Penalty Takers

ITSD

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Christie or Olsson will take one, a full back always seems to take a penalty for some reason. Penalty shoot-outs are where you find out who of your technically gifted players don't actually have any balls.

My choice 5 though would be same as above. Of course, it depends who's on the field and I don't think Weimann, Butterfield or Johnson would be out of place taking a penalty. Bent I'd be nervous as **** (more so than others) but he'd probably score.

Wouldn't trust Russell, Hendrick or anyone else for that matter really, despite many others probably being capable. I'd be scared if anyone else stepped up.

Just now, Kernow said:

Anyone who is willing to just run up and smack it. Anyone skipping about to dink it or gently side-foot it either side of the keeper can go to the back of the queue.

98% of the time, a goalkeeper will dive. Just smacking it is a good way forward. Over thinking it is how you **** it up.

5 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

98% of the time, a goalkeeper will dive. Just smacking it is a good way forward. Over thinking it is how you **** it up.

It annoys me when a player will stroll up and just stroke it a foot or two either side of the centre, gently along the floor. The commentator always says "what a cool penalty!" Yes but it wouldn't be if the keeper dived that way. The keeper will always dive. Just hit it hard and down the middle and the only way you'll miss is if you blaze it over.

The keepers will be studying videos of the last however many pens a team and their players have taken, which does make it extra hard. They also need to stand tall for some of them and not simply dive and guess. At different times Martin, Bent and Russell have been our "official" penalty takers so they should be safer bets than others if on the pitch, but there's more video of their technique. One question is, do you bring Bent on with a minute of extra time left in order for him to take one? I would say yes if there's still a substitute spot to use. My top 5 would be:

1. Martin
  2. Russell
  3. Bent
  4. Bryson
  5. Ince

with Thorne, Hughes, Butterfield, Keogh in reserve.

1 minute ago, Carl Sagan said:

The keepers will be studying videos of the last however many pens a team and their players have taken, which does make it extra hard. They also need to stand tall for some of them and not simply dive and guess. At different times Martin, Bent and Russell have been our "official" penalty takers so they should be safer bets than others if on the pitch, but there's more video of their technique. One question is, do you bring Bent on with a minute of extra time left in order for him to take one? I would say yes if there's still a substitute spot to use. My top 5 would be:

1. Martin
  2. Russell
  3. Bent
  4. Bryson
  5. Ince

with Thorne, Hughes, Butterfield, Keogh in reserve.

And at various times all of them have had really poor efforts saved.  If either the second leg or the final (fingers crossed) went to penos, I'll be praying for Carson to bail us out :unsure:

44 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

And at various times all of them have had really poor efforts saved.  If either the second leg or the final (fingers crossed) went to penos, I'll be praying for Carson to bail us out :unsure:

I agree. I would say when Martin and Bent have lashed it high into the top left corner (as they face the goal) it's been unstoppable, but when they've gone for something different more often than not it's been saved. Bryson's hattrick penalty against the gumps was very fortunate (I can say that as I've got his boots from the day!) and Russell was pretty hit and miss.

In Carson we have a brilliant keeper. But there are some who are much better than others when it comes to spot kicks and I have no idea if he is or isn't one of them. But I really hope him and Zub (and Mitchell) are busy watching the videos and having players practise against them in the style of the Hull penalty takers.

32 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I agree. I would say when Martin and Bent have lashed it high into the top left corner (as they face the goal) it's been unstoppable, but when they've gone for something different more often than not it's been saved. Bryson's hattrick penalty against the gumps was very fortunate (I can say that as I've got his boots from the day!) and Russell was pretty hit and miss.

In Carson we have a brilliant keeper. But there are some who are much better than others when it comes to spot kicks and I have no idea if he is or isn't one of them. But I really hope him and Zub (and Mitchell) are busy watching the videos and having players practise against them in the style of the Hull penalty takers.

on a personal level it doesn't matter for me as I won't have my eyes open.  I never watch our penos in a shootout

Martin bent Johnson ince butterfield. If they are all on the pitch at the end, we would have been losing tho. As for the keeper I am convinced if a keeper just stands up and doesn't dive he is more likely to save a few with either hands or feet. Can't do it for all five tho or gets too predictable. Ideal for when a defender is taking , as they tend to go more power than placement. 

Archived