Lost that loving feeling?

IlsonDerby

9 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

I haven't read all the thread & I'm sure this has been said before but I wrote the season off once we didn't appoint a permanent manager. I strongly suspect the club did too - but of course there is no way they would ever admit to that.

I'm still confident for next season though and can afford be relaxed about the whole thing because I'm not a season ticket holder. I can therefore understand the frustration of those who are.

I can also totally understand the feeling of being disconnected from the club at the moment. To me it feels like a trial separation.

And I think some of the players have taken the view that this season has been written off too. I know MM would suggest that of course promotion is still an aim but there were many on here who felt that the appointment of DW suggested that the season was being written off. If fans can interpret it that way then so can players (they're just blokes like many of us).

Also it doesn't take your standard to drop a great deal to be off the mark at this level of sport and it looks to my eyes that some of them have taken their eye off the ball.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem is the players are NOT together.

Clough- Bought cheaply ( had no real choice ) but got players that were hungry and of the right attitude mostly.

McLaren ............. Inherited this squad and added a few nice touches and with his extra coaching know how and who he was got us really rocking and rolling with the same " were all in it together attitude remember the team huddles...........We were ONE BIG HAPPY FAMILY untillllllllllllllllllllllllll newcastlegate and schteve had his head turned. You cant preach togetherness and do the opposite and it comes from the top down.

What do you expect to get when players are earning top dollar getting aload of expectation on them.In the old days they would man up roll their sleeves up and get on with it.Unfortunatley these days not just in football but also in the real world people in general seem to have lost the want to TRY and just accept things.

We need a coach that is a true MAN motivator someone  who can get in the players heads and make them play and play in an exciting way to appease the DERBY WAY of things.

You cant do what Mel has done and expect the squad to try.I like Mel and I'm in no way calling him Derby have craved a millionaire for years ever since Maxwell ( pickering didnt last long ) ,But he will to make mistakes and he has made a big one.

The thing I don't like is the TOTAL DISRESPECT of the fans who have paid their money this year. A real chairman might come out and apologise and give those season tickets holders a very good deal for next year in return and take the hit to his pocket as a way of apology. But I doubt this will happen.

9 hours ago, PrivateDerby said:

Got a 'voicemail' from Chris Martin and Bradley Johnson yesterday kindly reminding me to renew before 4 o'clock, pressed 3 before it ended, that saddened me.

It's not that I can't afford it, but it's a big expense I know I can put to better use, the lads I go with have said the same.

If the players had shown an inch of passion this season I'd have renewed but they haven't. 

I don't like the smarmy smug set up that have somehow managed to undo all of the good work Cloughie and The Mac did, shocking! No direction whatsoever...

I hope we can stay in the playoffs but I don't hold much hope.

Up the Rams...

Welcome back mate was wondering the other day where you had got to ,unless I have missed your recent posts.

I think most people recognise MM's generosity and good intentions and accept them in the spirit in which they are offered. Of course it does not put him above error and therefore criticism.

Ive renewed. Why wouldn't I? I just hope that this time proves to be an interim, a period of reflection and that at the end of it we establish principles by which we can go forward. This should involve a coherent system of playing and a recruitment and development strategy that enables this to happen and makes the most of our current resources and strengths.

Don't call it anything. Just do it.

And make it fun again...

24 minutes ago, unclej said:

How long before the 'free' black and white scarves are being returned to the pitch? 

I'm been refusing to wear mine since the change of manager - my protest doesn't seem to have worked yet, but I live in hope.....

27 minutes ago, NottsRammy said:

The problem is the players are NOT together.

Clough- Bought cheaply ( had no real choice ) but got players that were hungry and of the right attitude mostly.

McLaren ............. Inherited this squad and added a few nice touches and with his extra coaching know how and who he was got us really rocking and rolling with the same " were all in it together attitude remember the team huddles...........We were ONE BIG HAPPY FAMILY untillllllllllllllllllllllllll newcastlegate and schteve had his head turned. You cant preach togetherness and do the opposite and it comes from the top down.

What do you expect to get when players are earning top dollar getting aload of expectation on them.In the old days they would man up roll their sleeves up and get on with it.Unfortunatley these days not just in football but also in the real world people in general seem to have lost the want to TRY and just accept things.

