Penalty Takers

ITSD

Amazes me how a player can all-day-long play 20 yard passes to feet yet when it comes to a penalty, 12 yards out, they hit it only a matter of feet either side of the goalkeeper.

If anyone wants to watch a perfect penalty shootout, watch Spain against Italy. Each player just passed it like a normal pass right into the corner, giving the goalkeeper no chance.

I know pressure comes with it. But I just can't understand why players all of a sudden become so incapable from 12 yards. Derby's goals (Jones aside) against Southampton in 07 were great. All high into the net.

Most players take pressure penalties by going to the opposite side of their leg. So a right footer will mainly hit to their bottom left, while a left footer will mainly hit it to their bottm right.

Amazing how obvious this is. Just like in the Muller/Torres penalties. Both were so obvious, and terribly hit.

My five would be Martin (go the other side like vs Brighton in the playoffs!), Olsson, Butterfield, Hughes and Ince (depending who is on the field of course). Wouldn't trust Russell, Hendrick or Bryson for that matter.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never seen most of them take a penalty. So on that basis alone i declare this a stupid subject not worthy of 3 pages of replies.

I trust Wassall and the boys to sort it out between them and like to think they will get some good practise in.

Best example of penalty shoot out I've ever seen was England v Germany Euro 96. The first five takers for each team were just so fantastically taken. 

If it's a draw with five mins left I'd most certainly have Bent on. Likely to sneak a winner and if not then you would most certainly want him taking one of the penalties. 

If Tommy Ince is anything like his dad he wont take one... He'll sit in the centre circle facing the opposite way bottling it & leaving it to someone else to reluctantly take one 

poor old gareth southgate 

5 hours ago, SaintRam said:

Wouldn't trust Russell, Hendrick or anyone else for that matter really, despite many others probably being capable. 

Out of curiosity just googled for Russell's penalty stats, as thought playing up front he must have taken a few. According to this site he's taken 5 in competitive games, scored 4. Not so bad.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jumplist/elfmetertore/spieler/55494

1 hour ago, jagerbob said:

I've never seen most of them take a penalty. So on that basis alone i declare this a stupid subject not worthy of 3 pages of replies.

I trust Wassall and the boys to sort it out between them and like to think they will get some good practise in.

I've not seen the Ipswich game on Saturday yet either. Should we take the prediction thread down too ?

38 minutes ago, G-Ram said:

If Tommy Ince is anything like his dad he wont take one... He'll sit in the centre circle facing the opposite way bottling it & leaving it to someone else to reluctantly take one 

poor old gareth southgate 

On the other hand, it made for a hilarious Pizza Hut advertisement...

3 hours ago, Srg said:

Darren Moore

Since you mentioned Darren Moore, does anyone remember penalty shoot out in the cup tie at Doncaster?
(Just looked, it was almost 10 years ago, before they moved to the Keepmoat.)

3-0 down with 15 minutes to go, we scored 3 to take it to extra time.
We then lost the penalty shootout, 8-7 ... tense!
Darren Moore scored one of the 3 and scored his penalty, Nyatanga missed the 8th.

I think its difficult to say who should and shouldnt take one 

messi brilliant player, but by his standards has missed loads of pens in his career, dennis Irwin back in the day at man united took a fantastic pen but probably the least person you'd expect to be a great pen and set piece taker

its difficult its about who fancies it & bottle 

If I were Mel I'd have someone with a long lens near the Hull training ground capturing video of (among other things) their penalty practice. And I'd be making sure no one was doing the same near Moor Farm. Don't leave anything to chance.

I spoke to Darren Moore at the u21 game against arsenal and I asked him if he was glad that he never had to take one against Southampton in the play offs, he replied that he looked up and said thank you god, when Idiakez missed. 

I remember that League Cup game against Ssausagehorpe that went to about 11 penalties. Jake Buxton Football Genius took by far the best effort. Absolutely nailed it

But really this thread should be asking the question - are we practicing penalties? I flippin hope so given that it feels like we've missed more than we've scored in the past 2 seasons (anyone have the truefacts?)

I don't care who takes them as long as they've been practicing!

Let's hope this fella is doing the teaching

Was three seasons ago we missed a few and had that run of only scoring about 50% if that.

Last year bent scored all but one i think, martin got a few earlier in the season.

This season we have a 50% coversion rate only having been awarded 2 all season.

Archived