"I've been a Derby fan now for 100,000 years...

wixman1884

7 minutes ago, TrueLou said:

Is this the thread where I can look down on the unwashed masses and laugh at their stupidity while inflating my own sense of self superiority? 

Works for me

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

in not superior in any way, I just don't think whipping up a load of anger and indignation is cool beans :p

I'm not angry either, but I am concerned, and I understand why others are too.

Ripping into them, berating them and questioning their intelligence could also be said to be whipping up anger and indignation, so I don't see how this helps. 

5/6 years ago we got smashed at home by Ssausagehorpe & Doncaster & lost at Crawley in the FA Cup & had absolutely nothing to get excited about. Now we have fans who won't renew their ST because we're only 5th , Jeez. Give me these seasons anytime over those recent dark days. I've bloody loved these last 3 seasons & I can't wait for the next one

1 hour ago, wixman1884 said:

and I have to say this is the first year I've considered not renewing my season ticket."

This seemed to be the general theme of the phone in tonight. What utter toss. In the relatively short space of time that I've been a Derby fan, this doesn't even make it into the top 5 crises we've been through. We have a great, albeit underperforming squad, an average but passionate manager in the position till the end of the season and we're poised for a crack at the play offs. I'm not saying everything is perfect, but some people's overreaction and level of entitlement is repugnant. 

Whats the plan? Burn down the iPro? 30,000 person mass suicide at the next home game?

What's the best way of letting the powers that be know that our uninspiring choice of stand in manager has been... uninspiring? because I really don't think they've got the message yet. 

You populist whore. If the negative posters on here knew how to use the "like" button I bet you'd be just as willing to pander to them.:lol:

Where did this anger and bitterness toward Darren Wassall come from?

I've tried to think about it, read all the vitriolic, nasty, personal, abusive comments, looked at what the root cause of the venom might be......and i'm stuck. I just don't get it. Its as if some fans were waiting for some one to hate, someone to blame for not being in the top two.

I understand the frustration of some of the signings, I'm totally perplexed by one or two of them and feel we have wasted some serious cash and bloated the squad unnecessarily destroying what was a brilliant team spirit - but none of that is Wassall's fault.

I believe that the reason for the hate (because that's how it comes over from those that are criticising him) is because he 's not "cool". He reminds people of Nigel Clough maybe, fairly ordinary sounding bloke, the sort that lives in your street or works with you.

Clement was never turned on by most fans because he was different, looked the part, had worked at Real Madrid, PSG and Chelsea - he must be good, he has kudos...he's worked with Cristiano Ronaldo ffs....

I've come to the conclusion that some of us want a big name, want to be able to brag to non-DCFC mates that our manager is cool, its as if being from a glamorous background is more important than actual ability.

Some of the personal stuff that Clough got was pathetic and now its Wassall's turn.

The last 10minutes apart, Rotherham was the best we've looked for a long time. If DW recreates that performance against the gumps we'll destroy them and look forward to going into the play offs in good form.

I don't know what today's revelations about Redknapp mean. I hope its not Mel pandering to this need for a so called big name, someone to appease the ones who seem on the brink of complete meltdown every time we don't win unless the manager is cool/famous....

All I hope is that somehow, people who turn up on Saturday can be uncool enough to actually get behind the team rather than wait for the first mistake to unleash their vitriol.

I don't get the hatred towards Darren Wassall either. I've been a season ticket holder for 35 years and I don't think that I've ever seen a manager be picked on so quickly and with so little justification. 

Why not try looking on the positive side? It doesn't mean you have to be deluded, but a positive attitude helps, and there are plenty of good things about our club, even with these blips at the moment. 

13 minutes ago, ck- said:

I don't get the hatred towards Darren Wassall either. I've been a season ticket holder for 35 years and I don't think that I've ever seen a manager be picked on so quickly and with so little justification. 

Why not try looking on the positive side? It doesn't mean you have to be deluded, but a positive attitude helps, and there are plenty of good things about our club, even with these blips at the moment. 

Yeah, its the speed the nastiness suddenly appeared that shocked me.

30 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Where did this anger and bitterness toward Darren Wassall come from?

I've tried to think about it, read all the vitriolic, nasty, personal, abusive comments, looked at what the root cause of the venom might be......and i'm stuck. I just don't get it. Its as if some fans were waiting for some one to hate, someone to blame for not being in the top two.

I understand the frustration of some of the signings, I'm totally perplexed by one or two of them and feel we have wasted some serious cash and bloated the squad unnecessarily destroying what was a brilliant team spirit - but none of that is Wassall's fault.

I believe that the reason for the hate (because that's how it comes over from those that are criticising him) is because he 's not "cool". He reminds people of Nigel Clough maybe, fairly ordinary sounding bloke, the sort that lives in your street or works with you.

Clement was never turned on by most fans because he was different, looked the part, had worked at Real Madrid, PSG and Chelsea - he must be good, he has kudos...he's worked with Cristiano Ronaldo ffs....

