Barnsley vs Derby County

Warren Hobhead

He's obviously picking players on what he has seen first hand in training rather than past reputations. Hughes was pretty poor in mid week so Pearson is trying to give him a kick up the backside. I wouldn't worry too much because he did the same with Mahrez and in the long run it made him a better player.

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, TheDeadlySaul said:

because he is our best player by a long shot

To us, based on a mean of the last few years. If he hasn't shown that to Pearson, how would Pearson justify playing him?

"You've been mediocre at best when you've played, you've been mediocre in training (bold is speculation to make the point) but the fans tell me you're our best player so I'll play in front of these lads who've performed better in front of me." 

Sith Happens
2 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

It's easy for us to have this opinion of Hughes but he's been poor when he's played for Pearson, so why would Pearson keep starting him if he isn't being stunning in training? 

I thought Hughes did alright when he came on last week

1 minute ago, YouRams said:

Not claiming to be ITK but I've heard through a chance conversation with someone connected to the club Hughes has attracted interest from one of the top four. Wouldn't surprise me if its true with him not starting again. 

It would be hugely surprising if Will hadn't attracted interest from the top four! 

Sith Happens
Just now, SaintRam said:

But was poor against Grimsby 

No he didn't do well. That said both bent and Blackman were both poor too.

Sith Happens
3 minutes ago, BuckoBeast said:

Get behind the lads ffs

Agree, doesn't mean people can't discuss the selection. Personally surprised but hopefully we get a win, with the players we have named we should be able to.

Just now, Paul71 said:

Agree, doesn't mean people can't discuss the selection. Personally surprised but hopefully we get a win, with the players we have named we should be able to.

I understand being disappointed about Hughes. He's so talented. However what can fans do about the team selection now, just get behind the boys. There will be around 4,000 here and we have to cheer them to victory 

3 minutes ago, North_Stand_Ram said:

Hughes was poor on Tuesday. Bryson was better. 

The problem was, with Hughes playing as the more advanced of 2 central midfielders, the back 4 and Bryson were always behind him, and the four strikers were pushed far forward beyond him, so for vast chunks of the match, he had no one close to him to pass to.  So he was either having to pass sideways/backwards or force a pass that wasn't on.  If Pearson is desperate to have his players smash the ball forwards as quickly as possible, there's no point having Hughes in the team, and no point having Martin/Bent/Blackman etc in the team either.  I'm honestly not sure it even suits the likes of Forestieri and Wells.

4 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Ditto that, here to shout my head off and get behind starting 11. 

Hughes an head scratcher though.

Sith Happens
2 minutes ago, BuckoBeast said:

I understand being disappointed about Hughes. He's so talented. However what can fans do about the team selection now, just get behind the boys. There will be around 4,000 here and we have to cheer them to victory 

I agree. It wouldn't be football if don't discuss though. I believe in Pearson so I have no doubt he knows what he is doing. 

Archived