bang average/ opportunity blown

1 hour ago, Ram a lamb a ding dong said:

I will say one thing i'd snap your hand off if the ginger one declared himself available

Fair enough. Each to their own.

I don't like watching that sort of football. Don't enjoy it anymore than what we're doing now. 

Some go to football and are happy with any sort of win. Some are happy to win at all costs and will dive and cheat. Some want to be entertained first and win second. 

Personally I'm in the latter. Finishing midtable in the Prem could be midtable anywhere for me. Arsenal away or Rotherham away, the only difference to me is the price as I'm going to watch Derby either way. Money in the Prem? I won't get none. It will cost me more than the Champ!! Fans prices go up! 

I just love watching footballers. The movement, the awareness, the quick feet, the balance. I don't have enough respect for defending. I like to see players having fun, taking chances. If we're not doing that then I'm going out of loyalty rather than enjoyment. And winning is only slightly better than losing. 

When we're doing the stuff I like... I love to see it rewarded. Wins feel "complete". Defeats feel "unjust". 

But we're all different. I've seen how desperate people are to be the best. It doesn't matter how, just winning matters. 

I'll remember Arsenal (Henry, Pires, Vieira etc) for years but I've already forgot the Man United that played after Scholes, Beckham, Giggs etc. 

Wouldn't say it's settling for less. Once the style is in place then winning is hugely rewarding. Losing feels like robbery because you've gone the hard way about it. 

The way we're playing now is neither here or there. It's not football, it's not percentage ball. It's nothing. 

It's actually what many asked for. A team that can mix it up. Which is exactly what we do because we don't have a clue how to stick to one thing. Burnley do

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Ram a lamb a ding dong said:

I will say one thing i'd snap your hand off if the ginger one declared himself available

Violence isn't the answer.

2 hours ago, Alpha said:

I've seen Burnley play lots of times. It's percentage football. Ipswich could probably pull out 5 goals that look like Barcelona but they're still an impressively hard working percentage team. 

I just looked to see if stats can back me up here. Burnley are third for most longballs in the league (Ipswich top, Preston second). Burnley average 47% possession and a 69% pass accuracy. Dribbling? Third from bottom behind Ipswich and Preston again. For accurate short passes for the total season Burnley are 15th. For INACCURATE long balls Burnley are 6th

You probably think this is football snobbery. It's not. No style deserves to win over another style. The team who passes the best doesn't win and it'd be boring if it was so. But it's not snobbery to call a team what it is. And Burnley don't have the ball and then get it forward long and quickly when they do. So its not controlled and measured. 

I can tell you how Derby play. And it's not like Barcelona either. But we're opposite to Burnley in almost every way. But when I say this it sounds like snobbery because nobody likes to admit to percentage football. It's not snobbery because you're better at what you do than we are at what we do. We're trying to play fast short football with a handful of slow thinkers who don't look up. You're playing a grafting game with grafters and disciplined players. It makes us look stupid. Defending is part of the game. 

You will finish ahead of us. And it will be deserved

There's a team in the PL that are giving football snobs a right good kicking. Leicester are one of the weakest possession sides in the PL.

I wasn't criticising. 

I reckon that is a great analysis. Out of idle curiosity anyone any idea why a particular style should be described as "workmanlike" in a faintly pejorative way. Almost as though being like a workman is not a good thing.

Odd.....

2 hours ago, Alpha said:

I've seen Burnley play lots of times. It's percentage football. Ipswich could probably pull out 5 goals that look like Barcelona but they're still an impressively hard working percentage team. 

I just looked to see if stats can back me up here. Burnley are third for most longballs in the league (Ipswich top, Preston second). Burnley average 47% possession and a 69% pass accuracy. Dribbling? Third from bottom behind Ipswich and Preston again. For accurate short passes for the total season Burnley are 15th. For INACCURATE long balls Burnley are 6th

Well I doubt it'd be a leap to say I've seen Burnley play a few more times than you and I think, having watched us managed by Steve Cotterill, I'd know percentage football when I saw it and I can tell you that's not what we play, regardless of the opinion you've formed from the 4 or 5 games you've watched this season.  We will play the ball long, but it is far from the only route we'll take.  You say you're not criticising and not showing snobbery but it's hard to see it as anything else, especially given this isn't the first time you've made such statements about Burnley (and in much more derogatory ways).

RE: the stats they don't tell a full story.  A long pass isn't always a hoof upfield. A short pass can just be pass after pass across the backline (which is all we were served up under Howe and that was the most bored I've ever been watching Burnley).

