Rotherham United vs Derby County

DarkFruitsRam7

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 09/03/2016 at 21:58, wingfieldram said:

Cannot believe what I witnessed today. I thought we looked good until the subs came on. I was feeling happy and optimistic.  We were even singing "Darren Wassells barmy army". Ince was class. Even Hendrick was playing really well.....and then bish bash bosh,  two barmy substitutions and Billy Smarts Circus was in town. I turned from being a very happy chappy to a very deflated Mr Angry. I thought the Birmingham capitulation last season was bad, but this really scrapes the barrell.

I just want to get sloshed, but have to go to work in the morning , so will just have a few pints to top me up from this afternoons session.

Whats happening?

49 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Three months ago I never thought I would be saying this but I feel worse than I did after last seasons' collapse, even though we still have the possibility of the playoffs.

Much though it pains me to say it, I place the responsibility for that 100% on the shoulders of Mel Morris. Whilst his vision of club stability and having a youth policy in place to feed talent through into the first team squad is laudible in the medium to long term, you cannot put someone in charge of team affairs with a third of the season still to play who is patently out of his depth at this level.

Real fans are not stupid, they support this Club with heart and passion and the least they can expect is to have people at the top who should realise that as much as we want to look forward to an exciting future and being able to hopefully become a stable Premier League club, we shouldn't lose sight that we are in the here and now! There are no guarantees that his blueprint for the future of Derby County will come to fruition in the next few years but for the remainder of this season at least, we are being asked to basically grin and bear it, as if this is what we have to expect. Well, I for one am not happy!

I feel a bit sorry for Wassall since he's the one taking most of the flack but he's doing himself no favours with some of (or most of) his post-match comments. The Chairman has put him in charge so he could hardly have said "no thanks" but he's just not up to the job - is that his fault or the Chairman, I know who I think is to blame for the current air of indifference surrounding the club!

Wolfie, you are right to highlight the culpability of the Board for the debacle we now find ourselves in with a temporary coach who seems out of his depth.  There has also been much confusion about our objectives - lofty talk of building for the long term and then a short-termist panic attack, getting rid of Clement after a poor run without having a successor lined up.  We will not get into the Premier League without clarity and consistency from the owners, and without a settled management team that can channel their drive and vision to the players, week in and week out.  If Mel had run his business the way he is running Derby County, he would not have succeeded, and he knows it.

In the first RD interview in January after Waffall descended to the throne, OB asked him what formation he intended to use. Waffall replied that he was not interested in formations, they do not matter.

After 65 years watching First Division football and deluding myself into thinking that I had acquired a paltry knowledge of the game, I thought that either me or Waffle must be bonkers.

I now know it is him. Such a relief.

Given his philosophy (or lack of it), Offal should have brought on Jake and Hanson and told them to stand on our goal line for 10 minutes either side of Carson. So he is entirely to blame.

I also notice that he refused to apologise to the fans today - whereas Bryson immediately did. My respect for the latter has soared.

Carson: 5 - decent save at the start, then nothing to do for the next 75 minutes. Maybe could've done better for either of the last two goals? I couldn't tell from the opposite end but he got a hand to both.

Christie: 6 - got forward well, good low crosses to set up Martin for his open goal miss and for the second goal. Linked up well with since but perhaps naive at the end by bombing on and giving the ball away.

Keogh: 4 - can play as well as he likes for the majority of the game but his pass for their first goal was a joke. If that doesn't happen we're all happier and Wassall is the Brummie Guardiola.

Shackell: 4 - awful on the ball and recently he has been awful off it. Defence has to play ten yards deeper because he turns slower than milk. Bought him to help defend direct teams and we still can't. If he really told Wassall to **** off and didn't applaud then that's unforgivable for me, as petty and reactionary as that is. If you've played like that then you come over to the fans.

Olsson: 5 - kept the ball alive for the opening goal. Other than that I can't remember him doing anything positive or negative.

Thorne: 7 - kept the ball, swept up well and knew when to go forward. His best game in a while.

Hendrick: 7 - good positive running and linked well up front. Held on to the ball too long at times but overall did well.

Bryson: 7 - full of energy and good link up without ever really doing a lot. Really good interview at the end as well.

Ince: 8 - really really good again, unselfish, clever, willing to go on either foot. Must wonder what he's doing with some of these ***** he plays with. Imagine he was having horrible flashbacks to the end of last season.

Johnson: 7 - usually his biggest critic but his best performance in ages. Where has he been? I think his license to roam did him the world of good, lots of aggression and lots of forward thinking play

Martin: 9 - really good. Dropped off well, lots of good movement and nice play around the box. Could've had a hat trick. It's nice to have the real Martin back.

Subs: 3 - waste of time.

23 minutes ago, ValeRam said:

Have you ever played team sports Notting ?

Imagine playing a game,  in any team, in any sport, anywhere in the world

Say you were doing really well - you were playing to an agreed structure, one you had been practising and had become comfortable with in the days before your game.Your individual teams members were playing well, as well as for a long time. It was all looking good, the game would soon be over.

