Puny Englishmen Prepare To Be Smited

ramit

21 hours ago, ramit said:

It was the competition Europe's Strongest Man and Hafþór Björnsson had won it two years in a row, so it's only polite to allow the puny Englishman Laurence Shahlaei to claim the title this year, considering it's been 27 YEARS since the last time a puny Englishman was allowed to win it and Hafþór just couldn't face the prospect of watching a full grown puny Englishman crying over another failure and so as a true gracious huge Icelandic Viking magnanimous gesture he allowed little Larry the win and anyway Hafþór is saving his mountainous colossal strength for the real competition World's Strongest Man coming shortly.

We know how to lose in these parts as well as having mastered the fine art of linking to a webpage.  Just click on the linky thingy below and it will magically transport you to a page where you can read all about Larry's hilarious heroic Flintstone antics and even view a picture of him crying like a baby in sheer adorable puny Englishman fashion.  Yes yes, of course Hafþór was there to dry Larry's eyes with a tent sized handkerchief.  Hafþór what a Viking.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-36819042

Are you really an Icelander, dude?

Where do you live - here or there?

Loved the team's homecoming. Magic. A people united, just like we are denied by our own politicians......

Did you come here in a real Viking rowing boat by any chance?

Just joking Eric. No offense intended old bean.

PS. If you live in England it must be hell surrounded by us puny Anglo Saxon types.

PPS. Have you got a great big F.O beard too?

OOOOHHHHHH Matron. 

COYR!!!

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Robbie Ram said:

Are you really an Icelander, dude?

Where do you live - here or there?

Loved the team's homecoming. Magic. A people united, just like we are denied by our own politicians......

Did you come here in a real Viking rowing boat by any chance?

Just joking Eric. No offense intended old bean.

PS. If you live in England it must be hell surrounded by us puny Anglo Saxon types.

PPS. Have you got a great big F.O beard too?

OOOOHHHHHH Matron. 

COYR!!!

Oh i'm really an Icelander and live in Reykjavik or Rinky Dink as the English soldiers stationed here in WWII called it.

The homecoming was a special moment for all of us here, even those not previously into football.  It's something to do with being a very small old nation with a bit of an inferiority complex mixed with delusions of grandeur that created an exuberant and perhaps otherwise unwholesome atmosphere of nationalistic fervor that drove us into joyous unabashed extended delight of flag waving intoxicated delirium.  Even tourists got caught up in it, which to us was astounding, but just goes to show how naturally influenced and empathizing humans can be.  Our now famous commentator Gummi Ben summed up our feelings when the full time whistle blew after the England game, "Never wake me up from this crazy dream"

Not Eric though and not much of a viking and no beard either but i am tall at least

Yes i enjoy carry on films too 

Yes of course

COYR!

1 hour ago, archram said:

Follow on question,Ramit - you've probably told us before and I've missed it, but how did you come to support the mighty Rams?

In the first years of Icelandic TV one game from the English first division was shown on Saturdays a week after the game and those transmission became very popular and it seemed everyone had their favorite team, Arsenal, Man U, Leeds and Liverpool were the most popular.  It took me a while to decide upon which team i would support.  TV was in black and white and so blue shirts and red looked the same on the screen and i wanted to follow a team in a kit that stood out.  Initially it was between Leeds and Derby but i was leaning towards Derby because i didn't like the idea of supporting a team that was already very popular here and i liked the fast aggressive style of play from them, often scoring in the first few minutes of a game and i also liked the logo and the name.  When i recounted this time on the podcast i failed to mention the deciding factor, Brian Clough.  i really liked his swagger and outspoken style, he was controversial and undiplomatic and that combination appealed to me, so from 1970 onward i have been a fervent Derby County supporter, going through the highs and lows of being a Ram.

8 hours ago, ramit said:

Oh i'm really an Icelander and live in Reykjavik or Rinky Dink as the English soldiers stationed here in WWII called it.

