, but you are angry at what has happened to us in the past year or 2 but believe Newcastle will benefit from it.

Because Newcastle haven't brought in players which evidently don't fit their system.

Towards the back-end of last season they were in decent shape, and didn't look like a relegated team. They sold Townsend, replaced him with a like-for-like in Ritchie.

They let Coloccini go, replaced him with a like-for-like in Grant Hanley. Taylor left, they got Cieran Clark in. Sold Cisse, brought in Gayle, sold Wijnaldum, brought in Diame, sold Janmaat, brought in Yedlin.

They've basically replaced like-for-like in every position, and identified players to suit their style.

Mitrovic may not feature, so they got in a target man in Daryl Murphy.

Now compare that to what we did re Johnson, Weimann, Bent, Ince, etc...

2 minutes ago, RamuelLJackson said:

So you predicted two of the relegated clubs with their parachute payments and two of the beaten playoff teams from last year would be good? Way to go out on a limb there, Bris.

Championship is becoming rather predictable I'm afraid. Burnley, Boro, Derby, Hull... Who didn't have those in their top six predictions last season?

Because Newcastle haven't brought in players which evidently don't fit their system.

Towards the back-end of last season they were in decent shape, and didn't look like a relegated team. They sold Townsend, replaced him with a like-for-like in Ritchie.

They let Coloccini go, replaced him with a like-for-like in Grant Hanley. Taylor left, they got Cieran Clark in. Sold Cisse, brought in Gayle, sold Wijnaldum, brought in Diame, sold Janmaat, brought in Yedlin.

They've basically replaced like-for-like in every position, and identified players to suit their style.

Mitrovic may not feature, so they got in a target man in Daryl Murphy.

Now compare that to what we did re Johnson, Weimann, Bent, Ince, etc...

Johnson was the 'big tough' centre mid we'd been crying out for and Butterfield fit in fine. Ince came in on loan and scored for fun in McClaren's system so he looked a good buy. Blackman and Weimann didn't, but now we're changing systems to something that could potentially suit them, hopefully. Pearson is clearly trying to change to his own system and obviously that takes time so why won't you give him a chance rather than writing him off already and stating you're effectively 'done with the club?' 

We seem to be a very spoiled club at the minute. We've got a top six squad regardless of signings, you'd think from the number of wrist-slashers on here that we're a woeful side though. 

We're still pretty much the same squad that was tearing teams apart 18 months ago, give it time and we might just see things click again.

15 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

Johnson was the 'big tough' centre mid we'd been crying out for and Butterfield fit in fine. Ince came in on loan and scored for fun in McClaren's system so he looked a good buy. Blackman and Weimann didn't, but now we're changing systems to something that could potentially suit them, hopefully. Pearson is clearly trying to change to his own system and obviously that takes time so why won't you give him a chance rather than writing him off already and stating you're effectively 'done with the club?' 

Less controversial. 

I'm really not overly impressed with Pearson's tenure, so far. But it's far too early to judge him after 5 games and having hardly bought anyone.

weve just got 10million for Hendrick, which lets face it, is a very good deal for us. (Hes the one midfielder who I was least bothered about seeing the back of)band cost us nothing.

and bought in an exciting prospect in Vydra.

I really want the Maclaren team of 2 years ago to have another chance and 'Just imagine if they were just that little bit better than last time'. But that's just folly.

With that said, if Pearson's got us in the bottom 3 by Christmas and his signings are all duffers, then we can always pull Martin back from his loan at Fulham and give the 4-3-3 another chance with another Manager. 

It's all possible, but let's not give up hope yet, eh?

47 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I don't think we're a train-wreck just yet. You said yourself we're taking two steps backwards in the hope of making three steps forwards. It could still happen. I'm far from happy that this is the way we've decided to do things but… but it's not totally bleak just yet. I think Pearson could be a success if given the time to see the job through and now that we've committed to this path I hope he gets it.

I do think we're one bad move away from being well and truly in the **** though, reminiscent of the mess Jewell left behind.

I'm writing the short term off. I think Pearson can still be a success in the long term.

32 minutes ago, dcfcfan1 said:

We have weakened this window

None of our midfielders are suited to a 4-4-2

We have to play 2 in midfield now, because we only have 3 cms now we didnt replace hendrick

Thorne, Hughes, Bryson, Johnson, Butterfield? That's 5. Not including Hanson and Elsnik, even if you think they aren't ready.

1 minute ago, cannable said:

I don't think we're a train-wreck just yet. You said yourself we're taking two steps backwards in the hope of making three steps forwards. It could still happen. I'm far from happy that this is the way we've decided to do things but… but it's not totally bleak just yet. I think Pearson could be a success if given the time to see the job through and now that we've committed to this path I hope he gets it.

I do think we're one bad move away from being well and truly in the **** though, reminiscent of the mess Jewell left behind.

I'm writing the short term off. I think Pearson can still be a success in the long term.

I hope so. We've taken a massive and unnecessary gamble this summer on something which has no guarantees of working out, only guarantees of making our situation worse if it doesn't succeed.

Archived