We need a coach that is a true MAN motivator someone  who can get in the players heads and make them play and play in an exciting way to appease the DERBY WAY of things.

You cant do what Mel has done and expect the squad to try.I like Mel and I'm in no way calling him Derby have craved a millionaire for years ever since Maxwell ( pickering didnt last long ) ,But he will to make mistakes and he has made a big one.

The thing I don't like is the TOTAL DISRESPECT of the fans who have paid their money this year. A real chairman might come out and apologise and give those season tickets holders a very good deal for next year in return and take the hit to his pocket as a way of apology. But I doubt this will happen.

I really, really hope that you didn't mean to write that Notts.  To suggest that Maxwell was in any way better than Pickering and invested more is rewriting our history. Pickering, incidentally, lasted about 3 times longer than Maxwell as Chairman.

Maxwell was a crook who spent other people's money. He saved us from the High Court yes, and bought Dean Saunders and good success under Arthur, but he got his money back from the sale of Mark Wright and Saunders at the end of his reign. And for the last couple of years was largely disinterested.

Pickering is rightly remembered fondly. A proper Rams fan (like Mel), he made his money and largely spent it on his local team and along the way allowed Jim Smith to build one of the best and most entertaining Derby sides of the last 50 years, never mind building the Ipro and Moor Farm.  He was putting money in from 1991 to 2003 and continued to underwrite debts after that.

I hope Mel understands DCFC history and takes some note of the way in which Lionel fell out with Derby fans towards the end of his era - perhaps the falling out is starting at the beginning of his time rather than at the end! 

21 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

What you have described isn't out of the ordinary... Every single club has fans that do that. 

As a majority Derby fans are full of class and are definitely not fools

I never said that all fans are classless or clueless, just some are appearing that way and they are the ones that are causing me to wish this season was over and done with now. 

So many are getting in a big huff about stuff and before they know where they are they have created their own truth.

For instance... (and I never got to go to the breakfast btw), it has been clearly explained what 'The Derby Way' is, it's more about the structure of the CLUB not the GAME and yet some fans are banging on about it being about playing style. They've created their own truth about it, making chants about it and using it as a stick to beat the Chairman and the (temporary) Manager. 

For instance... we have a Chairman with some spending power who is working to secure the stable future of the club and yet just because he hasn't jumped in with a managerial appointment he's a complete fool. I have a feeling if he's stolen a manager from another club and derailed them in the way we were derailed last season he would have been criticised for that too.

For instance... Clement was getting huge stick, he was out of his depth, he's a PE Teacher, what on earth makes him think he's worthy of leading our team blah blah. Now he's been badly treated and would have got us into the automatic places.

I could go on but that's enough. I have supported my club many years and football is unpredictable, Leics are enjoying that at the other end of the scale at the moment but they've dropped through the divisions before, we are a long way from that disaster aren't we?

Very interesting thread, which some of the points made regards the negative atmosphere I have been stating on here for a couple of months now.

I renewed my ST on Friday. Although as a fan I have not been happy with how this season has gone for us, I can not selfishly boo or 'protest' in any way as I know it isn't in the clubs best interest. If we we're genuinely a club in trouble such as, Bolton for example than I would be boycotting the chairman as the club would be in danger. The only true danger around our club at the minute is the negative atmosphere that sinks in every time we don't win a game. Football teams lose games it happens, after we beat forest the forum was a different place to what it is now after one defeat away from home to promotion contender, and we lost by one goal... 

7 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

I really, really hope that you didn't mean to write that Notts.  To suggest that Maxwell was in any way better than Pickering and invested more is rewriting our history. Pickering, incidentally, lasted about 3 times longer than Maxwell as Chairman.

Maxwell was a crook who spent other people's money. He saved us from the High Court yes, and bought Dean Saunders and good success under Arthur, but he got his money back from the sale of Mark Wright and Saunders at the end of his reign. And for the last couple of years was largely disinterested.

Pickering is rightly remembered fondly. A proper Rams fan (like Mel), he made his money and largely spent it on his local team and along the way allowed Jim Smith to build one of the best and most entertaining Derby sides of the last 50 years, never mind building the Ipro and Moor Farm.  He was putting money in from 1991 to 2003 and continued to underwrite debts after that.

