The whining about Pearson thread

cheron85

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Tombo said:

Why does he need to evaluate the squad? Does he not know any of these players? Has he not done his research?

His decisions in the opening games indicate he hasn't, so yeah, you're right. He is a few steps behind. I'm waiting for him to catch on to what most Derby fans would be able to tell him in a 5 minute conversation.

The last manager didn't and look where that has lead us. I imagine he has read dossiers and dossiers on the whole squad and coaching set up, of course but until he see's these players in competitive football does he really know what he's dealing with? We might as well sign every player we see with a decent YouTube highlights reel on your basis and we both know that would be absolutely absurd. 

I imagine they all look world class on the training pitch, we've had a good pre-season too but as soon as we come up against anything remotely competitive we've shat our pants once again. 

I'm not sure he is behind, I'm pretty sure he's watched a lot of our recent football and the persistence with 433 with these players and we know how that has ended for us. I'm just not sure he knows how to fix it yet. Whether that will be on his terms with his formation or reverting back to a 433.. who knows, time will tell. 

Luckily for me, I don't expect him to fix it after three games like some people are demanding. I personally don't see the problem with giving him time, he's got a proven track record so why not give him a chance? He's not even been in the job 100 days yet. 

The donut at the top of this club is the problem. I know that's an unpopular opinion but he's the one that's destabilised this club in the space of 18 months.

We could debate to death about tactics and why this manager or that manager picked certain players.

Its off the field that worries me more than on the field. I don't see it improving anytime soon.

1 minute ago, Mr Tibbs said:

The last manager didn't and look where that has lead us. I imagine he has read dossiers and dossiers on the whole squad and coaching set up, of course but until he see's these players in competitive football does he really know what he's dealing with? We might as well sign every player we see with a decent YouTube highlights reel on your basis and we both know that would be absolutely absurd. 

I imagine they all look world class on the training pitch, we've had a good pre-season too but as soon as we come up against anything remotely competitive we've shat our pants once again. 

If only there was some way to watch our matches from last season in order to see the players in a competitive environment. It would've been helpful to be able to speak to the bloke who managed the team for the second half of the season, if only he were still on our payroll.

7 hours ago, philmycock said:

Would be nice to hear Mel's reasonings for ending "The Derby Way" philosophy of nice football with a coach, with the appointment of NP and his history of kick and rush football being completely against everything he stood for last summer.

I would actually love Mel to be quizzed on this. 

14 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

The donut at the top of this club is the problem. I know that's an unpopular opinion but he's the one that's destabilised this club in the space of 18 months.

We could debate to death about tactics and why this manager or that manager picked certain players.

Its off the field that worries me more than on the field. I don't see it improving anytime soon.

Very good observation Mafia.  

The Derby Way has never existed, other than for a few short weeks when it was put out there as a smokescreen to cover the sacking of Clement. Far too many, particularly those full of breakfast, swallowed the idea that Mr Morris had a footballing philosophy. He hasn't, but he has got loads and loads of money, and he is very happy to spend a lot of it to get where he wants to be, hobnobbing with the big boys in the Prem.

l actually think he has now picked a very able manager to achieve his goal, but there are a lot on here who would do well to remember that the team/club has been going backwards since Mr Morris took control of the club.

There are lots of people saying it's the managers job to get the best out of the current squad, but that's not necessarily true. That certainly wasn't the job Nigel Clough was asked to do, for example. Pearson may have been asked to take the club in a new direction, or been invited to totally stamp his ethos on the club. We don't know.

And that's my gripe. We don't know. Mel Morris has owned this club for over a year now and to tell the truth, I know even less about him and his vision for Derby County than I did before he was announced as owner.

We sacked Paul Clement for failing to stick to "the Derby Way", which a lot of fans still don't understand. I clearly don't either. My understanding was a club which had the same playing style and ethos through every age level, which was entertaining and attacking, with a clear path into the first team for Academy talent. That was what I took the Derby Way to mean, and clearly I was wrong.

Nigel Pearson's great at what he does, and what he does might be better. But it's a clear change in direction for us. And we've not really had this change in direction explained.