I haven't picked goals from throughout the season, that video is all the goals from the last 2 months (minus penalties), no picking and choosing or ignoring goals that don't fit an agenda.  So I'll ask again, point me to all that percentage football.  Or are you suggesting that we play percentage balls all the rest of the time apart from when we score?  And if that's the case why would we bother if we never got anything from it?

This isn't me taking issue with perceived "football snobbery", this is me taking issue with the fact that you're wrong.

On 03/03/2016 at 16:15, Ram a lamb a ding dong said:

Players have under performed. If they had played to potential (on paper) we would be top.

You sound like a forest fan there.

For clubs like burnley and birmingham who have limited squads, they might say that about us.

But I bet hull and boro and probably others think their squads are every bit as good as ours.

I think it stinks of arrogance when rams fans say we should be top with our squad.

Maybe the academy investment, and training facillities, the attendances, and the money spent by mel suddenly has some supporters think we have a god given right.

You get what you deserve based on on-field performances. Derbys players individually and collectively havent played very well this season on the whole if you ask me.

Slagging off burnley or hull or anybody else is just because we're p1ssed off.

if we were top and playing great stuff then we would be ever so complimentary and understanding of how difficult it is for other teams to keep up with us.

3 hours ago, ClaretMatt said:

Well I doubt it'd be a leap to say I've seen Burnley play a few more times than you and I think, having watched us managed by Steve Cotterill, I'd know percentage football when I saw it and I can tell you that's not what we play, regardless of the opinion you've formed from the 4 or 5 games you've watched this season.  We will play the ball long, but it is far from the only route we'll take.  You say you're not criticising and not showing snobbery but it's hard to see it as anything else, especially given this isn't the first time you've made such statements about Burnley (and in much more derogatory ways).

RE: the stats they don't tell a full story.  A long pass isn't always a hoof upfield. A short pass can just be pass after pass across the backline (which is all we were served up under Howe and that was the most bored I've ever been watching Burnley).

I haven't picked goals from throughout the season, that video is all the goals from the last 2 months (minus penalties), no picking and choosing or ignoring goals that don't fit an agenda.  So I'll ask again, point me to all that percentage football.  Or are you suggesting that we play percentage balls all the rest of the time apart from when we score?  And if that's the case why would we bother if we never got anything from it?

This isn't me taking issue with perceived "football snobbery", this is me taking issue with the fact that you're wrong.

For somebody who doesn't like assumptions you seem to be making some about how many times I've seen Dyche and Burnley. 

So apart from me seeing with my own eyes Burnley play here's some stats (again) because I can't provide video footage of me watching Burnley play, duck.

Burnley average 47% possession with a 69% accuracy (ranked 19th and 18th)

Burnley are only making 247 accurate short passes per game (15th)70 of which are inaccurate. Yet are playing 93 long balls on average (3rd). 55 of those 93 are inaccurate. 55. 

So would you say that makes for a good passing team? Long balls don't have to be hoofs down the pitch? I agree. So whats happening to 55 in 90+ long passes? Where are they going? Are they swallowed by the ref?

For successful dribbles of the ball Burnley are ranked 22. Again close to Ipswich (are you going to claim Ipswich aren't a percentage side?) 

So Burnley move the ball from back to front quickly. 

Yet you're ranked 23rd for key passes.

24th for key short passes

and 

6th for key long passes.

20th for chances created

I'll be honest, I'm really bored now. I don't care enough to look for more. I can see Burnley with my own eyes. I'm not even using it as a criticism. What you do is get the ball forward quickly. You don't control your possession. You don't build through the thirds. You go direct and more than half the time it's not accurate. 

Like I said. It's not snobbery because there's many ways to play and none are right or wrong. You will finish above us because you're better at what you do than what we are. I don't really care whether you accept that or not. 

The whole stats thing is only to back up what I've seen. You need to see it first.

You're either incredibly lucky to have such inaccurate long passing team create so few chances and and win so much. Or you know how to work the pitch. Which is why I called you workmanlike.

Not as an insult. Just don't know what else Burnley are.

It seems you have a problem with it more than I do. I'm not on Burnley's forum trying to convince you thar Derby are a great passing side. 

We are a passing side. With a handful of hoofers and statues that fook it up. One we bought from you. Terrific defender. Cack at football.

2 hours ago, Alpha said:

For somebody who doesn't like assumptions you seem to be making some about how many times I've seen Dyche and Burnley. 

So apart from me seeing with my own eyes Burnley play here's some stats (again) because I can't provide video footage of me watching Burnley play, duck.

