Paul looks ok.

Curtains

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, curtains said:

07tFPxV1.jpg

Of course he looks happy, that pics over 12 months old, before he ruined his burgeoning reputation by taking a team renowned for it's free flowing attacking mantra and sucking the life out of it with his over reliance on possession and sideways passing.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make...

8 minutes ago, Brighton Ram said:

I don't think we've done Clemmo's reputation any harm at all - the wider footballing community seems to think we're mental for sacking him.

This seems to be the wider view outside the DCFC 'bubble', will become even more so if we miss out on the play-offs.

What a load of toss.

We should have sacked McClaren (his position was clearly untenable), we shouldn't have employed Clement (benefit of hindsight on that one), we should have sacked Clement (no wins in 2016, boring football, and clearly lots of clashing behind the scenes), we should have employed Wassall (as stated above, academy has come on leaps and bounds). 

I'm still not exactly sure where all the perceived recklessness is - I still think Wassall was probably the best choice to take over temporarily providing we have a decent appointment lined up in the summer. Results have improved (3 wins!) - I don't know who expected us to be immediately world beaters as soon as Clement went, but that's a little unrealistic. 

11 minutes ago, wixman1884 said:

What a load of toss.

We should have sacked McClaren (his position was clearly untenable), we shouldn't have employed Clement (benefit of hindsight on that one), we should have sacked Clement (no wins in 2016, boring football, and clearly lots of clashing behind the scenes), we should have employed Wassall (as stated above, academy has come on leaps and bounds). 

I'm still not exactly sure where all the perceived recklessness is - I still think Wassall was probably the best choice to take over temporarily providing we have a decent appointment lined up in the summer. Results have improved (3 wins!) - I don't know who expected us to be immediately world beaters as soon as Clement went, but that's a little unrealistic. 

I find it hard to believe that we wouldn't have got 3 wins from this run of games under Clement anyway. So what, he went on a bad run. It was only 8 games. If clubs sacked a manager every time they had a run of poor form (seem to remember 5 of them were draws anyway?), 80% of clubs would start the next season with a new manager!

I think we should have given Clement the season at least, whether Mel was happy with the style of football or not. 

2 minutes ago, Chris Mills said:

I find it hard to believe that we wouldn't have got 3 wins from this run of games under Clement anyway. So what, he went on a bad run. It was only 8 games. If clubs sacked a manager every time they had a run of poor form (seem to remember 5 of them were draws anyway?), 80% of clubs would start the next season with a new manager!

I think we should have given Clement the season at least, whether Mel was happy with the style of football or not. 

It wasn't just the style of play that got him sacked.

Just now, TheDeadlySaul said:

It wasn't just the style of play that got him sacked.

True, but I don't buy into some of the reasons. For example to me it doesn't matter how many Championship games he went to watch, I'm sure he had scouts at games that fed back to him. Just as you wouldn't expect him to turn up on the park to pick out U12 players for the academy.

As with any job some things have to be left down to other people, and it's up to him to choose what he spends his time on.

In my opinion the main factors that got him sacked were:

• Style of play
  • A poor run of form
  • Didn't integrate U21 players

Of these 3 I'd say that the final one is the only one Mel should really be concerned with after 2/3 of a season, and he could have put an end to it himself by pulling the plug on the transfers in the summer. Not to mention the fact that Wassall and the youth coaching staff also have a responsibility to get the players in there. 

At the end of the day Clement picked the squad that he thought would win the game. If he thought a signing would be stronger than an U21 player then thats fine. After all, why wouldn't we put out the strongest squad possible just for the sake of letting some academy propects "have a go"? Interestingly, the only time style of play was ever brought up as a concern was when we didn't win or went on that run of poor form. I wonder if (using a crude example) Barcelona suddenly lost 10 games in a row, would their fans complain about the style of play? Probably. Man United is a good example. If they were top of the league would people be complaining? Nope.

Back to U21s, even Wassall, the big wig of the academy, hasn't integrated a single U21 player that didn't get some game time under Clement! So why aren't people mentioning this?

In my opinion a lot of people on here have had the wool pulled over their eyes a meeting at moor farm based upon second hand information has been passed down by the few that attended. 

Whilst I am now giving Wassall time to prove himself, I don't see how sacking Clement was the right decision still and would rather him still be at the club than Wassall as Head Coach. 

The formations are the same, the players are the same, the tactics are very similar. Nothing has changed other than the fact we had a coach that had experience with the best players in the world to a coach that has trained developing players. 

Hope Wassall does well, hope he takes us to the PL and keeps the job for 10 years. But that doesn't mean that sacking Clement was right.

I'm sure he's quite glad to be out of it all If I'm honest. He never looked as though he was actually enjoying the job anyway. He must have been sitting having a beer & smiling last night while listening to us lose at QPR. Thinking well they haven't exactly improved much since he was sacked. Then he probably open his latest bank statement & smiled even more.

2 minutes ago, wixman1884 said:

Umm... no, no really it doesn't. 

No hindsight is that he should have been given the full season to see out what he was doing, and not had extra pressure from the chairman that undermined him.

Amazing that results were citied by so many as not being a reason to sack him, and now are being banded around so freely to try and enchante DWs reputation.  The football being served up under DW is dire, it's back to the days of Nigel, where the crowds dwindled and all optimism had been drained from the club.  We are sitting 5th in the league, and yet there are fans few and far between that believe we will make an impact on the play offs, if we even make them.   We are being outplayed by Huddersfield, QPR, MK Dons and other mediocre teams consistently and there does not appear to be any change to the playing style for the 1st to the 6th game.   

Archived