You then find,in an instant, with no discussion or prior communication, that the structure (that had been working so well) had been abandoned. It hadn't been replaced with something else. It had been abandoned. There now was no structure. 

At exactly the same time, two of your best players were taken off the pitch. They were two of your talisman, and they had been doing particularly well in the game so far : - they had been important in getting you to the good position in the game that you had found yourself in. And they were fundamental to the success of  that particular structure which had been so successful for your team in the game so far.

At exactly the same time, two new players came on the pitch to play for your team. These players had been struggling for a long, long time to demonstrate the quality that was necessary to make the grade in your team. Neither of them could have been said to be either on-form, confident in their own ability or their ability to contribute fully to the team. Neither of them were playing in the same position as the two had left the pitch at the same time. And now there was no structure. So the two new ones didn't know what their role in the team was meant to be.

At exactly the same time, the manager of the other team suddenly pricked his ears. His deep and long association with the game that you were playing meant that he quickly saw a possible way out of what had, only seconds before, seemed an impossible situation for his own team. As luck would have it, this manager had a well-earned reputation for being able to galvanise huge energy, commitment and momentum from the members of his team, at times against seemingly impossible odds, often from players with a lower technical ability at that sport than their opponents. So he saw an opportunity and quickly communicated with his team to give their all at this critical moment in the game.

Your team mates, only a few minutes before playing with a confidence they had not enjoyed for some time, began to remember some similar events that had happened repeatedly over the previous 5 or 6 weeks. Pretty well all these events had soon afterwards led to some bad things happening. And they realised, to their horror, that exactly the same mistakes that had been made time and again over that period of time had just been made again. The exact same mistakes.

Suddenly, the other team started to make significant inroads into changing the outcome of the game that moments before seemed utterly inconceivable. Confidence and composure quickly evaporated. No-one seemed to know what the 'plan' was and what their part in achieving it was.

Perhaps its not just the players who are culpable, Notting ?  Perhaps, in fact, it was almost nothing to do with them that this happened ?

I can fully appreciate and accept that Wassall shouldn't have made the changes that he did. They smacked of inexperience and a little bit of over excitation.

But it isn't why we drew the game. 

At any level that you play at if you concede three goals in eight minutes the players have to take responsibility. It's fine to not want Wassall in the job (I happen to also think this) but blaming him today just comes across as desperate point scoring.

Brilliant 3-0 then get absolutly pumped in the last few mins 

we should be seeing games out, corner flag, time wasting, faking injuries not letting three in

it your leading with hardly anytime left and someones running or got the better of you take a yellow card.

i dont necessarily agree with what ive said in terms of it being right but sometimes its the sad fact of what you have to do to see out a football match and can be the difference between winning or losing or in this case drawing 

Told you all right at the start on the matchday thread,do not underestimate Warnock.I blame him for todays trainwreck,he is shrewd and can motivate.I would love to hear his take on the game.Don't be to harsh on wassall against Colin he never had a chance man v boy.

5 minutes ago, Miller28 said:

Don't be bitter lads, if you dish it out you've gotta be able to take it as well! Always liked Derby though, hope you go up through the playoffs!

Do you think you will stay up pal?,just asking,nice stadium though pal,enjoyed the day out,apart from the last ten minutes,beer was okay as well in the cutlers !

all in all would deffo come again!

I still don't know what to say, been out for a couple of hours and still don't know what to think about it.

better team for 80 minutes, 3-0 up, absolutely cruising and then... chaos. 

This team needs a manager simple as that.. Birmingham last season, the playoff final, the meltdown towards the end of last season, the decline this season and this game just tops it all off, the cherry on the cake of utter madness. 

Nigel Pearson please Mel, no more fannying about ffs. 

Just now, RamNut said:

Concentrate on the positives........er............um..........

great game for the neutral?

Funny you should say that. I sat next to a WBA fan on the bus going to the match. He was going to the game as a neutral and had got tickets in the Rotherham end. He told me how difficult it was for him to get a ticket for the game.  He was telling me how bad the football is at the Hawthorns under Pulis. I think he'll have enjoyed the game today. 

5 minutes ago, Rams forever said:

Do you think you will stay up pal?,just asking,nice stadium though pal,enjoyed the day out,apart from the last ten minutes,beer was okay as well in the cutlers !

all in all would deffo come again!

If we carry on the way we're playing at the moment then I'm sure we will, we've got both MK Dons and Bristol City to play away so those games will settle it, would love another season in the Championship though!

Hopefully you'll make the playoff final and smash Sheffield Wednesday 5-0, nothing would please me more! :lol:

Without going into a rant as I could quite easily I'll keep it short. If your 3-0 up at 80 mins and you let Rotherham score 3 goals, there is no hope for the playoffs. I'll even go as far as to say we won't even make the playoffs. Absolutely criminal. 

5 minutes ago, Miller28 said:

If we carry on the way we're playing at the moment then I'm sure we will, we've got both MK Dons and Bristol City to play away so those games will settle it, would love another season in the Championship though!

Hopefully you'll make the playoff final and smash Sheffield Wednesday 5-0, nothing would please me more! :lol:

Good luck for the rest of the season and hope your right on both accounts!

Archived