Connor Sammon

ramit

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Goodbye to the legend that is Conor Sammon. He put a lot of effort in but it's difficult to think of any strengths he had apart from making the opposition keeper rush his clearances.

He ran a lot, but usually to the wrong place. He seemed unable to actually kick a ball cleanly. When he jumped he folded in the middle, so his head ended up lower than before he jumped - Jamie Ward was far more effective in the air. Nigel Clough didn't get many wrong, but Sammon was certainly one, and I think that Sammon was Nigel's record signing at Derby.

Apparently we've allowed him to leave a couple of weeks early so he can sign for Hearts in time to be registered for the Europa League - yes Sammon is going to be playing European club football next season - Conor Sammon.

When I was young I was very fast and very fit. I could run for 90 minutes easily and my sprinting speed pretty explosive. Sadly I was still pretty rubbish at football despite usually being the quickest and always being the fittest player on the pitch. Conor Sammon makes me think that I gave up too soon. 

Conor Sammon in the Europa League:huh:

I think Sammon can consider himself quite lucky to have landed a contract at Hearts. I thought he was ok for us. Obviously not worth the money we spent on transfer or wages, but he looked a decent enough mid to lower table championship striker when he was playing for Derby. His loans have been the real concern. He's failed completely to make any real impact at all three clubs he's been loaned to and his failure to oust Billy Sharp as the attacking focal point of a crap league 1 team certainly would've put me off signing him.

19 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I can't believe he's playing at these levels. 

He's utter rubbish

You don't score goals like the one in this game if there isn't something special about you

Now I didn't specify what kind of special you have to be :lol:

6 minutes ago, rynny said:

You don't score goals like the one in this game if there isn't something special about you

Now I didn't specify what kind of special you have to be :lol:

Watch from 2:03 to 2:13 to see the best and the worst of Conor Sammon and sums up his time here.

Just goes to show where hard work and determination can land you.  Add to that athleticism, a humble nature and even an unpredictability for defenders to try to figure out and you have someone unlike most others.  Skill is not everything, Ince for instance could do with some of Sammon's attitude.

Sammon brings a 'chaos factor' whenever he's got the ball - how can a defender anticipate where the ball's going to go when Sammon himself has no idea? There was a brief moment where I thought we've got a cracking player in his debut against Watford where he scored from 20 yards, then saw it was deflected in. Still, him and Jamie Ward had the makings of a good partnership up front if only Wardy's hamstrings didn't crumble every two months.

He's a good lad though and always gave hiss best for us - just wasn't the quality we required. Hope he has plenty of success back up in Scotland.

1 hour ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Scored the winner against Watford at their place was good. He'll be fine for Hearts and Europa League too. 

Hearts opponents in the Europa League have no idea who they will up against and how could they, the man is unique. :D

4 hours ago, Gritters said:

I'll always remember the friendly at Northampton. I wonder if everyone would have run on the pitch if he'd scored. Anyway he managed to sky a few over the bar from inside 6 yard box so there was no chance of a pitch invasion. 

The awkward moment at the Burton friendly when everyone started singing it, then he scored :lol:

• 1 month later...

Archived