Boltons Demise

Van der MoodHoover

Just watching Championship Tonight which opened with Rams v Bolton and then went into a bit of a Bolton valedictory with Phil Brown attempting to wax lyrical. 

An interesting stat was put up about previous premier league clubs falling into league 1 or equivalent and how long they've stayed down there.

I must confess I feel for the Bolton fans. A club similar to us in some respects but completely different in terms of businessmodel for some years and that is seemingly weighing them down now.

To my mind it's a salutary lesson in the dangers of over extending yourself in what appear to be the good times only to come a cropper subsequently. 

With that in mind, the riches on offer in the premier league, and the infrastructure at the top championship clubs this season do my fellow posters think there may be any Boltons of the future amongst the promotion hopefuls? If so, which and why?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like Bolton so seeing them how they are the minute isn't nice :(, I wish them a quick return and hope they can get back on their feet financially and get back to where they belong.

We had some right good games against them in the late 90s at their place.  

Nah Rob, it's about 40 mile across the M62. ;)

Seriously, I don't know much about Bolton's predicament, was it the late Mr Gartside's tenure and paying wages they couldn't really afford to compete to stay in the Premiership ? 

Thinking of Leeds no Portsmouth's models I think they have served as a lesson and clubs will be more prudent and take the long term view yeah Premier League football would be great but a well run club will bring it's own rewards.

1 hour ago, robglosta said:

Leeds can't be far away.  

pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease

Decent club and hope they come back sooner rather than later.

It would appear they've been badly run to get into this mess - I would consider them to be naturally able to sustain a good championship side indefinitely with occasional forays upwards in the usual run of things. But then, in the usual run of things doesn't count for much, for a long time that's the bracket Coventry lived in for example.

8 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Simply lived miles beyond their means for far too many years, signing Okocha, djorkeff etc etc and it is coming back to bite them now. So no sympathy really, they lived the dream and are paying for it now, just like Portsmouth etc. 

The trouble is, chairmen and owners can ruin clubs whilst trying to massage their own egos, then walk away when it goes pear-shaped.

1 minute ago, eddie said:

The trouble is, chairmen and owners can ruin clubs whilst trying to massage their own egos, then walk away when it goes pear-shaped.

The chairmans need to take responsibility when this happens, unfortunately gartside can't because he's sadly not with us anymore.. but chairmans who run clubs like Pompey into the ground should take full responsibility imo and I'd heavily fine them and not the club.. its the fans who always suffer and its the fans who always stay when the s*** hits the fan,, so full respect to those Bolton fans who did turn up yesterday, their a credit to their club.

52 minutes ago, DCFCArmy said:

The chairmans need to take responsibility when this happens, unfortunately gartside can't because he's sadly not with us anymore.. but chairmans who run clubs like Pompey into the ground should take full responsibility imo and I'd heavily fine them and not the club.. its the fans who always suffer and its the fans who always stay when the s*** hits the fan,, so full respect to those Bolton fans who did turn up yesterday, their a credit to their club.

I would also not forget to proportion some of that blame on the toss pot of a manager who was blowing all that money at Portsmouth on rubbish expensive players....now where is he now....?

I hope the Bolton fans stay with their club.

They have had their day in the sun and are paying for it now like Muespach says, but its npt the fans fault. The fans were there before the premier years and hopefully will remain loyal. There must be a new breed of trotter who have grown up in the top flight and will not be dragged away to the big city lights on their doorstep. Any Bolton lad will always be more respected for supporting them than the half and half scarf wearing fookers down the road.

Bolton have a decent history, 73 years in the top flight, 4 FA Cup wins and Nat Lofthouse, one of England's finest.

Its usually a decent day out up there as well so I wish them all the best and a speedy return.

Feel sorry for Bolton must be horrible as a fan and horrible for the normal people that have jobs at the club and work their for a normal living. Catering staff, groundsmen club shop etc

it could have easily been us if it wasnt for the yanks and cloughie cutting the wage bill, keeping us up and doing a splendid job rebuilding. It was rubbish when we were lowering the wage bill and getting rid of the deadwood but in all its laid some solid foundations and we could have easily done a bolton. Good luck to them hope they bounce back  

Archived