bang average/ opportunity blown

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, ClaretMatt said:

So go on, how many games have you watched then?  Or if you don't want to go into specifics (nothing shifty there) would you say it's more than a Burnley season ticket holder that occasionally goes to away games?

Back to the stats again.  I never claimed we were a shortpassing possession based side or that we didn't hit long balls but percentage football suggests hit and hope which we aren't.  I asked you to watch the goals and point out all the percentage football, maybe if I ask again it'll be 3rd time lucky?  Or does what you see not tally with the stats, which are clearly the be all and end all of the matter so it's the video that must be wrong.

I wouldn't claim anything about Ipswich, I've only seen them play once all season.

You seem to want to pigeon hole sides into set categories but as a team Burnley really do mix up their approach.  The only thing we do consistently is move through the phases quickly to attack, yes with long passes but also with short passes.  If you watch us play half as much as you're implying you'd know that.

There's plenty of other words that don't have quite the same negative connotations as workmanlike to describe something like that.  Hardworking, effective, efficient but no you went with workmanlike which suggests ugly, hoofball clogging football.

But then I expect that from someone that seems to have a real chip on their shoulder about Burnley...

I'm not watching Burnley not play scrappy kick and chase stuff now. 

Burnley are a team that grind out results week after week, just like the first half today against Blackburn probably the poorer side but winning 1-0. Once their ahead their happy as their incredibly strong at the back with a goalkeeper who I've never seen have a bad game. Not particularly pretty perhaps but ideal & relentless way of getting promoted from this league.

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

I'm not watching Burnley not play scrappy kick and chase stuff now. 

I just knew they'd have a shocker and make me look a right tit.

Can't defend our performance today, we were piss poor and spent the entire game hitting percentage balls.  No problem with admitting that, that's what we did.  I feel sorry for anyone who watched that, Burnley fans included.  The only bits I enjoyed were the penalty and the final whistle.  

However, that wasn't the usual Burnley I see week in week out.

53 minutes ago, ClaretMatt said:

I just knew they'd have a shocker and make me look a right tit.

Can't defend our performance today, we were piss poor and spent the entire game hitting percentage balls.  No problem with admitting that, that's what we did.  I feel sorry for anyone who watched that, Burnley fans included.  The only bits I enjoyed were the penalty and the final whistle.  

However, that wasn't the usual Burnley I see week in week out.

they only play like that on the telly then?

23 hours ago, ClaretMatt said:

Our previous televised fixture was Brentford, so no.

You were excellent against Brentford and you when I watch you I think you play more like Hull then Ipswich. More direct, but not with solely long balls, but with quick long passes to get the ball in the box as fast as possible. 

And I've always had a soft touch for Burnley as I have some relatives from there and went I to Wembley in play-off final against Sheffield United with that Wade Elliot screamer. 

17 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Burnley are the poorest team in the champership this season.

Another class post from B4.

I hate them as much as you mate, especially given our record over them in the last 5 years.

But like it or not, they play the 4-4-2 effectively, really solid in goal and in the defensive positions and have a real goal scoring CF.

3 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

Another class post from B4.

I hate them as much as you mate, especially given our record over them in the last 5 years.

But like it or not, they play the 4-4-2 effectively, really solid in goal and in the defensive positions and have a real goal scoring CF.

A bit like Leicester

2 hours ago, davenportram said:

I think we have been pretty poor and I've missed only two home games.

Fair play - I tend to go to the away ones in the South/London and we haven't done too badly in those with the exception of Pompey (which I didn't pay too much attention to). Of the televised ones I've seen.....

Forest away - dreadful

Hull away - a good spell then closed the game out

Sheff Weds away - poor but resilient

Burnley away - pfft

Manure home - outclassed

Wolves away - as bad as forest

which is a pretty motley selection of performances :(

Archived