Burton Albion vs Derby County

Carl Sagan

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So many different mixes so far as NP decides his best group so I am not too bothered who starts as no one has really shone. What we need now is a good win and some goals. 

Having said that, I'd like to see Hughes in an advanced position, and Ince because he has the capacity to work a bit of magic. I'd also like to see TImi Max as he will be bursting with confidence and enthusiasm after last night .. We need to take advantage of that. 

Carson

Christie               Keogh               Shackell            Olsson 

Bryson        Butterfield     Hughes

Ince                    Martin                     Russell 

Big victory. Ince or Butterfield to score a worldy.

11 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

....Nigel Clough was dealt a difficult hand at Derby, getting the high earners off the wage bill while stabilizing the club in the Championship. Hindsight looks kindly on him in the light of the club’s recruitment since, but Steve McClaren undoubtedly got more out of Clough’s players. What kind of reception with Clough Jnr receives on what may be an emotional day for him? That’s up to you guys, but I hope it’s a good one, but that our players then show no mercy....

Undoubtedly? The season Clough was sacked his record against the same teams was pretty much identical to McClaren’s. Earlier that season under Clough there were clear signs of the potential of the squad he’d put together (against Millwall, Yeovil).

SM and Simmo did really well that season. However it’s possible Clough might have done as well or better that season if he’d not been sacked. Then again, maybe not. We’ll never know – which is not the same as undoubtedly.

I like NC, did a fantastic job for us despite the constraints, but we need to hammer them on friday,

would like to see..

Carson

Pearce   Keogh   Shackell   

Hanson  Olson

Bryson    Hughes   Butterfield   Camara

Martin

2 hours ago, DesertRam said:

I like NC, did a fantastic job for us despite the constraints, but we need to hammer them on friday,

would like to see..

Carson

Hanson  Olson

Martin

I hope to god that isn't the team chosen, our lads struggle to master the most basic of 4-4-2's, never mind that!

7 hours ago, ramesses said:

SM and Simmo did really well that season. However it’s possible Clough might have done as well or better that season if he’d not been sacked. Then again, maybe not. We’ll never know – which is not the same as undoubtedly.

The results may have been just as good (but I personally doubt it). I think we can probably agree that the football wouldn't have been as good to watch though.

2 hours ago, DesertRam said:

would like to see..

Carson

Hanson  Olson

Martin

Pep?

1 minute ago, philmycock said:

Anyone know if there's street parking round them new houses where Eton Park used to be, think I'm gonna drive down the back roads through Mickleover, Hilton, Rolleston & Stretton to miss the traffic, feel free to follow me

Wetmore Road probably better.

I think we will go with

Carson

Christie               Keogh                   Shackell          Olsson

Bryson                  Hughes

Russell                             Ince                          Camara

Martin

Subs - Grant Pearce Lowe Butterfield Elsnik Blackman Bent

34 minutes ago, philmycock said:

Anyone know if there's street parking round them new houses where Eton Park used to be, think I'm gonna drive down the back roads through Mickleover, Hilton, Rolleston & Stretton to miss the traffic, feel free to follow me

Just park in Stretton

Burton play with 3 big donkey centre backs, 2 wingers (Akins/Dyer) as their wingbacks and 3 central midfielders.

I'd therefore expect/hope we'll stick with 3 central midfielders to prevent being outnumbered.

While i'm a fan of Martin i'd be inclined to go with pace up top to run their 3 donkeys ragged.

Therefore...

CARSON

CHRISTIE      KEOGH       SHACKELL     OLSSON

BUTTERFIELD

BRYSON                HUGHES

INCE                                             RUSSELL

WILSON

9 hours ago, ramesses said:

Undoubtedly? The season Clough was sacked his record against the same teams was pretty much identical to McClaren’s. Earlier that season under Clough there were clear signs of the potential of the squad he’d put together (against Millwall, Yeovil).

We we conceding two set-piece goals every three games under Clough that year and it painfully clear to see that we needed a holding-midfielder on the pitch and yet Clough only played Eustace once Jeff and Coutts were injured. 

No doubt in my mind that just from how shambolic we were at defending set-pieces under Clough wouldn't have seen us do as well as we did under McClaren. This is before even taking anything else into account.

2 hours ago, Wolfie said:

The results may have been just as good (but I personally doubt it). I think we can probably agree that the football wouldn't have been as good to watch though.

We were scoring lovely goals under Clough, to be fair. 

Archived