Interesting

Mostyn6

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I think back to my school days (mid 80's) and there were loads of kids who were probably dyslexic but were just dumped in a remedial class & for ever stigmatised as being a "Rem". Add to that those who I'm sure now would be diagnosed as on the autistic spectrum - It's awful to think the number of kids who were written off because they were perceived to be stupid.

My son's dyslexic, but it only affects his writing. Apparently, he has problems forming the characters, and by the time he's written it, his mind's several words on, which doesn't help. It's quite difficult to read what he's written. Also, when using a keyboard, he fails to see spelling errors.

The really strange thing is, he has absolutely no problem with reading, and has a phenominal vocabulary and memory.

Despite this 'disadvantage', he has an honours degree, and a PhD in Mobile interaction Design.

Weird.

5 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

My son's dyslexic, but it only affects his writing. Apparently, he has problems forming the characters, and by the time he's written it, his mind's several words on, which doesn't help. It's quite difficult to read what he's written. Also, when using a keyboard, he fails to see spelling errors.

The really strange thing is, he has absolutely no problem with reading, and has a phenominal vocabulary and memory.

Despite this 'disadvantage', he has an honours degree, and a PhD in Mobile interaction Design.

Weird.

yep that's me, sounds like your son has done great things and is creative which is also associated with dyslexia :D

Very interesting link @Mostyn6. I have worked with kids with dyslexia and I saw it was a struggle for some of them at times to do the most basic of assignments due to this disorder. Some have mild cases of it and some have severe cases of it. Key is just to be patient and understanding to those you know that have it.

15 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

Weird.

Based on your posting style and the fact you're talking about your son, I spent most of this post assuming he's about 10, until the very end.

Quite an achievement to earn a doctorate before secondary school.

1 hour ago, Wolfie said:

When I think back to my school days (mid 80's) and there were loads of kids who were probably dyslexic but were just dumped in a remedial class & for ever stigmatised as being a "Rem". Add to that those who I'm sure now would be diagnosed as on the autistic spectrum - It's awful to think the number of kids who were written off because they were perceived to be stupid.

Totally agree - and I'm a similar era, but imagine how much worse it was in previous generations?

I remember that dyslexia was just starting to be spoken about in the mid-80s. One of my best mates at school was deemed to be  "atrocious at spelling" but massively intelligent in every other way. No one could understand it - then he got diagnosed as dyslexic. The first time I'd ever heard of it.

My mum & dad's generation, those kids, at best, would have just been kicked out of school at 15 and took menial jobs

9 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Based on your posting style and the fact you're talking about your son, I spent most of this post assuming he's about 10, until the very end.

Quite an achievement to earn a doctorate before secondary school.

Sadly, no. He's 36 this year, but his handwriting's like that of an 8 year old. Seriously.

However, as he has been working on the MoCap for the recently released Star Wars and the new Avengers film, his brain obviously isn't.

I found it interesting and also a little funny how easy that bit was to read for most parts for me. The reason being that English isn't my first language. Every word for me is somewhat unnatural anyway so those words being scrambled is actually nothing new for me. However if you gave me the same text in Finnish scrambled the same way I believe I would have some serious trouble with it. I'm starting to understand B4 even more after this.

On 04/03/2016 at 08:35, Mostyn6 said:

Some of you may find this interesting. I recommend taking a look at this page, if only for ten seconds

http://geon.github.io/programming/2016/03/03/dsxyliea

Wondered what I was missing at first, having read the thread and then clicked on the link. But then I realized that because I don't allow any scripts on my webpages without explicit approval, all I was getting was the basic text.

If anyone actually wants to read the text unimpaired, just turn off javascript (or at least any scripts run by http://geon.github.io) and you get to read the explanation.

Very clever/interesting site.

Saw this the other day. 

I don't know why, but I read through the entire thing and it took me about 10-15 minutes. Once I closed the page to read something else, I was used to seeing letters jumbling about the place when reading and it started to do it on other pages too. I thought it had 'given me dyslexia' (even though I know it doesn't work like that) :lol:

I think the effect on my eyes after reading the page was a better measure of what it must be like to live with dyslexia than the page itself was. Really strange. It really messed my eyes up for a few minutes.

