Burton Albion vs Derby County

Carl Sagan

1 hour ago, David said:

Nope, right manager right time, club wanted to move on to the next level, attendances were dropping, was all a little stale, didn't feel Nigel was the right man for the job and replaced him.

That's football.

Saying that I don't think any manager has ever been sacked, agreed with the reasons and timing but you move on. 2 jobs later Nigel is clearly struggling which is a shame tbh.

If that article is accurate (this is the British press) then it doesn’t sound like he’s ‘clearly struggling’ does it. He sounds quite feisty, is accurate enough in his summary, and just to add spice to the occasion chucks in some personal antipathy towards Rush. Given I’m not Sam Rush or a member of Sam Rush’s immediate family I don’t have too much of a problem with that.

If Clough’s intention is to fire up his team then I hope he succeeds, that Burton makes a good game of it, and that we eventually stuff them 4-0. However I do hope Clough keeps Burton in the championship.  As long as they’re not our unlikely challengers for a promotion spot then I might even go as far as cheering them on at one or two of their home games this season, just like I did last.

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

You won't find many more grateful than me Ronnie for the work Nigel did at the club, arresting the slide and rebuilding on a shoestring budget. I was very disappointed and angry with his treatment back then. I should also add that l don't think Rush is any big shakes.

My point, however, is that Nigel doesn't help himself. His response to enquiries like this should simply be "it is well known that l was disappointed by my treatment by Derby at the time, but all my focus and energy is now centred on Burton'. He would be well served by his friends and family encouraging him to move on. Otherwise he is in serious danger of looking a bit of a tw@t.

Fair point.

Just think he struggles to resist, he doesn't get too many chances to have a sneaky little dig but when those chances pop up he does like to jump in two footed :-)

I've seen a couple of changes in him this season, maybe he's relaxing his style a little bit, I think the promotion just gone probably put him at ease, before that maybe he felt a little unfulfilled or harshly judged as a manager.

I just think with Sam Rush and probably McCabe at Sheffield United the grudge will last a bit longer. I personally think his treatment at Sheffield United was worse than at Derby, at least at Derby he got time.

Nowt wrong with it really, Sam's always got the option of having a little pop back if he feels NC is overstepping the mark.

10 minutes ago, ramesses said:

If that article is accurate (this is the British press) then it doesn’t sound like he’s ‘clearly struggling’ does it. He sounds quite feisty, is accurate enough in his summary, and just to add spice to the occasion chucks in some personal antipathy towards Rush. Given I’m not Sam Rush or a member of Sam Rush’s immediate family I don’t have too much of a problem with that.

Not sure about feisty or adding spice, comes across as extremely bitter to me which is pretty sad. many Derby fans still have fond memories of Nigel, no need for any of this. 

This is just 3 points for Nigel, would love to get one over on us and that's great, fire the players up in the dressing room, I would hope our Nigel will be doing the same as a defeat tonight will really hurt us. 

Bit more class in front of the media needed for me. 

2 hours ago, ronnieronalde said:

To be fair, he's right about Rush.

I know no-one likes to hear it around here but for what he's spent and sanctioned and pushed for he hasn't half under delivered on his promises. Usually when the CEO fails, he goes.

I think he's finally got it right in hiring Pearson but before that??

30m quid spent on players,  a flop of a hire in Clement and a car crash waiting to happen in McClaren, doubling the wage bill, several u-turns in strategy and philosophy and 3 seasons later people still hold him up as the saviour of Derby.

Still at least the "recruitment and relationships" side of the club has been hugely upgraded.

Derby loaning players from Man Utd while poor little Burton under nasty no friends Nige have to settle for players on loan from erm Leicester and  Spurs.....

I'll say this quietly but you all know I'm thinking it anyway.

COME ON YOU BREWERS :-)

I'm happy for Derby to storm the league and get promoted by Easter but for two games this season.. well it would be rude not to hope. 

I can see it being a high scoring game, Burton's wing backs can get a bit exposed but going forward they'll create a lot of chances.

I agree.....Clough did a good job on a limited budget.....Rush has failed to deliver promotion despite a fortune spent. Clough did his job properly while Rush has been INCOMPETENT so far.

2 hours ago, ronnieronalde said:

21 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

Fair point.