Burnley average 47% possession with a 69% accuracy (ranked 19th and 18th)

Burnley are only making 247 accurate short passes per game (15th)70 of which are inaccurate. Yet are playing 93 long balls on average (3rd). 55 of those 93 are inaccurate. 55. 

So would you say that makes for a good passing team? Long balls don't have to be hoofs down the pitch? I agree. So whats happening to 55 in 90+ long passes? Where are they going? Are they swallowed by the ref?

For successful dribbles of the ball Burnley are ranked 22. Again close to Ipswich (are you going to claim Ipswich aren't a percentage side?) 

So Burnley move the ball from back to front quickly. 

Yet you're ranked 23rd for key passes.

24th for key short passes

and 

6th for key long passes.

20th for chances created

I'll be honest, I'm really bored now. I don't care enough to look for more. I can see Burnley with my own eyes. I'm not even using it as a criticism. What you do is get the ball forward quickly. You don't control your possession. You don't build through the thirds. You go direct and more than half the time it's not accurate. 

Like I said. It's not snobbery because there's many ways to play and none are right or wrong. You will finish above us because you're better at what you do than what we are. I don't really care whether you accept that or not. 

The whole stats thing is only to back up what I've seen. You need to see it first.

You're either incredibly lucky to have such inaccurate long passing team create so few chances and and win so much. Or you know how to work the pitch. Which is why I called you workmanlike.

It seems you have a problem with it more than I do. I'm not on Burnley's forum trying to convince you thar Derby are a great passing side. 

We are a passing side. With a handful of hoofers and statues that fook it up. One we bought from you. Terrific defender. Cack at football.

I think you're wasting your time! I know stats aren't everything but if he can't see that they clearly back up what most people say about Burnley he never will.

To be fair it's easy to get caught up in things and miss the bigger picture when you are winning games and doing well. I don't remember too many people saying bad things when we were on our unbeaten run! And it probably wasn't until things started going wrong under Billy Davies that I actually realised how poor the football was!

I don't think we have been playing good /and sorry to say this but I don't think we have blown our chances yet.I think we will be 3 points of the auto's after the next 5 games sorry but I never give up on Derby like some on this forum

28 minutes ago, True Ram said:

I don't think we have been playing good /and sorry to say this but I don't think we have blown our chances yet.I think we will be 3 points of the auto's after the next 5 games sorry but I never give up on Derby like some on this forum

No need to apologise, we could do with a few more like you around!

This message is brought to you by DCFCFans proud partner of The Samaritans.

4 hours ago, Alpha said:

So go on, how many games have you watched then?  Or if you don't want to go into specifics (nothing shifty there) would you say it's more than a Burnley season ticket holder that occasionally goes to away games?

Back to the stats again.  I never claimed we were a shortpassing possession based side or that we didn't hit long balls but percentage football suggests hit and hope which we aren't.  I asked you to watch the goals and point out all the percentage football, maybe if I ask again it'll be 3rd time lucky?  Or does what you see not tally with the stats, which are clearly the be all and end all of the matter so it's the video that must be wrong.

4 hours ago, Alpha said:

I wouldn't claim anything about Ipswich, I've only seen them play once all season.

4 hours ago, Alpha said:

You seem to want to pigeon hole sides into set categories but as a team Burnley really do mix up their approach.  The only thing we do consistently is move through the phases quickly to attack, yes with long passes but also with short passes.  If you watch us play half as much as you're implying you'd know that.

There's plenty of other words that don't have quite the same negative connotations as workmanlike to describe something like that.  Hardworking, effective, efficient but no you went with workmanlike which suggests ugly, hoofball clogging football.

But then I expect that from someone that seems to have a real chip on their shoulder about Burnley...

On 04/11/2015 at 05:42, Alpha said:

Burnley are a hoofball team who lose territory and possession regularly. But it seems that's how they want it. 

On 02/10/2015 at 20:41, Alpha said:

Burnley are fooking ugly. I dunno what all Dyche hand signals are about because how hard can it be to remember to hoof it? He's the new Billy Davies. I couldn't watch this ***** every week even if we were winning. It's not football. 

Shows how crap some of the Champ is that Burnley and Ipswich manage to score. They're clueless on the ball and really hoofing in the channels shouldn't be winning games. I don't know how they get by with it. 

On 02/10/2015 at 20:52, Alpha said:

Actually I take it back about Ipswich. They battle for every pass, header, bounce etc etc. You have to be a fast thinking player to work under the constant pressure they apply. 

Burnley though... Every time i see them it looks like they're hanging on and then a hoof, a chase, a shoulder barge, a shot and they've scored. It's fast but ffs

Archived