How should Wassall/Harry approach the game tomorrow?

robglosta

I was mulling this over today, couldn't really make my mind up.  

Should we go ultra cautious knowing that we have another game to go, or go all out attack trying to establish an advantage going into the trickier away leg? Tactically, what might the approach be? 

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do what Sheffield Wednesday are doing to Brighton. Give them no time on the ball and pressure the defenders high up. To do this though you need Martin to work hard instead of stropping around. Both Hooper and Forestieri are working their socks off for Wednesday

There's nothing worse than going out with a whimper. Classic example recently was Man Citeh in Madrid- all that effort to get to the CL semi final, wasted.

We should play to score some goals at PP, and worry about our own game.

Strategy for the second leg can be reviewed afterwards.

1 hour ago, robglosta said:

I was mulling this over today, couldn't really make my mind up.  

Should we go ultra cautious knowing that we have another game to go, or go all out attack trying to establish an advantage going into the trickier away leg? Tactically, what might the approach be? 

Shouldn't even think about being ultra cautious. 

53 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Do what Sheffield Wednesday are doing to Brighton. Give them no time on the ball and pressure the defenders high up. To do this though you need Martin to work hard instead of stropping around. Both Hooper and Forestieri are working their socks off for Wednesday

Must be a first for them pair to work hard ! Let's play how we can play no need to implicate anybody , wearederby  . Martin will be a beast tomorrow! !

Darren should sit the lads down and tell'em what he's looking for is a 2 or 3 goal advantage to take to Hull on Tuesday where we're going to approach that game on the counter attack but this home leg is all about pace, working hard on and off the ball and not giving them a second's peace.

He's got to tell them Hull are pooping themselves at the prospect of another mauling and they are there for the taking.

1 hour ago, HantsRam said:

I'll be in it and I'm leaving the knitting at home for this one! 

Are you trying to pull the wool over our eyes or just trying to needle us, HantsRam? The team is now knitted and we cannot afford to drop any stitches.We need a couple of pearl ers from our strike force. :lol:

We need everyone on their top game, to play our way and if we do not win then no regrets.Hull will be very dangerous on the break. Both centre halves up for our corners could lose us the game. Also get a player at the posts for their corners.

Leave nothing on the pitch. Press high and full of energy, contantly buzzing around them, hunting in packs. First thought always forward, moving the ball quickly, especially into Martin and then give him runners going past him. If you get a chance, be utterly ruthless. Remember when the final whistle sounds it will only be half-time so concentrate for the entirety of the game and give nothing sloppy away towards the end. Only ever go once across the back line and not continually sideways or they will press you high and intercept - instead go forward and longer if you have to.

Play without fear or inhibition. Break at pace, busting your guts to get up there in support while they're caught off balance. Give the crowd things to cheer from the off. Rally them when you collect the ball for goalkicks, throw-ins and corners. Remember this is what many of you have worked so hard for over the last three years. Make sure you don't leave that perfect pitch with any regrets.

And as @Rampagesays, men defending both posts at corners!

Both games the same, play our way whatever the score. Bugger Hull, let them do their thing. We play to our levels then we can beat anyone in the league. The quicker we play and more aggressively we move the ball, the harder we are to stop.

Archived