POLL: Supermanagers; who is better?

Mostyn6

Who is the better manager?  

116 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

13 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

No he didn't... Chelsea won the league 18 months ago.

Besides Chelsea's side is a lot mor suited to Conte's style and the system they play.

Guardiola is one of the best managers in the world. That's a fact, End of.

I could easily have done as well as Guardiola today. He ain't that great.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

No he didn't... Chelsea won the league 18 months ago.

Besides Chelsea's side is a lot mor suited to Conte's style and the system they play.

Guardiola is one of the best managers in the world. That's a fact, End of.

He says with his fingers firmly jammed in his ears shouting "LA LA LA NOT LISTENING NOT LISTENING"

It's not a fact. It's an opinion. An opinion I happen to agree with, but try not to sound like a toddler stamping his feet in a tantrum in future. Doesn't help your case.

18 minutes ago, Tombo said:

He says with his fingers firmly jammed in his ears shouting "LA LA LA NOT LISTENING NOT LISTENING"

It's not a fact. It's an opinion. An opinion I happen to agree with, but try not to sound like a toddler stamping his feet in a tantrum in future. Doesn't help your case.

If you read Mostyn's post earlier, I was simply responding in similar ilk.

Though it's hardly just an opinion is it? Only a moron would suggest Guardiola isn't one of the best managers in the game currently. It would be like saying Cristiano Ronaldo isn't one of the best strikers currently in the game.

You don't win something like 21 trophies in seven seasons if you're not one of the best.

58 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

So just to get this straight Guardiola is a brilliant manager but should not be judged until he has been given an open cheque book?

If he's so great he would have the players at his disposal romping this league.

You keep saying this, but it's ridiculous.

Guardiola took over an ageing side who finished 4th (on the last day) with 66 points and now you suddenly expect him with the same side to finish some 25 points better off without spending?

City's aim is long-term success. In order to achieve long-term success, you have to invest in players for the long haul like has has done with Sane, Stones and Gundogan.

Guardiola should be judged when he has the sort of team he wants to work with. Right now City are well off having that sort of team. They're miles behind the likes of Bayern, Real, Barca etc. in terms of player ability.

I'd even say Arsenal have a better squad than City. 

It took five years for Fergie to make a difference at Man Utd....

28 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Guardiola took over an ageing side who finished 4th (on the last day) with 66 points and now you suddenly expect him with the same side to finish some 25 points better off without spending?

City's aim is long-term success. In order to achieve long-term success, you have to invest in players for the long haul like has has done with Sane, Stones and Gundogan.

If he's this Super Manager you make him out to be and after spending about £100m yes I would expect him to do that.

1 hour ago, Tombo said:

It may be an opinion but the facts show he is one of the best if you look at his overall win rate and trophy cabinet.

8 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Every top manager out there have spent a lot at one point or another in their career

Yes but when you are taking over a team that already has a lot of world class players then you shouldn't really need to spend such amounts if you are a supposed Super Manager.

Basically all that tells me is that you feel the need to spend vast amounts of money on players that are up there with the best in the world, rather than managing what you already have and getting the best out of them.

He's a great manager but he's hardly done it in the most challenging of circumstances.

Wenger for instance has had his team playing attractive football for years, bringing through players that people had not heard of and selling them on to fund New purchases and pay for a new ground.

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yes but when you are taking over a team that already has a lot of world class players then you shouldn't really need to spend such amounts if you are a supposed Super Manager.

Basically all that tells me is that you feel the need to spend vast amounts of money on players that are up there with the best in the world, rather than managing what you already have and getting the best out of them.

He's a great manager but he's hardly done it in the most challenging of circumstances.

Wenger for instance has had his team playing attractive football for years, bringing through players that people had not heard of and selling them on to fund New purchases and pay for a new ground.

City only have 2 world class players in my opinion: Aguero(who doesn't suit Guardiolas pressing like Lewandowski did) and De Bruyne. It's going to take some time for Guardiola to change the city team. They're full of a lot of average players on big bucks. Guardiola a biggest strength is his coaching, you can only coach certain players so much. I don't think Guardiola was given enough credit for his work as the Bayern manager. He made them intense in every single game but they look a shadow of that team under the current boss Ancelotti (another great manager) and currently trail in the bundesliga to a newly promoted team. I don't think Wenger is the best of examples, whilst he has played good football, he hasn't won anywhere close to what Guardiola has won in recent years

6 minutes ago, McLovin said:

If Guardiola just went out and bought Messi or a Neymar, I'd agree with you to some extent G Star but he has bought players for the future who he can develop , the likes of stones,sane,gabriel Jesus 

So he spends as much on players to develop as some Premier League managers spend on their whole squads..

