Summer Transfer Suggestion Thread

muzzamurray

On 18/07/2016 at 18:59, maydrakin said:

To say there is no cover at right back is incorrect. Like it or not, we have Chris Baird on the sidelines taking a fairly decent wage as, primarily, a right back.

Unless he or Christie are shifted out, I struggle to see the fiscal justification to purchase another.

He isnt good enough to compete with Christie and I believe Keogh would be the emergency RB if Christie got injured.

When you look at LB we have Olsson/Forsyth/Lowe who can all fight to be number 1.

At RB we have Christie/Baird and Keogh but I dont think Baird is good enough back up imo

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, EnigmaRam said:

Both are totally different types of strikers and not convinced we'd have to sell one just to have the other. Maybe play both?

I'd love Assomablonga. Me saying he isn't as good as Martin isn't me trying to play down Assomablonga's ability, but more so praise how good Martin is. Unfortunately though, whilst Fawaz is their owner it's unlikely we'll ever sign anyone from Forest. He flat out said Antonio would never be sold to us no matter how much we offered .... he'd probably do the same if we ever expressed an interest in Britt.

4 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

I'd love Assomablonga. Me saying he isn't as good as Martin isn't me trying to play down Assomablonga's ability, but more so praise how good Martin is. Unfortunately though, whilst Fawaz is their owner it's unlikely we'll ever sign anyone from Forest. He flat out said Antonio would never be sold to us no matter how much we offered .... he'd probably do the same if we ever expressed an interest in Britt.

I get that mate, just see you both arguing which is best when 2 different types of players. Plus throwing in the option of having both rather than the one. I agree fawaz would never sell aswell

2 hours ago, Cam the Ram said:

Just out of interest, do you think that's bad by Fawaz? I'd hope unless they blew us out of the water (think £20m for Hendrick) we'd never sell anybody to the red scum either.

Just now, Posh Ram said:

Just out of interest, do you think that's bad by Fawaz? I'd hope unless they blew us out of the water (think £20m for Hendrick) we'd never sell anybody to the red scum either.

Bad from a business standpoint but good from a fan's standpoint. If at the time West Ham didn't sign Antonio and Forest kept him, they'd probably still be in an embargo now because they'd refused to sell to us. Must be an awful situation for an owner, sell to a rival and get a large chunk of money to help with the running of the club but risk the wrath of the fans, or keep and risk problems down the line.

5 hours ago, Ram14 said:

I respect that but feel a Bryson/Hughes, Hendrick/Hughes combination would be my choice but that is just my opinion

Clough tried those 3 in a 2 and the best we achieved is 10th ?

12 hours ago, Posh Ram said:

They aren't a comparative rival, by which I mean they won't finish within 6 positions of us. If someone isn't good enough for us I'd sell for reasonable fees to anyone who isn't a direct competitor.

16 hours ago, Cam the Ram said:

Martin matches his goals to game ratio over the past few seasons, has many more assists and has created more chances than nearly everyone in the Championship, never mind just Assombalonga. And I'm not having that rubbish about him owing it to the midfield behind him. During the 14/15 season Assombalonga had a midfield including Antonio, Lansbury and Gardner behind him, all very talented players. During that season Derby's midfield included; Hughes, Hendrick, Bryson - missed a lot through injury and never regained his form from the previous season, Ward - missed half the season through injury, Eustace - missed half of the season through injury, Thorne - missed virtually all of the season through injury and Ince - rarely played with Martin.

Both Martin and Assombalonga picked up injuries during that season and both played roughly the same number of games, guess who scored and assisted more? Drum roll please ....

Because one plays for Derby and one plays for Forest. You cant tell me you would score and assist the same amount of goals for lesser teams.

Think of it this way. If you play for Barcelona and then you play for Malaga where would you fancy yourself to score more goals?

Drum roll please ;)

2 hours ago, Simsy said:

Because one plays for Derby and one plays for Forest. You cant tell me you would score and assist the same amount of goals for lesser teams.

Think of it this way. If you play for Barcelona and then you play for Malaga where would you fancy yourself to score more goals?

Drum roll please ;)

This argument has flaws. I assume that playing for Barca I am alongside 2 of Messi, Neymar and Suarez. The chances of me getting the ball in goal scoring positions may be high but the ball would be shared around a lot more than say Malaga, where I would be the main guy in a team that creates less but I get a high percentage of those chances.

Sorry if that doesn't make sense, just adding to the debate. I get what you're saying, Derby have created more chances consistently over the past 3 seasons, but I can't imagine the difference is too big.

2 hours ago, Simsy said:

Drum roll please ;)

Except that part of the reason Derby are a top championship side is because if Chris Martin. A player who last season created more chances than any other player in the championship. You don't need to be surrounded by talent to create opportunities yourself

2 hours ago, Simsy said:

Drum roll please ;)

You've completely ignored the part in which I responded to this claim. You claimed the reason Martin scores more is because of the midfield behind him, so I pointed out during the same season Assombalonga scored the majority of his Forest goals, the midfield behind Martin was plagued with injuries and Britt had probably the best player in the league behind him in Antonio. And we had a fantastic midfield before Martin joined yet Sammon and Robinson didn't score 20+.

1 hour ago, Cam the Ram said:

You've completely ignored the part in which I responded to this claim. You claimed the reason Martin scores more is because of the midfield behind him, so I pointed out during the same season Assombalonga scored the majority of his Forest goals, the midfield behind Martin was plagued with injuries and Britt had probably the best player in the league behind him in Antonio. And we had a fantastic midfield before Martin joined yet Sammon and Robinson didn't score 20+.

its still opinionated. Back then was Antonio that good? I dont think so which is why Wednesday let him go so cheap.

Our midfield is much stronger now then when we had theo but yes Martin is more prolific then theo and sammon but my opinion was Assambalonga would be more prolific then Martin.

Put it this way I don't think he could ever go without a goal from open play in 19 games like Chrissy did. Also Chris struggles in the big games. I could be wrong but I struggle to remember him scoring against any of the promoted sides, in the play offs or against the red dogs?

Just now, Simsy said:

its still opinionated. Back then was Antonio that good? I dont think so which is why Wednesday let him go so cheap.

Our midfield is much stronger now then when we had theo but yes Martin is more prolific then theo and sammon but my opinion was Assambalonga would be more prolific then Martin.

Put it this way I don't think he could ever go without a goal from open play in 19 games like Chrissy did. Also Chris struggles in the big games. I could be wrong but I struggle to remember him scoring against any of the promoted sides, in the play offs or against the red dogs?

Nah, that season was when Antonio scored 14 and assisted 12, which led to the move to West Ham. And I probably agree with you that Assombalonga wouldn't go 19 without a goal, but I also can't imagine Assombalonga ever being the player with the most chances created in the league. 

And I'm not sure about that last part, I seem to remember someone posting his scoring stats against top tier and lower tier teams but can't remember who .... @cheron85 possibly?

Archived