DCFC Fan March - 10/09/16 - 4pm Neptune (cancelled)

TomBustler1884

I like the carols idea and if you need signposting in the direction of local charities let me know. However you'd have to co-ordinate this carefully with the club as they have a list of nominated charities for most matches.

Talking of which, the bucket collection at the stadium on Saturday will be for suicide prevention charities to fund work locally so please throw some change in there if you see any of us. 

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Simsy said:

@The 1884 Group

I'm with Mafia Bob on this. Who cares if some Derby fans moan or grumble at the march. No one is forcing them to be part of it.

In other words forget the doubters surely you have enough support and fans who are up for it, the Neptune have a decent following alone! I know the trolling wasn't the only reason you cancelled but don't even let that be a contributing factor!

Difficulty is with the march, youre relying on people who like the idea actually showing up. It would be awful if only 15 people came! The only people who really respond are negative, whereas interested people just decide to go. Hopefully revisit later.

5 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

Im sure the Forest lot have had stick off their own as well..... They've done the right thing though, ignored it. I would personally ignore the whingers and moaners..... Let them mock, let them be negative, you'll always get them. The key is to not give up. Which is what they want.

It was a cracking idea as well..... Maybe do it as a charity thing taking buckets along the way for a local charity perhaps?

Think Liverpool game would be good for a fan March.

Only reason people critiscise is because they don't like or frightened of change. It's football snobbery..... I can't wait for the sad rehashed threads of whinging about half and half scarfs in next week or two for Liverpool game. Instead of them moaning about that irrelevance..... Why don't they help out someone like yourselves in creating something unique and different?

Ive got a fun idea for a home game before Christmas..... It'll get laughed at and mocked..... But it would be unique and quite original to do at a match. 

You need support though, and the initiatives haven't been supported. I have to admit I lost faith when I turned up to one of the fan social events and was one of about five or six people. 

Can't do anything with five or six people. There just isn't enough interest in this. I haven't actually ever been to help them on a matchday. I value my own pre-match prep more than the greater good. So do a lot of people. So I understand the struggles they've had. Majority of fans just do not want any of this unfortunately. Any of it. People don't appreciate the flags or the banners or the marches or any of it. 

4 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

Christmas carols sung in the stadium..... Be pretty unique, maybe link it too charity, imagine hearing that inside a stadium...... As well as the usual chants etc, get the away fans in on it as well. Not going to deny it'll take some organisation mind.

2 hours ago, angieram said:

I like the carols idea ...

Two requests:

Hark thou hear

The Derby sing

That Forest ran away (ran away)

And we will sing for evermore

Because of Boxing Day

and while not strictly a carol I'd also go for:

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas

Just like the ones I use to know (used to know)

Where treetops glisten, and children listen

To hear sleighbells in the snow (in the snow)

On 9/6/2016 at 13:55, The 1884 Group said:

Ugh, not enough people involved with organising it on the day, too much negativity in our fanbase at the moment which wouldn't help it to work, plus I got sick of the abuse and comments about it from Derby fans. Some of whom post on here.

I'll leave it there!

Every time I think our fans can't sink to a new low....

12 minutes ago, Tombo said:

You need support though, and the initiatives haven't been supported. I have to admit I lost faith when I turned up to one of the fan social events and was one of about five or six people. 

Can't do anything with five or six people. There just isn't enough interest in this. I haven't actually ever been to help them on a matchday. I value my own pre-match prep more than the greater good. So do a lot of people. So I understand the struggles they've had. Majority of fans just do not want any of this unfortunately. Any of it. People don't appreciate the flags or the banners or the marches or any of it. 

You've hit on two important points. I don't think it's fans not appreciating it, it's more as you say people have their own pre-match routines and rituals. If people don't want to do it then fine, but the idea that the organisers get stick for trying (and I don't know what stick they got tbf) is appalling.

1 hour ago, Tombo said:

I think lots of fans do appreciate the flags, etc, but as with everything, if people like something they tend not to comment, if people don't like something they comment lots! Having said that, there's a reason we don't put them in the South Stand anymore - lots just got left on seats or on the floor, I saw once a pair of "LADZ" collecting them and chucking them on the floor rather than pass them on to someone who might use them. At least in the North Stand the kids enjoy them!

Cheers for sticking up for us on Facebook though @Tombo!!

We used to sing

Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way

Oh what fun it is to see Derby win away.

But it only works at Christmas; if we are away; if we are winning easily! I think the last time I heard it was at Birmingham on Boxing Day year before last.

5 hours ago, The 1884 Group said:

I think lots of fans do appreciate the flags, etc, but as with everything, if people like something they tend not to comment, if people don't like something they comment lots! Having said that, there's a reason we don't put them in the South Stand anymore - lots just got left on seats or on the floor, I saw once a pair of "LADZ" collecting them and chucking them on the floor rather than pass them on to someone who might use them. At least in the North Stand the kids enjoy them!

Cheers for sticking up for us on Facebook though @Tombo!!