9 minutes ago, McLovin said:

City only have 2 world class players in my opinion: Aguero(who doesn't suit Guardiolas pressing like Lewandowski did) and De Bruyne. It's going to take some time for Guardiola to change the city team. They're full of a lot of average players on big bucks. Guardiola a biggest strength is his coaching, you can only coach certain players so much. I don't think Guardiola was given enough credit for his work as the Bayern manager. He made them intense in every single game but they look a shadow of that team under the current boss Ancelotti (another great manager) and currently trail in the bundesliga to a newly promoted team. I don't think Wenger is the best of examples, whilst he has played good football, he hasn't won anywhere close to what Guardiola has won in recent years

I think Wenger is a perfect example of a manager who has built a team to challenge for things without doing it on borrowed money.

51 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

If he's this Super Manager you make him out to be and after spending about £100m yes I would expect him to do that.

Ok first things first, let's not use the term 'Super Manager' because your definition of a super manager doesn't exist, never has done and never will do.

There is not a single manager past, present or future that will win the equivalent of a competitive top division in one of the so-called 'big leagues' every season without spending £100m.

Clough couldn't do it, neither could Shankley, SAF, Wenger or anybody else.

Let's just agree that Guardiola is a brilliant manager and one of the best currently in the game. Anybody denying this is frankly a moron and doesn't know his arse from his elbow.

It will be tough for Guardola to win the league with City this season. He doesn't have the best squad of players, and a number of those at his disposal aren't able to play the way he wants them to.

Somebody might be able to do better than him this season with the same set of players, somebody like Simeone or Mourinho who will set up to play defensive, solid football.

But City didn't bring Guardiola to the PL to do that. They brought him to revolutionise the English game and bring success to City that no other manager has done before him. Expecting him to do that after 5 months is moronic.

City have a long-term project. Not a short-term one.

1 minute ago, Bris Vegas said:

Ok first things first, let's not use the term 'Super Manager' because your definition of a super manager doesn't exist, never has done and never will do.

There is not a single manager past, present or future that will win the equivalent of a competitive top division in one of the so-called 'big leagues' every season without spending £100m.

Clough couldn't do it, neither could Shankley, SAF, Wenger or anybody else.

Let's just agree that Guardiola is a brilliant manager and one of the best currently in the game. Anybody denying this is frankly a moron and doesn't know his arse from his elbow.

It will be tough for Guardola to win the league with City. He doesn't have the best squad of players, and a number of those at his disposal aren't able to play the way he wants them to.

Somebody might be able to do better than him this season with the same set of players, somebody like Simeone or Mourinho who will set up to play defensive, solid football.

But City didn't bring Guardiola to the PL to do that. They brought him to revolutionise the English game and bring success to City that no other manager has done before him. Expecting him to do that after 5 months is moronic.

I could refer you to your comments on Pearson after 9 games but I actually agreed what you was saying about him. 

Given all of the fanfare and hype surrounding Pep's arrival in English football, I don't think he has made the spectacular start many were expecting.

Of course, there is a long way to go yet and you can't judge a manager on one season and one season alone. These things take time and understanding. But the way football fans and the press have talked about Pep over the past year, he's been put on the mightiest of pedestals and given deity-like status. 

If anything, I've been more impressed with Klopp's progress at Liverpool and Conte's transformation of Chelsea. Chelsea, in particular, look a completely different beast to that of 12 months ago. How Conte has been able to almost seamlessly transition into a 3-4-3/5-4-1 formation with such success shows that we are dealing with a manager with a clear vision and the man-managerial skills to get the players to buy into his vision. Hazard and Costa look back to their barnstorming best, Pedro and Victor Moses are now first-team regulars and performing consistently, and David Luiz and Marcos Alonso look to be as far away from panic buys as you can imagine.

To win eight in a row and 11 out of 14 league games means nothing at this stage. But it goes to show that it's not all about Pep and the Premier League is blessed with some very talented managers, some of whom are outshining Pep.

2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Guardiola took over an ageing side who finished 4th (on the last day) with 66 points and now you suddenly expect him with the same side to finish some 25 points better off without spending

Come on he spent the most in the transfer window this season!!!

Archived