I've come to the conclusion that some of us want a big name, want to be able to brag to non-DCFC mates that our manager is cool, its as if being from a glamorous background is more important than actual ability.

Some of the personal stuff that Clough got was pathetic and now its Wassall's turn.

The last 10minutes apart, Rotherham was the best we've looked for a long time. If DW recreates that performance against the gumps we'll destroy them and look forward to going into the play offs in good form.

I don't know what today's revelations about Redknapp mean. I hope its not Mel pandering to this need for a so called big name, someone to appease the ones who seem on the brink of complete meltdown every time we don't win unless the manager is cool/famous....

All I hope is that somehow, people who turn up on Saturday can be uncool enough to actually get behind the team rather than wait for the first mistake to unleash their vitriol.

I agree that Clement got away with a lot because football hipsters are wowed by some of the clubs on his CV. I don't actually think this was a particular problem with Derby fans, but the wider football community's reaction to his sacking wound me up as it was evident that many of them simply read his wikipedia entry and felt entitled to pontificate without doing the bare minimum amount of research into what he actually did at Derby. Clement did speak quite well though. He came across as knowledgeable and authoritative in the majority of interviews and unfortunately the same can't be said about Wassall. Some of his interviews and reactions to events have been quite bizarre and I can see why this worries/annoys certain fans.

I guarantee you will be disappointed regarding your final point. I'm actually still quite enjoying this season and I enjoyed the game against Rotherham, but I'm dreading the final home games. The fans have turned and unless we win every game comfortably there will be an awful atmosphere at Pride Park.

3 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Yeah, its the speed the nastiness suddenly appeared that shocked me.

We went from DW's barmy army, to **** off Wassall you're a **** at record pace Saturday.

Thank god for New York, New York while walking down the stairs, cheered me up no end. 

I'd like a secret place on the forum where sane people can discuss things and post sensibly. Just got in and haven't read the 50+page other threads, but can imagine what they're saying. But this one has restored my faith in some kind of silent sensible Derby-loving majority.

Carry on!

2 hours ago, Eatonram said:

Ah at last.

And how many times did we have to hear "We the Fans want this... or All the the fans think this...

BTW brilliant post Wixman.

I just feel for Mel. It was only two months ago that "He's one of us.." was ringing round the ground and now there are fans on here that would be outside the Ipro with pitch forks and lit torches if we don't win on Saturday.

The irony is it was probably the self same people calling for Clement to be sacked at the end of August.

It isn't the club that's a laughing stock, its increasingly a section of our fans (sadly)

I recently thought about what being "one of our owns means"

All I could come up with , is Lionel pickering, darren wassall, Mel morris and dare I say lee camp is this :

As one of our own we shall crucify them to an inch of their life, and they will come out hating us the public... and rightly so.

I think darren got himself into trouble with his various after-match interview comments.

i actually stuck up for him and his interview after rotherham because i think in the heat of the moment with adrenalin pumping around etc it is very difficult to be eloquent and dispassionate and rational.

I even noted that some of you were over reacting after the match.

i think the anger at dropping two points is as OTT after Rotherham as the act of a chairman walking into the dressing room and letting rip after a home draw with Reading. Yes its disappointing etc etc but we've been here before - e.g. two late goals v brum, and sheffield wednesday in recent times. Furthermore whatever the tactical errors, both the first and second goals could easily have been disallowed for fouls.

However, i agree with truelou that the decision making is a cause for concern and people are entitled to question what is going on and whether - taking a step back - we are heading in the right direction.

Blind faith is all very well but a critical friend is probably of more value ultimately.

the best thing about sam's interview was that he acknowledged the doubt and the scepticism and appeared to listen.

Having reflected on tonight, and hearing the fans views, and what Sam had to say.

I now have one question i wish i could ask.... even though the truth probably wouldnt be told and that is...

How exactly did Mel and PCs views differ which led to them feeling the need to part company.

If PC had only a short term view (ie he wanted promotion this year at all costs), and Mel wants player improvement through coaching, (im guessing our current players to get better) does this point to the January signings which have hardly been used after signing, and which might be tagged "a waste of money".

i'd love to know.

4 hours ago, jagerbob said:

Having reflected on tonight, and hearing the fans views, and what Sam had to say.

I now have one question i wish i could ask.... even though the truth probably wouldnt be told and that is...

How exactly did Mel and PCs views differ which led to them feeling the need to part company.

If PC had only a short term view (ie he wanted promotion this year at all costs), and Mel wants player improvement through coaching, (im guessing our current players to get better) does this point to the January signings which have hardly been used after signing, and which might be tagged "a waste of money".

i'd love to know.

That's the burning question, and I have no doubt that you wouldn't have gotten a satisfactory answer. I don't think we'll ever know what happened.

Mel's hinted at philosophical differences, but they probably butted heads multiple times over the season and the poor run of results gave Mel a window to get rid. 

Archived