Who's to blame?

Posh Ram

Who's to blame?  

121 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

No one is to blame as such. We have had serious injuries to Will Hughes, Craig Bryson, Fozzy and George Thorne. We met a team yesterday who were too good for us. Hull beat a couple of their big rivals 3-0 also.We made an error for the first goal. We gave them a deflected og and we were trying to peg them back when we lost to a clinical finish. Good luck to Hull. COYR

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not voted as I think even a lighthearted poll at this stage is wrong & unless people have pretty close links into the club, it's hard to tell who's been responsible for what and what exactly has gone on.

I was disappointed McClaren left. I was excited by Clement's appointment. I was in bits at Hughes' injury. I was disappointed by the (lack of) style under Clement, but felt it unfair to sack him and not give him the guaranteed year.

Wassall's appointment was weird and mad from the off, as though Clement's sacking was on a whim with no real thought about strategy. I've repeatedly said Wassall doesn't seem smart enough to manage at a high level. He makes poor decisions, is super-slow to react to most situations and never takes any responsibility for his mistakes.

Bringing Harry in was equally odd, an example of how the club's approach has changed to one of throwing money at everything rather than finding a good solution.

Nowhere has that been better exemplified than in the recruitment policy. Oh my word. People on this thread criticize the gumps for turning on Doughty; I liked Derby because he squandered vast piles of cash on terrible managers and players. We're beginning to do exactly the same.

The Johnson signing, because "he became available" was daft. No we weren't "over a barrel" with Butterfield - we could easily have got better value elsewhere. I have no idea who bought Bent and why when he must be earning a fortune and hasn't played. I expect Bent thinks the same. Camera - what has that been about? Blackman looked like Clement's only signing but was silly for two reasons: (1) if Clement was going to be sacked within a short space of crime; (2) it was a fortune for an average player averaging one goal in five. Then there's Pearce, Weimann, etc... Instead of buying players demonstrably better than what we have (quality), we seemed to bring in loads of people are very similar level to what was already here (quantity). Which contradicts the stated strategy of developing academy players.

Many of the first team players have failed to get over the line two years in a row and look very likely to make that three. They've not been helped by perverse team selection and tactics, but should have taken more responsibility themselves and had more balls. Life seems too cushy at the top of the Championship with a lovely pitch, great training facilities and 30k fans most weeks. Whoever comes in should be hungrier and less afraid.

I had a lot of faith in Mel and Sam and to say it's been sorely tested is an understatement. Pearson seemed to make it pretty clear he wanted the job. He seemed exactly the type of manager to organize us, play good pacy powerful football and get us up. Very strange.

The crowd is listed in the poll. As soon as the first goal went in for Hull, it felt as if our spirit was as broken as the players. Some people say the players need to do something to lift the crowd and get supporters on their side. Surely not today? I thought there'd be singing and support for 95 minutes, but it sounded as if it ceased abruptly. Very poor.

Today was the day the word abject was invented for. Despite finishing 5th, I think a lot has to change. There's a big decision to be made about whether to hire a proven manager who will want control over recruitment etc, or bringing in more junior coaches to work with players they're provided with.

Right now it feels like a big task to take us to a higher/better level. Really hoping we don't have to take a step backwards to go forwards, but this season appears quite damaging.

Edit: If you reached the end of this well done and thanks. Didn't set out to write quite such a long post, but apportioning blame is clearly complicated!

Not read the whole thread, but I'm wondering who is to blame for what exactly? Finishing 5th (considering my experiences of supporting the rams over 30 years, this constitutes a very good season), investing millions (whatever you think about the signings - and theres a lot of repainting of history about a few of them now - I'm far happier having an owner who is willing to ivest than not and, as its not my money then I don't really care about how much we spent on whom), investing millions in having one  the best academies in the country, sacking a manager who - though I wouldn't have done it myself - from recollection there were plenty of people baying for blood on here, or is it for losing a game of football against a team who finished higher in the league, who have plenty of premier league players in it and who played damn well?

I'm disappointed in the manner of yesterday's defeat. It was very very poor. But, I do think there has been a massive over reaction. Its all down to the expectations people had I suppose.  Look at how chuffed Wednesday fans are for being in the play offs; a few seasons ago we would have killed to be the play offs (inc last season). I'm obviously disappointed with (probably) not going up but I really hate the whole baby with bathwater attitude that somehow we're in the same state we were in when Maxwell or the three amigos where here. Bigger picture aint that bad. 

I know there is an element of tongue in cheek with the poll, but come on people, it has been a lot lot worse and with some of these so-called villains in charge, the future is very very bright.  

I know, I know 'happy clapper nonsense'...

The problem for me is recruitment, pure and simple. We've invested heavily and, as John Percy said on radio Derby before the game, Derby are seen outside Derby as the big spenders. We should now be close to a premier league team . Not top ten but certainly one that could stay up. For me, we've not improved a jot. The recruitment of players has been poor. We shouldn't buy players for the bench, only ones that will improve the team. We think we're better than we are and every time we play 'premier' opposition we realise we're way off (manure and hull two examples). Now a clear out's in order!

Sorry have not been able to read this all yet, but will later but have to work today.

I have said these things before, and I will say them again:-

1) Mel Morris despite all his probable good intentions has taken us a step or three back this season. Oh for Brett and the gang and a steady building process, and sensible recruitment/spending policy.

2) Home fans who continue to make the iPro the most intimidating ground in the league for the Rams to play each season. 

3) The players who, in the main, are simply bang average. Will Hughes apart we do not have any quality footballers, albeit Thorne and Butterfield could be if they were not blighted by injuries past and present, and Ince might be if he were not such a fragile character.  Martin, Bryson and Russell? If these guys were really any good don't you think that they might have collectively mustered a few more caps for Scotland (yes Scotland) than they have? Personally I don't really rate Keogh, I prefer Shackell as a defender, but hats off to Keogh who does wear his heart on his sleeve and does I believe genuinely care. I think we carry a few who don't.

Pretty disillusioned by yesterday, but not surprised. I hope we can make a fist of it on Tuesday and restore some pride, but hopefully Mel will soon call a major decision right, and we can start the season with something a bit more than great expectations and false hope.

COYR!

I was concerned at the time about how many players were brought in to help our cause, a smaller squad with adequate cover would have been fine, Blackman was bought from Reading scoring goals for fun, he came into a side that had 3-4 players vying for his position, so the team has a problem already.

Archived