Burton Albion vs Derby County

Carl Sagan

Clough is getting boring. He puts me in mind of a bloke saying 'but the missus said not to bother getting her anything for her birthday'.  He isn't really that stupid is he? Sure they may have said it but no-one believes a Chairman who says 'just get the spending down, the style of play and league position doesn't matter, seriously don't worry about it you've a job for life'...

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, davenportram said:

When  you consider the facts that the wage bill had been cut from 17m to 6.8m in his time at the club (figures quoted in the article you linked) and we improved league position every season bar 1, then I can understand why after meeting that target and improvinf the team he is a little unhappy at being removed.

Nope, right manager right time, club wanted to move on to the next level, attendances were dropping, was all a little stale, didn't feel Nigel was the right man for the job and replaced him.

That's football.

Saying that I don't think any manager has ever been sacked, agreed with the reasons and timing but you move on. 2 jobs later Nigel is clearly struggling which is a shame tbh.

12 minutes ago, davenportram said:

When  you consider the facts that the wage bill had been cut from 17m to 6.8m in his time at the club (figures quoted in the article you linked) and we improved league position every season bar 1, then I can understand why after meeting that target and improvinf the team he is a little unhappy at being removed.

Absolutely (and I REALLY don't want to re-start the whole debate again) but still making highly personal and public digs at a former boss 4 years after the event just portray him as a bitter little man who doesn't half bear a grudge. Not exactly endearing qualities & it takes me back to his public criticism of our players and freezing certain ones out, while he was our boss.

Maybe we should get him Adele's phone number. Mind you - she's not a small lady & have you ever seen them in the same room together???????

#Adeleisnigelclough

I appreciate what he did heck I even enjoyed switching strikers for defenders to make sure we was put under pressure. He did kind of save the club which people must be appreciative about but come on Clough stop going on about how badly treated u were etc.

Getting very boring now!

I don't begrudge him the bitterness. He's right to remain annoyed but that being said he's just so boring. What a contrast him and his papa! Nigel Pearson reminds me more of Cloughie in his swag than Jr Cloughie does.

I still can't believe that we are actually playing Burton in a competitive league match !! 

I hark back to all of those pre-season matches back in the 80's when Eton Park used to be taken over by us, and thinking 'aaaahhhh.....bless em'. 

And now ? Like a lot of Rams fans, I used to watch a lot of Albion games on weekends when I couldn't be arsed to watch us away ( shocking, I know ), but we discovered that if you arrived at Eton Park at 1330, then you could bags the seat by the window in the bar and could watch the whole game with a beer in your hand !! This was in the days when Warnock was their boss.

I shall be getting up at 0530 to watch it live on BEiN Sports.....the joys of living in Oz....

Shove it up Clough and his mardy ass !

To be fair, he's right about Rush.

I know no-one likes to hear it around here but for what he's spent and sanctioned and pushed for he hasn't half under delivered on his promises. Usually when the CEO fails, he goes.

I think he's finally got it right in hiring Pearson but before that??

30m quid spent on players,  a flop of a hire in Clement and a car crash waiting to happen in McClaren, doubling the wage bill, several u-turns in strategy and philosophy and 3 seasons later people still hold him up as the saviour of Derby.

Still at least the "recruitment and relationships" side of the club has been hugely upgraded.

Derby loaning players from Man Utd while poor little Burton under nasty no friends Nige have to settle for players on loan from erm Leicester and  Spurs.....

I'll say this quietly but you all know I'm thinking it anyway.

COME ON YOU BREWERS :-)

I'm happy for Derby to storm the league and get promoted by Easter but for two games this season.. well it would be rude not to hope. 

I can see it being a high scoring game, Burton's wing backs can get a bit exposed but going forward they'll create a lot of chances.

9 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

I know no-one likes to hear it around here but for what he's spent and sanctioned and pushed for he hasn't half under delivered on his promises. Usually when the CEO fails, he goes.

30m quid spent on players,  a flop of a hire in Clement and a car crash waiting to happen in McClaren, doubling the wage bill, several u-turns in strategy and philosophy and 3 seasons later people still hold him up as the saviour of Derby.

Still at least the "recruitment and relationships" side of the club has been hugely upgraded.

Derby loaning players from Man Utd while poor little Burton under nasty no friends Nige have to settle for players on loan from erm Leicester and  Spurs.....

I'm happy for Derby to storm the league and get promoted by Easter but for two games this season.. well it would be rude not to hope. 

I can see it being a high scoring game, Burton's wing backs can get a bit exposed but going forward they'll create a lot of chances.

Since Sam Rush has come attendances have improved greatly, he managed to attract Mel Morris towards the club, we became a category 1 youth academy, our training ground has improved massively, despite all the money spent our finances are still sound and best of all he took the guts to sack Clough which was something that should have been done years before.

