Bradley out for the season

Carl Sagan

After revealing that Jeff was out for the season, I'm the bearer of more bad news. Bradley's damaged his knee ligaments. I'm not sure how bad this is, but he won't play again this campaign. Don't shoot the messenger!

Obviously that's a huge shame having been moved back into a more natural position and bagged a couple of goals, his confidence would have been sky high. Jacob will start today instead (I would have picked Hanson).

With Will returning to the squad today,  we might end the season with a McClaren midfield three. So long as they can stay fit, that'll be no bad thing.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, SamUltraRam said:

If that's true then it's a serious blow. Not been his greatest fan but he's another option gone & this puts unwanted pressure on rushing Will Hughes back

Completely agree. What a strange season it has been for BJ. 

What are our alternatives, if we feel that Butterfield and Bryson does not work?  Hanson with Thorne further forward (he can be creative, great shot on him and more mobile than BJ)?  Anyone else to come through from U21s?

I'm against recalling Baird.

Tuesday afternoon I'd have said no problem. After Tuesday evening I'm a a bit down about this. Time for Butterfield to step up.

3 minutes ago, Andrew3000 said:

Completely agree. What a strange season it has been for BJ. 

What are our alternatives, if we feel that Butterfield and Bryson does not work?  Hanson with Thorne further forward (he can be creative, great shot on him and more mobile than BJ)?  Anyone else to come through from U21s?

I'm against recalling Baird.

Did you just say Thorne is more mobile than Johnson?

Are you having a laugh? The only person less mobile than Thorne in the last couple of years is fatty Martin and old crock Eustace.

29 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

After revealing that Jeff was out for the season, I'm the bearer of more bad news. Bradley's damaged his knee ligaments. I'm not sure how bad this is, but he won't play again this campaign. Don't shoot the messenger!

Obviously that's a huge shame having been moved back into a more natural position and bagged a couple of goals, his confidence would have been sky high. Jacob will start today instead (I would have picked Hanson).

With Will returning to the squad today,  we might end the season with a McClaren midfield three. So long as they can stay fit, that'll be no bad thing.

Source?

Not heard anything from DCFC, telegraph or the Radio.

Im always uneasy reading this stuff on here before a trusted reliable source.

You dont need Pace when you can hold players off with strength. Gazza and Barkley didnt / dont have pace but are some of the most effective forward thinking players. He adds strength and a tigerness to the midfield which we dont have in about another 5 different options!

30 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

Did you just say Thorne is more mobile than Johnson?

Are you having a laugh? The only person less mobile than Thorne in the last couple of years is fatty Martin and old crock Eustace.

I did.  I accept that Thorne is one of our less mobile/agile players (especially this season's version) but he still accelerates and turns with more balance than Johnson.  You imply that Johnson is more agile and I just don't see that and this is reflected in any description of his immense bulk (tank, unit etc).

In theory,  with bryson regaining his mojo and Thorne back to full fitness this shouldn't be too disruptive.

I've consistently thought our most natural midfield combinations to be thorne/Hanson,  Hughes /Butterfield and bryson /hendrick. 

Bradley is a bit betwixt and between. He's sort of part thorne  (enforcer) and part bryson  (runnet/finisher ). His passing /creativity has been regularly commented on as being a weak spot. 

What it does do is increase risk on bryson in particular given we've already lost Jeff. And on whoever is doing the cdm as with bryson /Butterfield as the combination there is only the cdm with any tackling ability. 

Archived