Alan Nixon transfer debacle 16/17

North_Stand_Ram

24 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I know what you mean, and they paid next to nothing for him but they are looking for someone to play down the left side and I can't think of anyone better currently in the championship than Russell 

Really!? 

Forestieri? Gouffran? Sacko (Leeds)? Murphy (Norwich)? 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, thekingofbuxton said:

Id agree that Russell could be 'upgraded' in this transfer window but getting the right fee would be critical - it would have to be around 4/5m for me for it to make any sense. 

On top of that we would have to bring in someone that is actually better - this is the tricky bit as there probably aren't actually that many realistic options?

I like Wildschuts pace and direct running Sako's pace and power could be an option - both of these have been discussed on here already. 

I agree but I would like to have both options to use, it is the ones behind your Russell's that we need to shift because they are obviously not good enough for what we need

12 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I know, but reality is that they all do that currently ( Ince aside) at least with Russell he doesn't give up and he keeps trying and their are some who simply disappear 

Agreed but we're in danger here of making a comparison between endeavour and commitment with skill let's compare apples with apples. The primary function of a winger should be to create assists and score goals not to chase around the park all afternoon. 

3 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Really!? 

Forestieri? Gouffran? Sacko (Leeds)? Murphy (Norwich)? 

All about opinion, forestieri yep £7-10 million, gouffran not so sure,  sacko plays on the right I think but new to British football so we will see and Murphy is promising so far, but not a great selection is it? 

Just now, Sparkle said:

All about opinion, forestieri yep £7-10 million, gouffran not so sure,  sacko plays on the right I think but new to British football so we will see and Murphy is promising so far, but not a great selection is it? 

It's not, you're right!

I'm not sure if it's ever going to click with the "grass is greener" crowd. You don't sell first team players unless the bid is very high. I don't have a problem with people questioning whether Russell is good enough to start, but if you want to improve the squad you keep Russell whilst bringing in someone to compete for his shirt. Over the past few years on these pages I've seen people willing to "drive" players like Hendrick, Grant, Keogh, and Martin to their potential suitors because they believed they were so awful. They were wrong then, they're wrong now.

Just now, Anon said:

I'm not sure if it's ever going to click with the "grass is greener" crowd. You don't sell first team players unless the bid is very high. I don't have a problem with people questioning whether Russell is good enough to start, but if you want to improve the squad you keep Russell whilst bringing in someone to compete for his shirt. Over the past few years on these pages I've seen people willing to "drive" players like Hendrick, Grant, Keogh, and Martin to their potential suitors because they believed they were so awful. They were wrong then, they're wrong now.

I would agree, and I think that's what we'd do in an ideal world. But Russell will be able to get football week in/week out at another club in this division, and would be well in his rights to seek it if we brought in a better replacement. 

1 minute ago, Anon said:

My opinion basically, we need the ones never doing anything not to be around to free up space for better options

1 minute ago, Nuwtfly said:

I would agree, and I think that's what we'd do in an ideal world. But Russell will be able to get football week in/week out at another club in this division, and would be well in his rights to seek it if we brought in a better replacement. 

Fine, but we only sell Russell after the new lad has proved he's better over at least half a season, not before we've even made the signing.

Id agree that Forestieri would be an improvement but he would also cost around £10m which is probably a bit too much

Sako (Palace - not Leeds) would be a loan so more financially sensible

Id imagine Wildschut would have a similar value to Russell

Sako (Leeds looks decent but would be very unlikely to move)

Murphy is being touted to Liverpool and Spurs in the press so he's not really an option

Just now, cheron85 said:

If you're going to replace a winger in the squad why would you replace a current first team player?

If you want to improve the squad the most sensible thing is bring someone better in and have Russell as first reserve?

As I said, that is what you would do in an ideal world. But would JR want to stay at Derby and play second-fiddle when he knows he can move and play first team football?

10 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

As I said, that is what you would do in an ideal world. But would JR want to stay at Derby and play second-fiddle when he knows he can move and play first team football?

He strikes me as the kind of character who would be like Bucko... When Sir Buckonator first came in he looked like he could barely manage League 2 football yet every time we bought in 'someone better' Bucko raised his game... 

Just now, cheron85 said:

He strikes me as the kind of character who would be like Bucko... When Sir Buckonator first came in he looked like he could barely manage League 2 football yet every time we bought in 'someone better' Bucko raised his game... 

Hmm. Not so sure on that one. Was angling for a move in the Summer and will likely look to go if we sign a clear replacement.

Archived