Our lot certainly appreciate the flags in the NS and what's more, the very fact that you are actively trying to make the effort to improve things says a lot about you. If I like something I will comment on it or give thanks and appreciation as i'm sure you would too. Many don't. They just take things for granted, let apathy set in and still have the brass neck to have digs at folk wanting to make everything a better place. It's not exclusively Derby, it's most clubs sadly. The ironic thing is that ultimately these moaners could benefit in the end for doing absolutely p*ss all yet they just can't see it.

Ok so it's a few flags and a march and what not and on the face of it the world won't be changed but what happens if the unthinkable occurred and Derby suddenly found themselves facing administration and the prospect of going bust? Like Pompey? Pompey survived because there were just enough fans willing and passionate enough to get off their arses and do something about it, many more got involved to a lesser extent and also chucked in a few quid here and there. Others simply sat back on their arses and let these other fans rescue the club whilst they probably moaned about it no less on their forum and the other plethora of pointless banal social media platforms.

At lower levels Scarborough Athletic, a club I know well and are now thriving in non league after going bust about 10 years back, they are on the way back because some people ignored all the pessimism and idle comments and were determined to do something about getting their club back. Darlo went bust just over 5 years ago and a new phoenix club was formed and subsequently won 3 promotions and are currently riding high in the NPL where they look good bets for promotion into the National League. All because a smattering of positive determined dedicated fans could be arsed.

Derby would survive the seemingly ridiculous proposition of being wiped off the face of the planet once and for all because of people and groups like 1884, and even if not a new club would be formed. If left to the other lot then neither would happen and Forest get the last laugh once and for all. Ok so it's a ludicrously unlikely scenario but you get the point.

If people don't wish to get involved in trying to improve things then fine, each to their own thing but why slag others off for trying to make a difference? It's bloody weird.

RNLI. If everyone sat at home watching Channel 4 racing on a Saturday afternoon or the flamin' X Factor of an evening then young kids would drown at the seaside. Thankfully some people want to give up their own time to help.  Hospices. If everyone did nothing then loved one's who are suffering will be forced to suffer even more. Thankfully there are enough kind people who are brave enough to help. Nothing can be achieved by people not giving a toss. Anything can be achieved if you really care.

I'm afraid that there's a nasty side to some fans at the moment that I witnessed in full force at the Burton game. They shout abuse at the team and their fellow fans and seem to get a kick out of the way it annoys people. The more you take issue with it the more they do it and smirk with their mates. I don't know why and I don't know whether it will ever stop now. But it's killing the match atmosphere and initiatives like this. I wish they'd stay away from the club. We don't need fans like that :angry:

6 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

I'm afraid that there's a nasty side to some fans at the moment that I witnessed in full force at the Burton game. They shout abuse at the team and their fellow fans and seem to get a kick out of the way it annoys people. The more you take issue with it the more they do it and smirk with their mates. I don't know why and I don't know whether it will ever stop now. But it's killing the match atmosphere and initiatives like this. I wish they'd stay away from the club. We don't need fans like that :angry:

Thing is mate there's nowt you can do about that. People are just like that. All you can do is get your head down and do what you think will make a difference to the club and to the fans that will appreciate it. It's not worth even considering others. You'll know you're doing what's right and that's all that matters. Oh, some others will too so it's not all bad.

Bit of a clichéd Buddhist thing but one which I've tried to put into practice and it's helped me in my life as I used to be in trouble all the time with folk that wound me up. If you learn to let absolutely nothing or nobody's actions bother you or change your mood / way of thinking then you are completely free. If your car breaks down then naturally you'll be annoyed but if you just accept it and get on with it and even look for positives and not reasons why then it won't bother you.

Is it usually bad at away games or just because it was Burton and is it a handful of fans or large numbers / groups of fans being aggressive / abusive?

I've no idea as not been to an away game yet. :(

For what it's worth @The 1884 Group, I know I and everyone around me at the game appreciate the efforts you've made so far.

For everyone who moans on twitter etc, you've got 50 people who love what you're trying to do who attend games.

You need to focus on what the unfortunately silent majority want, and sod what the boo boys on social media post.

I think a march from the Merlin could still be a goer, start small and build upon it.

By April, we'll be setting off from Matlock!

Have been an interested viewer from afar and have been really impressed with all the work you've put in and has made me feel proud the club seemed to have a heart. Really disappointed that some have chosen to moan at every turn, its so much easier to be a cynic and a hater than someone who stands for something.  Hope you manage to get it to work next time....Boxing Day wouldn't be a bad day for an event ...Surely even the most cynical fan can show some positivity then.

On 07/09/2016 at 21:27, The 1884 Group said:

Maybe next time we need to create ithe as an event for people to say they're coming to, might help people get on board and give us a better idea of numbers

In the modern world there's no alternative to using social media for this sort of thing. Because you've mentioned it I believe you have a Facebook page or group and, if that's the case, you'd need to make it an event with description on there. And get people to sign up to say they're attending (or they might be attending). I'm an aberration as I don't do Facebook so my way would be free Eventbrite tickets!

Not having a social media presence for an event is like the old-fashioned days of hosting a house party that's planned to start at 8pm, and you're still alone in your house at 7.45 wondering if anyone's going to come. And then the saddos arrive early...

Archived