I hope Mel understands DCFC history and takes some note of the way in which Lionel fell out with Derby fans towards the end of his era - perhaps the falling out is starting at the beginning of his time rather than at the end! 

Stop looking for an argument !!

Yes Maxwell had his faults but we didn't really know that at the time of his coming. Any yes Pickering was great for the most part they were both millionaires its just I seem to remember a better squad under Maxwell and better years until it all fell apart as always.

3 minutes ago, NottsRammy said:

Stop looking for an argument !!

Yes Maxwell had his faults but we didn't really know that at the time of his coming. Any yes Pickering was great for the most part they were both millionaires its just I seem to remember a better squad under Maxwell and better years until it all fell apart as always.

I'm not looking for an argument, but I don't think that you should pass over 12 years of Lionel investing millions of pounds of his own money in our club with the throwaway phrase 'pickering didn't last long'. That's rewriting history.

We can agree to disagree about the respective qualities of the Arthur and Jim squads - my memory is that at their respective bests Jim's team was much more entertaining than Arthur's. But there you go, opinions.

And we can agree that the end of both Maxwell's reign and Lionel's were unhappy periods

I haven't read most of the thread but I'm glad there's a few folks out there feeling the same disinterest as me.  I didn't get to hear a lot of the game because I was shuttling my lad around from one party to another but kept up with stuff via Twitter.  As soon as I saw the tweet for their second goal I closed the app and didn't bother to check the result until around 5:30, I wasn't surprised, or particularly hacked off that we'd lost.  

I know I come off as a broken record but I think a lot of the indifference emerged once Waffal was placed in charge.  I'm sure he's a nice bloke, and can chat over a (meat free) breakfast with the best of them, but he simply isn't up to the job.  Putting him in charge said one thing, and one thing only, the season was over.  A majority of the fans know it, and depending on which version of the Redknapp story you believe, Mel or Waffal himself know it as well.  Therefore you'd think the players realise it as well.

In a few years, we'll look back to this summer and see how it made or broke Mr Morris' tenor as chairman.  He has to get the next managerial appointment right or he's going to end up like Fridgy up the road, enthusiastic, eager to please but ultimately unable to move us forward...

Here's a good read which I think is relevant to this thread http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35955616

In particular the last paragraph is point Deeney makes, it reads:

Deeney: "The support that Leicester get at the King Power Stadium is the kind of thing that will help them get over the line.

"If the team is nervy, like they were at the back end of Sunday's game, then their fans are not stupid - they realised their team needed them and raised the noise levels again.

"Part of that is down to the thousands of cardboard clappers the club leave out on the seats for fans before games.

"I think that actually started in the Championship play-offs in 2013, when we beat them in the semi-finals.

"I remember it being a bit annoying in the first leg at their place when their fans were using them but, now I am playing in the Premier League, I actually appreciated the noise when we went there.

"I don't want to sound too critical, but a lot of fans at some grounds I go to have got cameras in their hands, taking pictures of anything rather than generating any atmosphere during the game.

"At Leicester, it was all about getting behind their team."

Make of that what you will however, this is coming from a current professional. Clearly the atmosphere at a ground and how the fans react to pressure affects the team.

33 minutes ago, Casio said:

Here's a good read which I think is relevant to this thread http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35955616

In particular the last paragraph is point Deeney makes, it reads:

Deeney: "The support that Leicester get at the King Power Stadium is the kind of thing that will help them get over the line.

"If the team is nervy, like they were at the back end of Sunday's game, then their fans are not stupid - they realised their team needed them and raised the noise levels again.

"Part of that is down to the thousands of cardboard clappers the club leave out on the seats for fans before games.

"I think that actually started in the Championship play-offs in 2013, when we beat them in the semi-finals.

"I remember it being a bit annoying in the first leg at their place when their fans were using them but, now I am playing in the Premier League, I actually appreciated the noise when we went there.

"I don't want to sound too critical, but a lot of fans at some grounds I go to have got cameras in their hands, taking pictures of anything rather than generating any atmosphere during the game.