Just now, TheDeadlySaul said:

Since Sam Rush has come attendances have improved greatly, he managed to attract Mel Morris towards the club, we became a category 1 youth academy, our training ground has improved massively, despite all the money spent our finances our still sound and best of all he took the guts to sack Clough which was something that should have been done years before.

There's no point me arguing or debating really. Not one person will change their mind anyway.

Some of your points however just aren't right..

Morris was already involved at the club before Rush got here.

The academy category 1 work and application started under NC and Wass.

The training ground, I've not seen how much it's changed, I've heard it's one of the best in the country but hasn't  the next stage of that expansion been put on hold now?

Taking the decision to fire Clough whether right or wrong, the decisions since then have been unbelievably expensive and on the whole they haven't worked out brilliantly and there's no getting away from the fact Rush has sanctioned the spending of 30m plus and the club is still in the same division it was. 

4 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

There's no point me arguing or debating really. Not one person will change their mind anyway.

Some of your points however just aren't right..

Morris was already involved at the club before Rush got here.

The academy category 1 work and application started under NC and Wass.

The training ground, I've not seen how much it's changed, I've heard it's one of the best in the country but hasn't  the next stage of that expansion been put on hold now?

Taking the decision to fire Clough whether right or wrong, the decisions since then have been unbelievably expensive and on the whole they haven't worked out brilliantly and there's no getting away from the fact Rush has sanctioned the spending of 30m plus and the club is still in the same division it was. 

I think at the end of the day, the most convincing fact that makes me like Sam Rush is that I've enjoyed every season he has been here far more then the 5 seasons under Clough.

3 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

Rush has sanctioned the spending of 30m

Whilst you have some valid points, this is something that may not be the case. Maybe Mel gave the go ahead even if Sam said let's hang on or do we need to. We will never know the full ins and outs but Mel would certainly have given it the final yes, and we can't just say it was Sam that sanctioned it, it was the club as a whole.

Just now, TheDeadlySaul said:

I think at the end of the day, the most convincing fact that makes me like Sam Rush is that I've enjoyed every season he has been here far more then the 5 seasons under Clough.

So have you enjoyed Sam Rush or were you enjoying

Grant, Forsyth, Keogh, Buxton, Bryson, Hughes, Hendrick, Russell, Martin, Ward and Eustace (in THAT season) (not forgetting Wisdom and Dawkins)

11 Players that cost less than Jacob Butterfield.

I'm all for admitting the team has been quality but for heralding the CEO, not my cup of tea.

Anyway, I get that a lot of people are pleased Clough has gone, I'm ok with that and don't want to get involved in anything about it anymore.

It's just one game, it's just a potential three points, it's just tonight. I hope NC and his team come away with a decent result Sam Rush or no Sam Rush.

5 seasons under Clough changed the fortunes of the club,3 seasons under Rush was  rubish,The club he inherited was sound,The playing Staff was quality,,He rode in changed the the structure of the club,and failed ,Mel Morris and his millions,

Helped keep the club in the top six,with all the sighnings and youth development that Clough brought in,At last,Mel called a halt to Sam Rush being a football guru,and brought Pearson in to sort out his mess.Back to square one .

Loads of  expensive signings and big wage bills.no end product.Clough is over for Derby,that is past,but i will always be gratefull for a job well done,and tonight will take a draw,would love burton to survive,but promotion for Derby

8 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

Grant, Forsyth, Keogh, Buxton, Bryson, Hughes, Hendrick, Russell, Martin, Ward and Eustace (in THAT season) (not forgetting Wisdom and Dawkins)

I'm all for admitting the team has been quality but for heralding the CEO, not my cup of tea.

Anyway, I get that a lot of people are pleased Clough has gone, I'm ok with that and don't want to get involved in anything about it anymore.

It's just one game, it's just a potential three points, it's just tonight. I hope NC and his team come away with a decent result Sam Rush or no Sam Rush.

insert-samrush129-2324151.jpg

9 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

On the pitch he's not been a rip roaring success, granted.

Off the pitch is a different story, commercial deals, sponsorship, all increasing revenues. Making sure we're on solid foundations. That's why I rate Rush.

49 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

You won't find many more grateful than me Ronnie for the work Nigel did at the club, arresting the slide and rebuilding on a shoestring budget. I was very disappointed and angry with his treatment back then. I should also add that l don't think Rush is any big shakes.

My point, however, is that Nigel doesn't help himself. His response to enquiries like this should simply be "it is well known that l was disappointed by my treatment by Derby at the time, but all my focus and energy is now centred on Burton'. He would be well served by his friends and family encouraging him to move on. Otherwise he is in serious danger of looking a bit of a tw@t.

Archived