Old boys in today's market

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well Toddy was a British record cash signing in 1971 at £170k, Martin Peters supposedly higher at £120k plus Jimmy Greaves valued at £80k. So Raheem Sterling (WTF) I mean really?? Colin Todd wouldn't even have bothered to put him in his back pocket, he would simply keep taking the ball off him for the fun of it, so by that measure, Colin Todd at £10m more than whatever City paid for Sterling.

10 hours ago, 1977 Ram Raider said:

With some of the crazy transfer fees going around these days it got me thinking. The likes of Sturridge, Wanchope, Eranio, Baiano etc, what would these boys fetch in today's market, and which player do you think would be most expensive.

Etc.    £76m

10 hours ago, Doodle said:

Just imagine how big Brian's brown paper bags would have to be to fit his share of these transfer fees in !!! 

you mean the ones that were never proven? Theres always one who makes a crap statement and will now come back with "I was joking" to make it okay.

1 hour ago, davenportram said:

you mean the ones that were never proven? Theres always one who makes a crap statement and will now come back with "I was joking" to make it okay.

I wasn't joking. A little flippant maybe. A true Derby legend without a doubt. But that doesn't mean you have to be blinkered to all aspects of his life. The practice of bungs was more commonplace back then and the only reason he wasn't charged with his part in it was due to his ill health after leaving the game. He was also allowed to pay back 600,000 in back payments to the inland revenue. I'm very sorry if the post offended you, it wasn't meant to and wasn't meant as a slur. A great manager without a doubt but like all of us not without some faults. 

5 hours ago, davenportram said:

Exactly.

The bags were green.

23 hours ago, Eatonram said:

Well Toddy was a British record cash signing in 1971 at £170k, Martin Peters supposedly higher at £120k plus Jimmy Greaves valued at £80k. So Raheem Sterling (WTF) I mean really?? Colin Todd wouldn't even have bothered to put him in his back pocket, he would simply keep taking the ball off him for the fun of it, so by that measure, Colin Todd at £10m more than whatever City paid for Sterling.

£170k in 1971 equates to £5.2m in 2016. Todd at 23 years of age, with several years experience but yet to play for England and joining from a recently relegated club would probably be about £12-15m in the current market.  Even if that's a conservative guess it shows the value of footballers has grown considerably faster than inflation.

3 hours ago, Rample said:

£170k in 1971 equates to £5.2m in 2016. Todd at 23 years of age, with several years experience but yet to play for England and joining from a recently relegated club would probably be about £12-15m in the current market.  Even if that's a conservative guess it shows the value of footballers has grown considerably faster than inflation.

I did a bit of analysis based on relative season ticket prices and reached a very similar number. 

For info I found a site that suggested a season ticket in 1970 -71 was about 10 quid whereas now they're 350 odd?

I think the distortion must be the TV money which would have been derisory in toddys day.

All this really proves is how "trickle up" economics works. Chuck more money into a system and unsurprisingly the main men line up to take more out in direct proportion. 

49 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

I did a bit of analysis based on relative season ticket prices and reached a very similar number. 

For info I found a site that suggested a season ticket in 1970 -71 was about 10 quid whereas now they're 350 odd?

I think the distortion must be the TV money which would have been derisory in toddys day.

All this really proves is how "trickle up" economics works. Chuck more money into a system and unsurprisingly the main men line up to take more out in direct proportion. 

My first season ticket was 18 quid, boys end. The toilet was literally a brick wall with a bit of a gulley at the bottom. You gets what you pay for

5 minutes ago, bigbadbob said:

My first season ticket was 18 quid, boys end. The toilet was literally a brick wall with a bit of a gulley at the bottom. You gets what you pay for

Toilets were still pretty much like that down the dingly dell until the local team moved to St Marys. 

Too true that the experience has changed out of all recognition in the decades I've been going. 

Sounds similar for you tho I'm guessing that I have just a couple of years on you :thumbsup:

3 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Toilets were still pretty much like that down the dingly dell until the local team moved to St Marys. 

Too true that the experience has changed out of all recognition in the decades I've been going. 

Sounds similar for you tho I'm guessing that I have just a couple of years on you :thumbsup:

I actually enjoyed the match day experience much more back then, more raw and real? Who knows maybe I'm looking through sepia tinted glasses. I'm 45 now. Up the ramps

1 hour ago, bigbadbob said:

I actually enjoyed the match day experience much more back then, more raw and real? Who knows maybe I'm looking through sepia tinted glasses. I'm 45 now. Up the ramps

So glad someone finally shares my passion, I f*ucking love them! This is my particular favourite:image.jpeg

Firm, solid, dependable and can attach to anything you want it to. Simply beautiful.

7 hours ago, BurtonRam7 said:

So glad someone finally shares my passion, I f*ucking love them! This is my particular favourite:image.jpeg

Firm, solid, dependable and can attach to anything you want it to. Simply beautiful.

You both share the same inclination?

Archived