bang average/ opportunity blown

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, toddy said:

Well in the last 11 games we have managed 10pts from 33 available, so dropped 23 pts and we are still 5th and only 7 pts off automatics. 

This does means the other teams above us are as Shiite as us, otherwise the gap would be much larger than the current 7 pts - as this is based around 33 pts available in that time frame.

Surely you would need to factor in the points at the start of that 11 game run, where we had 1 loss in 19 previously.

55 minutes ago, toddy said:

Well in the last 11 games we have managed 10pts from 33 available, so dropped 23 pts and we are still 5th and only 7 pts off automatics. 

This does means the other teams above us are as Shiite as us, otherwise the gap would be much larger than the current 7 pts - as this is based around 33 pts available in that time frame.

Blimey is it that bad over the last eleven games, I've been frighten to look if I'm honest.

Although Boro aren't much better than us 8 points from the last 24 points.

Neither is automatic promotion form, that's why when you examine Burnley, Hull, & Brighton squads & their match form on the field of play. For me the automatic places will go to two of those three. But I've been known to be wrong before ?.

maybe it's not mels choice to not get a manager til the summer. If it was a big name like Rodgers doubt he would come in at the sage we are at now. A top manager would more than likely want to start a fresh with aputting his stamp on the team

1 minute ago, King Kevin said:

It's not an opportunity blown as promotion is not a priority it was clearly stated at the start of the season.

Yes but it seems to be everyone else's in our league I would think ?.

5 minutes ago, TETRA said:

Yes but it seems to be everyone else's in our league I would think ?.

For the life of me I can't understand any club in The Championship that spends over £25 million in just ONE season, which is probably more than any club has every spent in the second tier of English Football, & then keeps saying promotion this season isn't a

PRIORITY ?.

Unless Mel has someone in mind who is not available until the summer, we are probably going about this the wrong way. A really good manager, if one is lucky enough to find someone who can turn these players into a team would be better off coming in before the end of the season. Otherwise it is likely that it will take time to get some rhythm and this will give our competitors a n early advantage. If we had simply won our home games we would be challenging for the automatic spots.

It does prove though that even though the rest of the teams at the top are nothing special, out of all those who reside in the top 10 who would u put your hard earned cash on for us to beat over 2 legs? Me......

Birmingham defo

Ipswich most defo 

Brighton because we always beat them in the PO's

Preston abso defo 

Brentford yes

Hull no. Burnley and Boro...do me a favour. Sheff W tricky.

49 minutes ago, TETRA said:

For the life of me I can't understand any club in The Championship that spends over £25 million in just ONE season, which is probably more than any club has every spent in the second tier of English Football, & then keeps saying promotion this season isn't a

PRIORITY ?.

Because when we last got promoted with a team that didn't play the right way, we got slaughtered in the Premiership. 

The logic is sound - get promoted with a team that plays the right way and only needs some minor additions to be competitive in a higher league. 

I'm not particularly impressed with the way that model is being delivered, but I do agree with the principle. 

The classic "we don't want promotion" quote appears in another thread.

Amazes me. 

If I said I was coaching your kids and the objective was to make them better footballers. To understand their own roles and positions and then to learn the roles and positions of all other players so they can understand how they can effect how another player might perform. To learn how to play in tight situations. To never 'get rid' of the ball. Because the aim isn't to win today. The aim is to improve. Constantly learn and improve and be super confident and unfazed by errors. So that winning is easier and natural in the future.

If I said that was what I was teaching young kids what would you say?

I'll tell you what you'd say.

"That guy doesn't want my lad to win"

Because you couldn't see the point if I was poking you in the eye with it. 

Same applies with Derby. 

Billy Davies Barmy Army!!

16 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

When I drive somewhere should my priority be to not kill anyone or should it be to drive safely? 

If you drive safely then you'll get where you're going and the chances of killing someone will be low?

If you just try not to kill someone then you still allow yourself to drive like a dick and one day, maybe not entirely your fault, you'll hurt someone?

Did I pass? 

Annoys me this "we don't want promotion" *****. 

Never. Been. Said.

He spent twenty five million pounds!!! on football players for a team that has been in the play offs for most of the last 2 years. I think he might want promotion!!!

I don't like everything he's done. But his philosophy is spot on in this.

Performance first results follow. Don't look past performances. Because when results slip you're left with nothing. Results always slip. More so if you can't perform.

1 hour ago, simsdcfc said:

Ive got it, ive finaly worked out what mel is upto. Hes waiting for stevie mac to get the sack then hes bringing him back. :lol::ph34r:

I did suggest it to him at the Breakfast Club - no bacon and no sausage make Eddie something something.

1 hour ago, simsdcfc said:

Ive got it, ive finaly worked out what mel is upto. Hes waiting for stevie mac to get the sack then hes bringing him back. :lol::ph34r:

That's just gone through my mind whilst looking at a photo of stevie mac on twitter - lets all swallow our pride and  apologise, we all agree it shouldn't have ended the way it did, we didn't know what we had till it was gone (on both sides I might add) - but - yay - let's have the football back...........

2 hours ago, eddie said:

You cannot compare across seasons on a statistic based upon a fraction of current season - surely you, as a fellow old git, must realise that?

Agreed but I was really only trying to identify that possibly the quality in division is lower than normal, eg nobody has ran away with it. After I wrote what I did I checked back to how it was last season 12 months ago and to be honest there were no outstanding teams at this point in the season, yes there were us, boro, the 3 prpmoted teams and Ipswich , but abit like this season, everybody was beating everybody else, what did happen from March onwards is we fell away and Bornemouth and Watford remained constitant. Norwich hit good form in the last few weeks of the season and remained consistent throughout the play offs.

It still does not take away the fact that if we had collapsed after boxing day, and had continued the consistancy like the previous months then we would be almost over the line now, but dropping 23 pts is ridiculous.

Going back to the original question, not one team has remained consistent throughout the season, everybody has had massive blips, hence why we have dropped 23 pts and are still 5th, 7 pts off top 2.

Archived