21 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Carson
                      Christie     Keogh(C)  Pearce     Forsyth
                      Russell    Hughes  Hendrick*    Weimann
                                             Ince
                                           Martin

Bench: Grant, Baird, Bryson*, Blackman, Butterfield, Olsson, Bent

Honorable mention: Max Lowe

Pearce has quietly impressed me in preseason, looks solid and composed, bit more mobile than Shackell, probably due to age.

Lowe - could his breakthrough come as a LW rather than LB? That was his original position, IIRC, similar to Fozzy.

Gut says Hendrick will be gone. Not ITK, just a hunch.

I understand your reasoning for having Pearce in the first team but I'm surprised Shackell isn't even in your squad lol

• Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Hughes played there for about 15 minutes of the Walsall game. Suspect that was just to get him on the pitch. Hendrick has only played in the middle. 

Of the CMs, only Johnson can play out wide - but that's the wrong side. Quite why you'd shoehorn one of those in there when either Ince, Blackman or Russell can all play there to some effect, is beyond me.

Ince proving though he is strongest in the 10 position and plays well with Bent

Just now, Animal is a Ram said:

Doesn't cover any other positions, whereas Baird does. 

Hmm.

If you're bringing him on for another defensive position Keogh and Pearce (RB and LB) can though, and I think the quality difference between Shackell and Baird far outweighs the versatility when I genuinely think playing other first teamers out of their favoured spot to one theyre comfortable in with Shackell in D makes us far stronger overall.

If it's a midfielder (eg Thorne) who needs replacing I think utilising one of the midfield subs and having a Hendrick/Hughes etc. in that defensive role for a less than a game is still, imo, better than Baird (from what I've seen of him).

If we go 4-4-1 like in pre season 

Carson 

Christie keogh  shackell  Olsson 

Hendrick   Hughes(c)

Blackman                          Russell

Ince 

Martin 

2 hours ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

What the hell is that formation and why is everyone out of position?

I will space it out for you....

Carson

Keogh Shackell Forsyth

Christie,         Baid,                   Olson

Ince,            Hughes

Bent, Martin

Ooops trying again so people do not think I mean Carson is going to be standing on our own corner

Carson

Keogh Shackell Forsyth

Christie,         Baid,                   Olson

Ince,            Hughes

Bent, Martin

58 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

Why people wouldn't have Martin in their starting XI is beyond me. These will be the same people pushing for us to sign a 20 goal striker. Brain donors. 

My reasoning is because players should be picked on form rather than reputation. Martin was poor at the end of last season and Bent wasn't given his chance then. I know pre season doesn't mean anything but Bent has scored 2 in his 2 games and has looked quite sharp and looks very fit I must add. Ince also plays a lot better with Bent in the side than Martin has they have a telepathic understanding whereas Ince and Martin haven't got that(yet). The slate is clean for all the players under the new manager which is how it should be. Past glories shouldn't be really looked at in the new season for me. 

Carson 

Christie  Keogh Shackell  Olsson 

Johnson   

Butterfield Bryson Hughes

Ince* Martin

Width from the full backs. Johnson holding (until GT is fit). Butters and Will slightly wide of centre but able to roam. Bryson box to box. Ince can drop in behind CM, can go wide left and right helping us to dominate midfield, but ideally alongside CM mainly as that will mean Will, Bryson and Butters are killing it behind. 

4-1-3-2. Can be a 4-1-4-1. 

I know absolutely nothing about football tactics. Bit of a disclaimer there. And I'm the first person to select Butters. Obviously. 

1 hour ago, ollycutts1982 said:

Why people wouldn't have Martin in their starting XI is beyond me. These will be the same people pushing for us to sign a 20 goal striker. Brain donors. 

The same people who are picking Hendrick (2 goals from midfield) over Butters (9 goals from midfield) despite having eyes in their heads last season..?

Game of opinions, brother. Opinions game. 

Carson
 Christie      Keogh       Pearce/Shackell   Forsyth

Blackman   Elsnik :ph34r:          Hughes        Weimann

Ince

Bent/Martin

Carson

Christie          Keogh          Shackell          Forsyth

Blackman         Hendrick         Hughes          Russell

Ince

Martin

Would like to see us bring in the following:

- CB (James Chester would be ideal). Im a Keogh and Shackell fan, but I believe Chester would be an improvement on both and create healthy competition for places.

- Wide Player - Need a top quality wide player. Bakary Sako from Palace would be my target. Proven class act at this level and can't see him being first choice at Palace.

- Striker - Need a top class striker with pace to give us another option to push alongside Martin in games. Obviously missed out on Andre Gray last year, but someone in that mould would be ideal. Kodjia, Wells are ones I would be happy with. Still believe we should have gone in for Dwight Gayle last year when he was available.

It would be interesting to know what forum fans would name as the best eleven from a mixture of Derby & Brighton players.

Brighton must have been Live on Sky as much as we were last season, & with very little changes to their squad this season it would be interesting to know what people's combined best eleven would be ?.

Mind would be : 

Carson

Bruno

Christie

Dunk

Shackell

Kayal

Hughes

Knockeart

Martin or Hemed

Murray

Ince

Subs : Martin or Hemed, Keogh, Stephens, Butterfield or Hendrick, Forsyth, Lua Lua, Stockdale

Any other suggestions ?.

Archived