Round pegs in Round holes

RiddingsRam

Last season I thought a lot of players were played out of position. 

If we went into the season with the current squad (Which personally I wouldn't have a problem with ) what formation would suit ? 

Personally I think more of a 4 4 2 diamond as we're strong in the central midfield areas but don't really have any proper wingers . 

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still can't see past the McClarenesque 433, or variations. Hopefully Pearson has the vision to craft a better side out of us somehow.

1 minute ago, needles said:

Still can't see past the McClarenesque 433, or variations. Hopefully Pearson has the vision to craft a better side out of us somehow.

I think we were trying to hard to play 4 3 3 last year , it never really looked natural , but no one seemed to know any different . 

The problem with her 4 3 3 is it relies so heavily on the defensive midfield and centre forward roles to work properly, if we don't have a set player to fit them 2 roles the rest of the team suffers .

Agree...just stumped for a better idea. The 343 TBE used play would be interesting, but then you need a ball playing sweeper who becomes just as important as the roles you mention in the 433. Keogh?

Can see Martin as a more advanced Ron Willems type (but better), or Ince as the deeper lying forward, with Blackman, Bent, Weimann competing for the Gabbiadini/Studge roles.

Not sure you'd get the best of Thorne in that set up. Fozzy and Cyrus could well play wing back. 

I'm limited by my imagination and what I'm familiar with. Pearson won't be.

22 minutes ago, needles said:

Agree...just stumped for a better idea. The 343 TBE used play would be interesting, but then you need a ball playing sweeper who becomes just as important as the roles you mention in the 433. Keogh?

Can see Martin as a more advanced Ron Willems type (but better), or Ince as the deeper lying forward, with Blackman, Bent, Weimann competing for the Gabbiadini/Studge roles.

Not sure you'd get the best of Thorne in that set up. Fozzy and Cyrus could well play wing back. 

I'm limited by my imagination and what I'm familiar with. Pearson won't be.

I'm a bit too young to remember Jim Smiths tactical genius , I was only about 10 in those days and my tactical knowledge went as far defenders , midfielders and strikers! Who played the sweeper role then ? Stimac? 

I'm pretty sure we will see quite a few tactics used this season. For example against Setubal we defended flat 5-4-1 and attacked  with 3-5-2. If we play with two CB's, it could easily change to 4-5-1 when defending and lots of varieties when attacking. So it would be easier to forget round holes and be prepared for tactical switches....

9 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

I'm a bit too young to remember Jim Smiths tactical genius , I was only about 10 in those days and my tactical knowledge went as far defenders , midfielders and strikers! Who played the sweeper role then ? Stimac? 

Yup.

Back 3 was yates rowett and stimac.

My recollection was that as soon as we got promoted we went 4 at the back with laursen and chrissy powell alongside 2 cbs. 

56 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

I think we were trying to hard to play 4 3 3 last year , it never really looked natural , but no one seemed to know any different . 

The problem with her 4 3 3 is it relies so heavily on the defensive midfield and centre forward roles to work properly, if we don't have a set player to fit them 2 roles the rest of the team suffers .

That's a really good point .. Mind you we have Camara on the left so all we need is a decent natural right winger 

no really fixated on this but your post is excellent and interesting .. Play players where they work and are comfortable and you'll get the best from them

1 minute ago, jono said:

That's a really good point .. Mind you we have Camara on the left so all we need is a decent natural right winger 

no really fixated on this but your post is excellent and interesting .. Play players where they work and are comfortable and you'll get the best from them

Camara's another player who could really flourish under NP depending on how we play , but he certainly has the pace that seems to suit how I perceive NP will set us up regardless of shape. Camara would probably suit a more flat 4 4 2 playing as a traditional winger. 

We've got the personnel to play 4 2 3 1 but ultimately Pearson wants results and see's the players day in day out with a far more educated eye than me so he'll either play a system he thinks will work best or he'll gradually rebuild and put a side together that will play his preferred systems.

I also think that he's not interested in popular decisions. Once he's figured the squad out and worked out what it's going to take to get promotion, if he thinks it's for the greater good and the price is right I think he'd sell anyone as long as he gets to reinvest.

I have far more faith in Pearson's decision making than most of our managers since Jim Smith though, so I'm pretty comfortable about enjoying the ride...

18 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Yup.

My recollection was that as soon as we got promoted we went 4 at the back with laursen and chrissy powell alongside 2 cbs. 

Only for the first season I think...then Laursen moved inside to play as the RCB...

18 hours ago, RiddingsRam said:

18 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Yup.

4 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Only for the first season I think...then Laursen moved inside to play as the RCB...

To start off with we had Igor and McGrath with Dailly, Yates, Carbon, Rowett and Laursen all playing in the back 3 with the latter 2 also filling in at RWB and Chrissy Powell at LWB.

8 hours ago, rynny said:

To start off with we had Igor and McGrath with Dailly, Yates, Carbon, Rowett and Laursen all playing in the back 3 with the latter 2 also filling in at RWB and Chrissy Powell at LWB.

Carbon was very much the reserve stand in.

Saw him at chelsea and thought we were 4 at the back then. He was craposted and gave up a pen.

But it is nearly 20 years ago. 

For me, it's a mental formation that looks something like:

Carson

Keogh     Shackell      Forsyth

Christie                                                   Olsson

Thorne

Hughes

Ince                          JB

Martin

Christie and Olsson supply the width.

Ince and Butterfield on the edge of the box as often as possible, more narrow than usually as that's where they're strongest. 

Hughes just behind as he's our best player at getting the ball from the middle of the park into the final third with the most creativity. Thorne just behind as he can play the cutting passes into the final third, whilst keeping a steady back line.

Keogh, Shackell and Forsyth, all of which are excellently defensively, make us look incredibly difficult to break down at the back. 

I think it'd take hours and hours of training ground work to make this come off, so I wouldn't advise just throwing it all together and hoping for the best, but I think it'd work. 

9 hours ago, rynny said:

That's a back eight.  Missed that game................;)

On Thursday, July 21, 2016 at 20:02, RiddingsRam said:

Poor you.... missed it all.... best years of my footballing life under jimbo.. p.s. we shud never have sold our ace or hero igor

On 21 July 2016 at 20:10, HantsRam said:

Yup.

Not sure that is corect.

My thoughts were that we had Dailly Stimac and McGrath/Rowett as centre backs with Delap/Laursen and Powell as wing backs.

we didn't convert to 4 at the back until much later after Carbonari came and went.

You've forgotton the Hard man / 'bit of rough' who replaced Rowett ? as RCB and had an affair with Laursen's wife and visibly  made life so uncomfortable for Laursen on the pitch that he gave up the captaincy , sent his wife and children back home and eventually followed her. The Hard guy went to Man City??and did similar things there!! Eventually finished up at Southend via Cardiff and now lives in OZ and is used as a pundit by Talksport.

What WAS his name ???

Archived