"At Leicester, it was all about getting behind their team."

Make of that what you will however, this is coming from a current professional. Clearly the atmosphere at a ground and how the fans react to pressure affects the team.

Yes, but at the same time Leicester fans are inspired & entertained by what they see on the pitch because they have a defined way of playing, devised by a manager who knows to put square pegs in square holes & get the best from limited players.  They also have exciting, creative players who are given the licence to be exciting and creative.

But you & @B4ev6is are right, if we shout really loud we'll win every game...

6 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Yes, but at the same time Leicester fans are inspired & entertained by what they see on the pitch because they have a defined way of playing, devised by a manager who knows to put square pegs in square holes & get the best from limited players.  They also have exciting, creative players who are given the licence to be exciting and creative.

But you & @B4ev6is are right, if we shout really loud we'll win every game...

Ouch, very condescending!

It just backs up what I'm saying regards being toxic, moaning fans from a professional footballer. What is your moaning doing about anything? Nothing. Apart from create a **** atmosphere for players to play in.

Remember the Forest game? We weren't playing well at all but because the fans wanted a result against Forest, backed the team until the final whistle. Very different to the rest of the games we play at home if we're not winning come 60 minutes in.

1 minute ago, Casio said:

Ouch, very condescending!

It just backs up what I'm saying regards being toxic, moaning fans from a professional footballer. What is your moaning doing about anything? Nothing. Apart from create a **** atmosphere for players to play in.

Remember the Forest game? We weren't playing well at all but because the fans wanted a result against Forest, backed the team until the final whistle. Very different to the rest of the games we play at home if we're not winning come 60 minutes in.

Unless the players are reading all my posts, f00k all because I don't boo or get on players backs at a game, I support until the final whistle, or until the result is a given and I want to miss the traffic.  The point is lots of chanting and shouts of "Come on!" won't get you as far as playing a good style of football with players that deserve to be on the pitch...

1 hour ago, ramsbottom said:

Unless the players are reading all my posts, f00k all because I don't boo or get on players backs at a game, I support until the final whistle, or until the result is a given and I want to miss the traffic.  The point is lots of chanting and shouts of "Come on!" won't get you as far as playing a good style of football with players that deserve to be on the pitch...

Really!? Good point that is stating the obvious.

Answer me this then, do you think that the fans sighing every time a pass doesn't meet it's target encourages the players to play a 'good style of football' or not? Or do you think it's more likely to make the player think, '**** this I'm not being mugged off for trying something and it not coming off, I'll just do the simple things and then I won't get rubbish from the fans'?

I don't think anyone has suggested fans can control results or quality of football. I don't know why some are trying to make out that's what's being said here. It wasn't. 

But it has an influence on things like pressure and energy/adrenaline. 

And those things effect the players. 

You have 30,000 people let out a huge groan when you and your team make an error and you notice. You feel the mistake more.

Have 30,000 people applauding everything you do right and it gives you a spring in your step. You get a buzz off it. 

We can be part of the problem or part of the solution. 

And we choose to apply pressure and stress. And when that's pointed out it seems we are more vulnerable to criticism than the players are. 

17 hours ago, PrivateDerby said:

Got a 'voicemail' from Chris Martin and Bradley Johnson yesterday kindly reminding me to renew before 4 o'clock, pressed 3 before it ended, that saddened me.

It's not that I can't afford it, but it's a big expense I know I can put to better use, the lads I go with have said the same.

If the players had shown an inch of passion this season I'd have renewed but they haven't. 

I don't like the smarmy smug set up that have somehow managed to undo all of the good work Cloughie and The Mac did, shocking! No direction whatsoever...

I hope we can stay in the playoffs but I don't hold much hope.

Up the Rams...

I've been more worried about PrivateDerby not being about on here. 

Hope is the word, and the key, and we will always carry that hope around with us all until we die.

I said on here when Nigel was sacked, that we'd be nowhere further forward in the division 5 years later except we will have spent a shed load of cash getting nowhere fast, and undoing all his great work. I do hope I am wrong.

Up The Rams.......and PrivateDerby is a top bloke and that's all that matters.

We Love You Derby We Do, We Love You Derby We Do, Oh Derby We Love You.

Archived