Just think he struggles to resist, he doesn't get too many chances to have a sneaky little dig but when those chances pop up he does like to jump in two footed :-)

I've seen a couple of changes in him this season, maybe he's relaxing his style a little bit, I think the promotion just gone probably put him at ease, before that maybe he felt a little unfulfilled or harshly judged as a manager.

I just think with Sam Rush and probably McCabe at Sheffield United the grudge will last a bit longer. I personally think his treatment at Sheffield United was worse than at Derby, at least at Derby he got time.

Nowt wrong with it really, Sam's always got the option of having a little pop back if he feels NC is overstepping the mark.

I'm pleased that they've seemingly done nothing since he left. It's all well and good saying they have one of the biggest budgets in league one but the squad was rotten to the core when they went down. I would have liked to have seen Clough given the rest of that season with so,e of the financial shackles removed. A lot was said about maybe him not being trusted with the money due to spunking lots of Sammon but in comparison to the ***** we've overpaid for he couldn't have gone much worse than his successors. 

I always felt he was a good manager with too much loyalty to friends who weren't up to the job. With a better coaching team he could have taken us places I feel. 

Anyway back to the game, hope he and Brayford get a good reception but I hope we smash them because we need it!

34 minutes ago, ramesses said:

If Clough’s intention is to fire up his team then I hope he succeeds, that Burton makes a good game of it, and that we eventually stuff them 4-0. However I do hope Clough keeps Burton in the championship.  As long as they’re not our unlikely challengers for a promotion spot then I might even go as far as cheering them on at one or two of their home games this season, just like I did last.

I'm far more concerned as to whether our lot make a good game of it, to be honest & based on performances so far.

18 minutes ago, David said:

Lowe will be in the squad tonight then.

11 minutes ago, North_Stand_Ram said:

Elsnik? Might travel? 

Not surprised, both were positive on Tuesday eve. Bradley unlikely to be fit too, they've both earnt a spot on the bench for sure

3 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Given that, I'd expect something along the lines of:

Carson; Christie, Keogh, Shackell, Olsson; Hughes; Camara, Bryson, Butterfield, Ince; Martin

Bench: Grant, Baird, Pearce, Blackman, Bent, Wilson, Lowe.

Think Elsnik will be involved. Don't know who at the expense of though. Maybe Blackman? 

3 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Think Elsnik will be involved. Don't know who at the expense of though. Maybe Blackman? 

Whilst I absolutely agree that Blackman doesn't deserve to be in the team on current performances, and Lowe and Elsnick both looked good midweek, dropping an expensively signed first team player for a couple of youth players is a major statement.  It's bordering on telling Blackman his Derby career is over, especially if it carries on beyond a single game.  I'll be pretty surprised if any first team players are left out for those 2 at this stage of the season.

41 minutes ago, David said:

Not sure about feisty or adding spice, comes across as extremely bitter to me which is pretty sad. many Derby fans still have fond memories of Nigel, no need for any of this. 

This is just 3 points for Nigel, would love to get one over on us and that's great, fire the players up in the dressing room, I would hope our Nigel will be doing the same as a defeat tonight will really hurt us. 

Bit more class in front of the media needed for me. 

Clough is not a complete natural with the media - but at least he didn't take tips about how to be ‘classy’ from those smug and self-congratulatory “Rush and Vicars” interviews we all used to enjoy.

1 minute ago, ramesses said:

Clough is not a complete natural with the media - but at least he didn't take tips about how to be ‘classy’ from those smug and self-congratulatory “Rush and Vicars” interviews we all used to enjoy.

I couldn't watch that one of them in Starbucks! So cringey! 

Sith Happens

Not sure if mentioned, but for those who cannot get who have sky but not sky sports you can watch free on sky sports mix tonight.

21 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

Whilst I absolutely agree that Blackman doesn't deserve to be in the team on current performances, and Lowe and Elsnick both looked good midweek, dropping an expensively signed first team player for a couple of youth players is a major statement.  It's bordering on telling Blackman his Derby career is over, especially if it carries on beyond a single game.  I'll be pretty surprised if any first team players are left out for those 2 at this stage of the season.

Well neither are involved with the u23s, so you'd imagine that means both are involved with the seniors.

If they're not, leaving them out of the u23s is criminal. They're first names on the teamsheet for them.

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, SaintRam said:

I wish this was a unique perspective, but it's very far from it :( 

and its rubbish, they are a championship team and deserve to be, dont think losing this will be worse than losing to mk dons at home last season.

Archived