The homecoming was a special moment for all of us here, even those not previously into football.  It's something to do with being a very small old nation with a bit of an inferiority complex mixed with delusions of grandeur that created an exuberant and perhaps otherwise unwholesome atmosphere of nationalistic fervor that drove us into joyous unabashed extended delight of flag waving intoxicated delirium.  Even tourists got caught up in it, which to us was astounding, but just goes to show how naturally influenced and empathizing humans can be.  Our now famous commentator Gummi Ben summed up our feelings when the full time whistle blew after the England game, "Never wake me up from this crazy dream"

Not Eric though and not much of a viking and no beard either but i am tall at least

Yes i enjoy carry on films too 

Yes of course

COYR!

Hiya Ramit.

Have just joined this motley crew.

Thank you for responding in good humour and with such genuine warmth.

You seem like a really great bloke, just like your team are full of, with your excellent dentist manager too.

I wish we could have "extracted" multimillionaire Hodgson and got him beforehand alas.

How refreshing to interact with somebody from outside the Anglosphere. Most everybody here so frigging PC tbh.

IMO Ramit, what your team embody in modern teamwork and good old fashioned fighting spirit is totally absent from the bunch of posers, daring to wear the three lions on their poxy polyester overtight " designer team shirts.

If possible I would like to see your guys kitted out like our resident Viking Jake Buxton, with basic black boots and shirt firmly tucked into shorts. Cropped hair and beards compulsory of course!!

I would love to visit your place and if we ever do get to meet, the milky bars are definitely on me. I hope it would be like stepping back in time, please god.  

PS. Take a look at my "Buxton" posts and let me know what you think dear chap. I would be very interested to know, as up to now most of the punters on here seem to think I a bit of a tool bag and way out of their conformist party line. 

1 hour ago, Robbie Ram said:

Hiya Ramit.

Have just joined this motley crew.

Thank you for responding in good humour and with such genuine warmth.

You seem like a really great bloke, just like your team are full of, with your excellent dentist manager too.

I wish we could have "extracted" multimillionaire Hodgson and got him beforehand alas.

How refreshing to interact with somebody from outside the Anglosphere. Most everybody here so frigging PC tbh.

IMO Ramit, what your team embody in modern teamwork and good old fashioned fighting spirit is totally absent from the bunch of posers, daring to wear the three lions on their poxy polyester overtight " designer team shirts.

If possible I would like to see your guys kitted out like our resident Viking Jake Buxton, with basic black boots and shirt firmly tucked into shorts. Cropped hair and beards compulsory of course!!

I would love to visit your place and if we ever do get to meet, the milky bars are definitely on me. I hope it would be like stepping back in time, please god.  

PS. Take a look at my "Buxton" posts and let me know what you think dear chap. I would be very interested to know, as up to now most of the punters on here seem to think I a bit of a tool bag and way out of their conformist party line. 

Welcome to the forum Robbie_Ram and thank you for the complimenting words towards me and Iceland in general.  The Icelandic nature is very harsh at times and unpredictable and that's had an effect on the resident character as well as the isolation of being situated far from the mainland.  We've learned to depend on ourselves and be adaptable and because we have no neighbors we got it into our heads that we can accomplish anything we truly want.  That's us pretty much summed up.  You should visit when you can and if you can get yourself a rental car to explore the countryside, but be advised it's a rather expensive place.

i read your input in the Buxton thread.  i am a huge Buxton fan, he is my favorite Derby player.  What he lacks in mobility he more than makes up for in resilience and fiery character. 

This forum takes a while to get the hang of.  When i came here one of my first actions was to get into a fight with Eddie, something i would heartily recommend avoiding at all costs.  i think i've learned how to best interact here, i avoid insulting anyone, never get personal and keep it lighthearted, but of course i do take the piss at times when the mood strikes me as i have often done on this thread, but it's all in good fun.  We have a large group of posters here with very varying opinions and i like that, but in the end we are all fellow Rams however much we tease each other at times.

Iain Macintosh asks after bravely watching the game again "Was England vs Iceland As Bad As People Said?"

Puny snippet:

"61 – This is so much worse on a second viewing. Rooney may as well be wearing a pair of Crocs for all the control he has over the ball. A slow, three yard pass from Wilshere bounces off the top of his foot and straight to Arnason."

https://wyscout.com/reviewing-game-england-vs-iceland-bad-people-said/

54 minutes ago, ramit said:

Iain Macintosh asks after bravely watching the game again "Was England vs Iceland As Bad As People Said?"