On 4 March 2016 at 15:19, Wolfie said:

I was quite bright, but back in the 70's I was dumped in a remedial class and for ever stigmatised as being a Ram.

19 hours ago, RamboDCFC said:

If that's actually what dyslexics see when they try to read then I feel sorry for them. I've got a headache from just trying to read those few paragraphs.

I'm not dyslexic and have only read into it a little/asked people about it so take this with a pinch of salt - I'm under the impression dyslexia severity waivers from person to person, but the most common form is only similar looking letters jump about, which is what one of the comments on that site is suggesting would make it a better script. So it's probably not quite as bad as that for most, but I'm sure it is for some.

Your point is entirely right though, it's good to give some kind of impression of what it's like, to understand it. I couldn't bear it for more than 5 minutes lol. 

On a similar note, I was talking to a few professors of various medical areas (neurology primarily) recently for work related stuff and in the general chatter we were talking about people who are born blind. We, with sight, imagine that what they see is what we see when we close/cover our eyes - blackness - (and that is what people who've gone blind after being able to see, see, apparently) but those born blind don't see blackness. They see nothing. 

I thought that was interesting, even though I naturally couldn't fully comprehend it. 

21 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

We, with sight, imagine that what they see is what we see when we close/cover our eyes - blackness - (and that is what people who've gone blind after being able to see, see, apparently) but those born blind don't see blackness. They see nothing. 

I thought that was interesting, even though I naturally couldn't fully comprehend it. 

I've wondered about this, though haven't talked to anyone in the field, so only have my own musings to go on but how does anyone know what blind people experience? - and how can blind people describe it in a way that sighted people can understand?. How can a person born blind say that they don't see black, when they can't possibly understand what black is - or any other colour or shape that they've never seen.

I listened to an Infinite Monkey Cage podcast about reality and how we experience the world - even from the simple stuff like what I see as the colour blue is possibly very different to anyone else. Our eyes only see a very small area at any one time and our brain constantly fills in the gaps and makes assumptions on what the rest is.

Also they think that what we consciously experience as "reality" is constantly about half a second behind what is actually happening. this is because our senses all work at different speeds (hearing is faster than sight - hence why we use starter pistols at races), so our brian takes about half a second to process all of the information from our senses and present it to our conscious mind as "reality".

Off topic but interesting.

10 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

I've wondered about this, though haven't talked to anyone in the field, so only have my own musings to go on but how does anyone know what blind people experience? - and how can blind people describe it in a way that sighted people can understand?. How can a person born blind say that they don't see black, when they can't possibly understand what black is - or any other colour or shape that they've never seen.

I listened to an Infinite Monkey Cage podcast about reality and how we experience the world - even from the simple stuff like what I see as the colour blue is possibly very different to anyone else. Our eyes only see a very small area at any one time and our brain constantly fills in the gaps and makes assumptions on what the rest is.

Also they think that what we consciously experience as "reality" is constantly about half a second behind what is actually happening. this is because our senses all work at different speeds (hearing is faster than sight - hence why we use starter pistols at races), so our brian takes about half a second to process all of the information from our senses and present it to our conscious mind as "reality".

Off topic but interesting.

Well I think it's a valid tangent, as it's a discussion on the different ways people perceive the world and how we can't know. Like the old schoolyard musing that two people looking at a colour have been taught that colour is blue, but both of them could be looking at different colours without being able to explain it because to everyone it's blue. You know?

On the note of blind people seeing nothing it's more of a theoretic jump. When someone goes blind at some point in their life, their brain is still trying to create the image but is lacking the input from the eyes, so it's blackness. But with someone born blind, the brain isn't trying to create an image at all, so there's no attempt at an image, no attempt at sight, nothing. There are no points of references for things like this, as you say, and it's incomprehensible for us. But a very interesting thought. 

Archived