Nick Blackman despite being sick all week was a real positive for Derby

Curtains

The positives: Did well in beating his man on the outside, he does have a burst of pace and their defender was (initially) expecting him to cut inside every time, but he attempted to mix it up a little.

The negative: He has little to no quality on his right foot, so was unable to make the most of the positions he found himself in. Going on the outside forces him too wide, leaving him in no position to have a shot at goal (most of his goals came from cutting in and hitting it with his left)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like Blackman's attitude and I thought he did very well yesterday and created a very good chance for Ince which he should have scored. Looked a much better player than what we were seeing last season when he was getting the odd game here and there.

There were moments when he looked silky smooth and positive on the ball and then he'd get all hesitant .. Maybe just that poor right foot, but also because he has a distinctive long strided lope which makes him look as if he's cruising rather than JR's terrier like high revving pins. .. The sickness explains why he dropped off quickly as the game progressed. 

Was the best player for the first 15 minutes.

best his fullback on the outside and created a really good chance for Ince (should have scored) in the first 3 minutes. Would have been a different game.

i feel sorry for a few of our players in the squad.

he had beat the fullback on three occasions and then had a moment where the ball got stuck under his feet and he got easily tackled, the groans and moans were audible and you could see his shoulders drop. Next time he got the ball he played it simple and got screamed at by Christie.

i honestly feel that if you could offer players a way out of Derby at the moment they would snap your hand off. I'm thinking Blackman, Ince, Johnson, keogh, Baird would all jump at the chance for a move away and to be honest I wouldn't blame them at all.

yes they have dramatically underperformed, but my word we know how to make players feel 10 feet tall don't we.

just wait until we get rid of Blackman and he starts playing well for his new club....... "Should never have sold him"......

shame really

PistoldPete2
2 hours ago, Sparkle said:

He wasn't in my opinion 

His ball retention was better. His end product was no better than russell. When he ran out of steam I was surprised russell didn't come on... We lacked width especially on the left, but after Blackman went off we had no had no width on the right apart from christie overlapping. 

24 minutes ago, KBB said:

he had beat the fullback on three occasions and then had a moment where the ball got stuck under his feet and he got easily tackled, the groans and moans were audible and you could see his shoulders drop. Next time he got the ball he played it simple and got screamed at by Christie

Was going to post this but you saved me the effort. Good observation.

I'm all for supporting our players. I want to make them feel 'ten feet tall' as another poster put it. There are very few players that have worn the Derby shirt that have been deserving of my contempt while they wear it. 

Nick Blackman is CERTAINLY NOT one of them. I don't dislike him. I like him. I like the vast majority of players who pull on the Derby shirt and play the game for us.

But they're not babies. I'm sure Nick can take some criticism. I don't like the way his work rate drops when he's having a bad game. Take a leaf out of Chrissy Martin's book - have a moan, then get pissed off and work twice as hard! Respect from the fans is earned. I know he's not played a lot and when he has it hasn't been the best utilisation of his talents, but he's yet to score a competitive goal for us. Its got to be better, and Nick knows it.

Its no good praising 'looking dangerous' or 'looking better'. He's not a schoolchild who is improving his handwriting - "well done, you're improving! Have a sticker!" We're looking for him to make a difference. We especially look for this in forward players. Don't just look the part, you need to BE that dangerous. Not even necessarily goals or assists, but positively contribute to the attacking plays.

So I feel no guilt saying he was pants yesterday. Complete and utter pants. It gives me no pleasure to say that either for what it's worth, unlike some people who love it when a player they've targeted for their ire has a poor game.

Prove them wrong Nick. But don't expect it to happen by magic. 

1 hour ago, KBB said:

Was the best player for the first 15 minutes.

best his fullback on the outside and created a really good chance for Ince (should have scored) in the first 3 minutes. Would have been a different game.

i feel sorry for a few of our players in the squad.

he had beat the fullback on three occasions and then had a moment where the ball got stuck under his feet and he got easily tackled, the groans and moans were audible and you could see his shoulders drop. Next time he got the ball he played it simple and got screamed at by Christie.

i honestly feel that if you could offer players a way out of Derby at the moment they would snap your hand off. I'm thinking Blackman, Ince, Johnson, keogh, Baird would all jump at the chance for a move away and to be honest I wouldn't blame them at all.

yes they have dramatically underperformed, but my word we know how to make players feel 10 feet tall don't we.

just wait until we get rid of Blackman and he starts playing well for his new club....... "Should never have sold him"......

shame really

Keogh would definitely jump at the chance to leave, but knowing Keogh he'd probably overcommit to the jump and end up landing in North Korea!

Sorry! I just couldn't resist :D;)

I thought he was one of our better players. Looked like the fans didn't give him any boos or ironic cheers either after his performance. Wish he was right footed though the amount of times he had to cut back on his left foot so to speak and let them get back in position again was frustrating.

On ‎07‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 13:33, RoyMac5 said:

That's apparently cos the fans moaned and groaned at him, poor love.

Not fans - imbeciles.

Archived