The "Derby Way" that Paul Clement, we're told, so unforgivably strayed away from is surely embodied by one of the most exciting players we've ever produced. Sure, Will Hughes may have been born in Surrey but for all intents and purposes he is a talent we discovered on our own doorstep and nurtured at our training ground. I'm 22 years old and he is, in terms of natural ability, the best player I have ever seen wear the Derby shirt. He's the shining example of what we can do,

I really hope Nigel Pearson has a bloody good reason for not playing him at the minute, because if not, appointing a manager who would even consider dropping him when fully fit is as good an example as any that we have completely ditched the "Derby Way" thing and moved on to something different. That's absolutely fine, and I'll give that time - Nigel Pearson's proven he can do it more so than any other recent manger we've had. But can we please be told if that's the case? It's much easier to support the club in difficult moments if you understand the intended goal further down the road.

I've always thought of Mel Morris as an ideas man capable of seeing the bigger picture, but given the nature of Paul Clement's sacking and the appointment of a manager so different in style makes me reassess that. Our owner is a fan and, like us, the bigger picture gets easily lost in the heat of the moment. I fear Mel was seduced by the success of Leicester and has ditched everything that's been built in recent years in a bid to copy what they've done.

2 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

The Derby Way has never existed, other than for a few short weeks when it was put out there as a smokescreen to cover the sacking of Clement. Far too many, particularly those full of breakfast, swallowed the idea that Mr Morris had a footballing philosophy. He hasn't, but he has got loads and loads of money, and he is very happy to spend a lot of it to get where he wants to be, hobnobbing with the big boys in the Prem.

l actually think he has now picked a very able manager to achieve his goal, but there are a lot on here who would do well to remember that the team/club has been going backwards since Mr Morris took control of the club.

I genuinely believe that Mel was dead set on 'the Derby Way' as it is hardly a new concept it football, plenty of established sides follow a similar philosophy.

What I don't get is why he has seemed to scrap it instantly by appointing Pearson.

2 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I also think he's picked a good bloke to manage the club. Patience is the key......

Lets be honest though, hasn't really got good form on that subject.

Also, it is rather strange we haven't made any additions, especially even the u21/23 level group. 

Only one reason why we haven't spent anything.

This club has gone from being run in a decent manner to what I feel is a businessmans toy. I'm more disappointed than angry. 

Hope I get egg on my face and be wrong.

Mr Morris..... Best thing that happens to the club in years? Give me a break

58 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Just watching Conte play 4231 at Chelsea, a manager who pretty much has played 352 his entire managerial career.

Why isn't he playing 352 at Chelsea? Is it because he's looked at his squad, realised he doesn't have the players for 352 and used a system to get the best out of what he has at his disposal?

Pearson on the other hand is stubborn! Playing 442 with a central midfielder at left wing and a striker at right wing is a joke.

Just to counter that, Guardiola has got Man City into his way, certainly if you believe his reasoning for dropping Joe Hart.

Not that I disagree, Pearson is making the whole thing a lot more difficult, for a reason I don't understand. I thought he was the right man to give the players a good kick up the arse and find that consistency, not change the whole style!

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

Just watching Conte play 4231 at Chelsea, a manager who pretty much has played 352 his entire managerial career.

Why isn't he playing 352 at Chelsea? Is it because he's looked at his squad, realised he doesn't have the players for 352 and used a system to get the best out of what he has at his disposal?

Pearson on the other hand is stubborn! Playing 442 with a central midfielder at left wing and a striker at right wing is a joke.

yeah because clement and wassall never played blackman on the wing did they? or Johnson?

1 hour ago, Tombo said:

Why has he waited for the season to be underway though? Says to me he believes the squad is capable of fitting his philosophy so that's rubbish

You don't know why he hasn't signed anyone. He's probably wanted to give them a chance to show they can do it? 

Don't assume to know what he is thinking.

One thing that really really does my head in is people using that 4-1 battering as an example of how much better Leicester's system was than ours. We had Jeff at holding midfield and Michael Keane at centre-half - they were both ripped to shreds. Then you have to take into account the fact that Leicester traditionally do us over due to the one sided rivalry. We did the double over a Leeds team that finished 7th… we finished 19th.

46 minutes ago, CumbrianRam said:

2016 no player AT ALL signed, not even youth ones what is going on!

FFP

were so close to failing or have already failed and we're having to stop spending. We don't to admit though because we've been ripping forest about it for about 18 months

Archived