Derby County v Brighton

Jimbo Ram

• Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't Pearson a long exponent of a classic 4-3-3 which can quickly convert to 4-4-2 by drawing the winger (Knockaert when he played for Leicester) deeper? I think this system (also employed by Capello) is the best tactical formation (bar none) but it depends on the players and opponents.

Hughton is a long term exponent of 4-4-2 which is more like 4-2-4  for Brighton. The two central midfielders get over-worked. 

Derby (surfeit of midfielders) v Brighton (surfeit of wingers). 

I don't think the fixtures should have put what could be the Championship decider as the first match of the season. 

53 minutes ago, Perseus said:

Isn't Pearson a long exponent of a classic 4-3-3 which can quickly convert to 4-4-2 by drawing the winger (Knockaert when he played for Leicester) deeper? I think this system (also employed by Capello) is the best tactical formation (bar none) but it depends on the players and opponents.

Hughton is a long term exponent of 4-4-2 which is more like 4-2-4  for Brighton. The two central midfielders get over-worked. 

Derby (surfeit of midfielders) v Brighton (surfeit of wingers). 

I don't think the fixtures should have put what could be the Championship decider as the first match of the season. 

We haven't seen this at Derby, at least not in preseason.

We've been playing mostly a 4-4-1-1 (Ince behind Bent), with a 4-4-2 as a plan B.

I have a good feeling about this one I dont think the result will be spectacular but I think we will be effective.

Lineup:

Carson

Christie  Keogh   Shackell   Forsyth

Blackman Hendrick Hughes Russell

Ince

Bent

21 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

We haven't seen this at Derby, at least not in preseason.

We've been playing mostly a 4-4-1-1 (Ince behind Bent), with a 4-4-2 as a plan B.

Virtually every Champiosnhip  club played 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 (better) last season, except a few, Boro, QPR played the more defensive 4-2-3-1. Any team that breaks the mould might spring a few surprise results. 4-3-3 can change to 4-42 so quickly that it might not matter that much. Playing 4-2-3-1 at home like Boro last season didn't deserve to get promoted. 

Stockdale

Rosenior Bruno Dunk Bong

Knockaert Sidwell Kayal Murphy

Hemed Baldock

Subs: Maenpaa, White, Ince, Holla, LuaLua, Skalak, Murray.

That would probably be my team for Saturday assuming there are no reinforcements this week. Stephens will be a big miss and strange having Bruno at centre back although he looked decent against Lazio in that position yesterday.

6 minutes ago, SimonBHA said:

Stockdale

Rosenior Bruno Dunk Bong

Hemed Baldock

That would probably be my team for Saturday assuming there are no reinforcements this week. Stephens will be a big miss and strange having Bruno at centre back although he looked decent against Lazio in that position yesterday.

I'd play Ince. He always seems to be a beast against us.

Fortunately for us Stephens will be a big miss for Brighton on Saturday. From what I saw last season his partnership with Kayal in the midfield was probably the best in the Championship. Sidwell although experienced is not the same threat & is often very inconsistent unlike Stephens.

2 hours ago, Srg said:

I'd play Ince. He always seems to be a beast against us.

He's better in a midfield 3 really, physically commanding but not the best technically. Think it was his sloppy back pass that led to you winning that last minute penalty to equalise against us last season.

2 hours ago, SimonBHA said:

Stockdale

Rosenior Bruno Dunk Bong

Hemed Baldock

How are you expecting to get on this season mate? do you think you can replicate last season or even maybe even go one better? 

16 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Is this the official match thread? Might as well be but we probably need some sort of indication in titles or at least pinning for the new season.

I'm concerned Hughes didn't start against the Germans and might havve been played out of position in pre-season. Bent has scored three in three so has to start with the shirt. We're surely going to play 4-4-1-1. On the Brighton board they're expecting a draw or a narrow Rams' win. We've some tough opening games and it's oh so important to capitalize on home advantage in the games against our promotion rivals (of whom Brighton will be one). I'm not saying I agree with it but I suspect the starting 11 is going to be:

Carson

Christie     Keogh     Shackell     Forsyth

Blackman   Hendrick     Johnson     Hughes

Ince

Bent

Subs: Grant Pearce Baird Bryson Weimann Martin Russell

Guessing Butterfield and Olsson will be deemed unfit for this one. Despite moving several on we've still a massive squad. I still expect Hendrick to be sold before the end of the window, but if Pearson wants to have any chance of keeping him then he has no choice but to start him. Blackman played 90 minutes in the last friendly so I think he has the nod. We would have an embarrassment of midfield riches on the bench or not even making the bench.

Cs - Swap Hughes and Johnson position-wise and I think you've nailed the Saturday side. I just hope he starts Bryson over Hendrick. Then it's our best side. 

31 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Hendrick over Bryson for me.....

I don't know enough about their team to call that one. I've aLways felt Bryson and his 100% energy works well .. He has real bite against certain players but Hendrick when he runs at them with the ball in the final third can make a real difference. Just depends who their opposite numbers are on the day.  Interesting one !

9 minutes ago, jono said:

I don't know enough about their team to call that one. I've aLways felt Bryson and his 100% energy works well .. He has real bite against certain players but Hendrick when he runs at them with the ball in the final third can make a real difference. Just depends who their opposite numbers are on the day.  Interesting one !

interesting jono, and I'd agree that Hendrick can slice and dice, but I think we have Ince and Hughes (and even Blackman) for that. If we are 2 in the middle and one isn't Johnson I think Bryson has to be in there for the bite that you reference ! 

I reckon you're right. i really liked Johnson when he came. We had lacked genuine in your face aggression in the middle. Bryson and Hendrick both were raiding and in certain games if that didn't come off then the DM lacked support. So yes, of the two Bryson has more terrier about him. 

1 hour ago, Ninos said:

interesting jono, and I'd agree that Hendrick can slice and dice, but I think we have Ince and Hughes (and even Blackman) for that. If we are 2 in the middle and one isn't Johnson I think Bryson has to be in there for the bite that you reference ! 

Harking back a bit I know but I always think of the Roy Keane roll in midfield for ManU ., or Vierra, or Makale .. The one who's tough and can play it simple 

If I was a manager, I'd have wanted one more training game just to try something bit different.

Like Hughes as a CM, Ince on the wing and Martin as a number 10 with Bent up front. But there's maybe too much creativity for Pearson so why bother.

I wouldn't even play with 4-4-1-1 but I'm trying to make some kind of starting line up with it..

Usual back 5.

Blackman-Johnson-Hughes-Weimann

Ince

Bent

Carson

Christie Keogh Shacks Olsson 

Weimann Hughes Hendrick Blackman

Ince

Bent 

I'd love us to go this route and finally find another system that doesn't rely on two players.. Bents been scoring a few and Blackman despite only looking ok so far looks to be up for it and deserves a chance. 

ince and bent could score freely in this league imo

When everyone is fit,  :thumbsup:    Is this still the dream team ???????

Carson

Christie   Keogh   shackell   forsythe

Thorne

Bryson   Hughs   Hendrick

Ince

Martin

Archived