Puny snippet:

"61 – This is so much worse on a second viewing. Rooney may as well be wearing a pair of Crocs for all the control he has over the ball. A slow, three yard pass from Wilshere bounces off the top of his foot and straight to Arnason."

https://wyscout.com/reviewing-game-england-vs-iceland-bad-people-said/

Just you boys wait until we unveil Big Sam as the new head coach. He won't stand for no smiting! 

He'll be after revenge - a gut-barging challenge is on the cards. ......

1 hour ago, HantsRam said:

Just you boys wait until we unveil Big Sam as the new head coach. He won't stand for no smiting! 

He'll be after revenge - a gut-barging challenge is on the cards. ......

Hah we smite in your general direction puny Englishmen

But Big Sam you say?  You could do a heck of a lot worse, i wanted him for the job when Steve got it.  He will certainly fix any discipline issues and develop a certain style of play, not dissimilar to Iceland's way of playing.

Oh i get it now, it's the old if you can't beat them join them routine, well good on you, may he serve you well mate.

On ‎20‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 14:30, ramit said:

Welcome to the forum Robbie_Ram and thank you for the complimenting words towards me and Iceland in general.  The Icelandic nature is very harsh at times and unpredictable and that's had an effect on the resident character as well as the isolation of being situated far from the mainland.  We've learned to depend on ourselves and be adaptable and because we have no neighbors we got it into our heads that we can accomplish anything we truly want.  That's us pretty much summed up.  You should visit when you can and if you can get yourself a rental car to explore the countryside, but be advised it's a rather expensive place.

i read your input in the Buxton thread.  i am a huge Buxton fan, he is my favorite Derby player.  What he lacks in mobility he more than makes up for in resilience and fiery character. 

This forum takes a while to get the hang of.  When i came here one of my first actions was to get into a fight with Eddie, something i would heartily recommend avoiding at all costs.  i think i've learned how to best interact here, i avoid insulting anyone, never get personal and keep it lighthearted, but of course i do take the piss at times when the mood strikes me as i have often done on this thread, but it's all in good fun.  We have a large group of posters here with very varying opinions and i like that, but in the end we are all fellow Rams however much we tease each other at times.

Thanks so much Ramit.

What nice guy you are too.

Thank you also for endorsing my opinion about the Buckmeister.. To our diehard fans he is our spiritual link, Shankly style.

IMO team spirit wins out virtually every time over individual players, even when you are up against brilliant individuals. Remember CR moaning so much after he played you guys?

Buxton embodies exactly that and therefore what Derby have been lacking in the past three years. If fit, he should be a fixture in the side by now. But alas not.

If anybody wants to mock this, go ahead. 

This diehard mentality shafted the England team rotten in their  last Euro game.

Do you like being an England fan? No thought not.  

• 7 months later...
On 27/06/2016 at 21:22, rhysbeck said:

I'd love it if we took a look at their 23y/o defender Hordur (Bjorgvin?) Magnusson. Left footed, good on the ball. He plays for Juve but has spent the past two seasons out on loan at Cesena. I don't follow much Italian football though, so no idea whether Juve see him as a promising player to hold onto or whether they'd be open to clubs' interest. I'd ask @ramit for an opinion on the player but I'm pretty sure it'll be impossible to get any response for a week what with all the Iceland celebrations and partying! :lol: 

I just saw he scored today vs Ireland! pleased to see him doing well for himself. turned in some good performances at Bristol City as well

10 minutes ago, EastHertsRam said:

Well, you can even get a bit of foreplay in during halftime, that's a long break that is. ;)

Steady on you braggard.

15 mins ample time for formalities, execution and post activity cuddles/reassurance.*

*Delete as appropriate.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but years of training to the Match of the Day theme tune suggests not, rarely miss the 1st goal.

On 3/29/2017 at 20:57, reveldevil said:

Steady on you braggard.

15 mins ample time for formalities, execution and post activity cuddles/reassurance.*

*Delete as appropriate.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but years of training to the Match of the Day theme tune suggests not, rarely miss the 1st goal.

No ,no you've got it all wrong you think about football to make it last longer.

Archived